McCoy Nuggets

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: McCoy Nuggets

Postby MrMik » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:56 pm

dogtowatch wrote:Which Nugget shape and length would you gentlemen recommend for a less than average surfer who is nine stone ten, and only rides chest and below and is in his 50's. Thanks. Hope the answer aint a Nugget!

Just ask Geoff and give him an honest account of your abilities and aspirations. But he might of course recommend a Zot, which is really not that much different if you are below average ability, just even easier to surf than a Nugget.
MrMik

Postby dogtowatch » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:50 pm

Thanks chap, what length of Zot do you think would suit me [136 pounds] who struggles with most boards paddle wise below a 9'+ log....
dogtowatch

Postby MrMik » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:35 am

dogtowatch wrote:Thanks chap, what length of Zot do you think would suit me [136 pounds] who struggles with most boards paddle wise below a 9'+ log....

As far as I know The Astron Zot comes in lengths up to 7'1''. That's what I have and I weigh about 85kg.

I don't know what was wrong with the longboarder crew at Burleigh Heads this morning. but it seemed like they caught only half as many waves as I did on the Zot. Most of the time (in fat waves), competent longboarders seem to have a small but clear advantage over the Zot. I think it must have been the weekend warrior crew and they were probably all on thruster longboards. It could also be that my fitness and skills are improving rapidly because I surf so much more since I have the Zot.
Anyway, my hypothesis is at this stage that a large Zot paddles and catches waves as well as a thruster longboard.

After a while I got bored with having to restrain myself from hogging all the waves in the main surfer pack, so I paddled further up the point and had a crack at catching more hollow waves very close to the rocks with few other surfers. These surfers were on short boards and they were much more competent than myself. Luckily there were only a few surfers there at times, so I got my chances and I gathered the confidence to drop in later and steeper than I usually do and the Zot worked brilliantly.
It's always surprising how soft and fluffy those rocks at Burleigh are....my feet and bum encountered the rocks a few times today, but I managed to keep the Zot undamaged.

Anyway, unsophistocated as my understanding of surfboard design is, I don't think the Zot is much different from a single fin Nugget.

Geoff also shapes longboards. Just get some advice from him, he knows what he's doing and I doubt you will be disappointed.
MrMik

Postby skimmer2 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:32 am

dogtowatch wrote:Thanks chap, what length of Zot do you think would suit me [136 pounds] who struggles with most boards paddle wise below a 9'+ log....

Your much lighter than I but I'm not far off your age and maybe around the same as you for surfing ability......well....I'm about the same in that I have my best days on chest high waves when I am on the nugget. I have an 8ft 2 nugget and love the board...it's brilliant for chest high waves and bigger....paddles brilliant too....as fast as some longboards I've tried. However, if I'm being honest, nuggets are at their best on waves chest high and above. They will surf small stuff fine but they are much much better on waves with a bit of power.

If I were you I would look elsewhere.....from the type of waves you want to surf.....and the fact that you might struggle on smaller boards paddling wise....I'd go for a longboard or, because you are under 10 stone, a mini longboard would be even better....an 8ft 6? I would deffo speak to a good shaper as they will steer you in a diff direction and save you the big bucks you will fork out on a McCoy (if you are in the UK). I also have an 8ft 2 speed egg which has a flattish rocker - great board for the UK.
skimmer2

Postby dogtowatch » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:00 pm

Thanks gents. I have a 9'2 Saunton Foil.Love it, but transporting it can be a pain, so am looking for that allusive small wave weapon I can occasionally chuck in the car.Maybe need a big fish.... which leads me back to Jools I guess.
dogtowatch

Postby dogtowatch » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:00 pm

Thanks gents. I have a 9'2 Saunton Foil.Love it, but transporting it can be a pain, so am looking for that allusive small wave weapon I can occasionally chuck in the car.Maybe need a big fish.... which leads me back to Jools I guess.
dogtowatch

Postby Andy7 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:48 pm

I was looking for the same thing. I ended up with a Love Stick from Teardrop in Camelford. Its a big fish shape, twin fin 7'x22"x2 3/4". I've used it from knee to head high and it always surfs amazing. Everyone who has had a go, now wants one. Someone is selling a 6'10" version of it in the for sale section on here. I think the title of the post is "Something for the smaller days"
Andy7

Postby dogtowatch » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:30 pm

Thanks Andy, cold be just the ticket.
dogtowatch

Postby revolutionsurfer » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:43 pm

0.jpeg
0.jpeg (150.17 KiB) Viewed 628 times

6'0'' Greg Pautsch Shaped Lazor Zap single fin. Florida surf trench digging.
What is called eloquence in the forum is commonly found to be rhetoric in the study.
revolutionsurfer

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:37 am

Reese L?

More please! :-D
Archy_is_God

Postby revolutionsurfer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:36 am

Archy_is_God wrote:Reese L?

More please! :-D

Yep. Reese. There are others, but this is the only one we are allowed to use right now. I'm going to get vid, interview and more photos hopefully soon. Reese tells me this is one of the best he has ridden. His words were...Cheyne and Geoff were right.
What is called eloquence in the forum is commonly found to be rhetoric in the study.
revolutionsurfer

Postby Cuttlefish » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:57 am

I'm curious which model is the closest in the McCoy nugget range to the lazor zap?
While I'm asking questions does anyone have any ride experience with the Surftech 6'6" nugget who is approxiamately 200lb?
Cuttlefish

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:08 am

I was always under the impression that the Stumpy was a more rounded out version of a Zap...

I think that the foil and outline, if not anything else, have more in common with a Zap than any other Nugget.
Archy_is_God

Postby Cuttlefish » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:05 am

Oh no....not the Stumpy!
I'm not going down that track again.
Bought Kooksters Stumpy and after surfing it in 3-5' spitting, beachbreaks at Broken head I promptly got rid of it.
It did not deliver for me. :-(
Cuttlefish

Postby Bearded Gimp » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:40 am

I've ridden the 6'6 surftech, (I'm more like 185lbs but I think it would be fine for a 200lber) - it was the first McCoy I rode actually. I found it OK. It had the plastic fins in, which I now know do nothing for surftech mccoys, and I don't particularly like non-gun boards that long, but even so there were enough moments that made me want to get a shorter one. I passed it on to my bro who rides it all the time and loves it.

You might want to join burnsie's FB mccoy riders page and have a chat with Ian Brown. He's a pretty big guy by the looks of it and rides all the surftechs from 6'6 upwards as well as a number of customs from Geoff

Re the zap, I would have said the Stumpy as well (never ridden a stump mind you). I get the feeling though that the zap is a bit out there on its own. My surftech one doesn't surf much like my allround nugget, although you can just about tell they're from the same family. I reckon I'll get a poly Zap at some point, just not for £750 (although I must admit that my wallet hand was twitching a little when I popped into DTL in August)
Bearded Gimp

Postby revolutionsurfer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:42 pm

I agree with Geoff's latest vid. I think these boards do better with weight.
revolutionsurfer

Postby Cuttlefish » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:40 am

Got a link for that one Noel?
You do a lot of eps nuggets though don't you?
I'm not too keen on poly anymore.
Thinking Surftech (boo, hiss) purely for crowd control/ peace of mind.
Things get hectic on the points in Autumn and summer.
I really don't want to be constantly repairing a lovely hand shaped McCoy poly as it would just make me sad.
A Surftech...ready to rumble...especially when they have a core that doesn't suck water.
Make jokes here...about them sucking.
Cuttlefish

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:04 am

Cuttlefish wrote:Oh no....not the Stumpy!
I'm not going down that track again.
Bought Kooksters Stumpy and after surfing it in 3-5' spitting, beachbreaks at Broken head I promptly got rid of it.
It did not deliver for me. :-(

Interesting...

I've had my eye on a Stumpy recently, as I've been thinking that it would be the best fit for my sort of surfing.

What issues did you have? You have a Zap as well at some point? What were the main differences?
Archy_is_God

Postby Cuttlefish » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:19 am

The zap needed to be turned rail to rail rather than letting it just run.
I didn't dis-like it but there was a certain slowness in-between thinking of what you wanted to do on the board and the board actually doing it.
Once it did it it got the job done.
As opposed to say for eg a DVS carbon/eps rocket fish I had which would react so fast that I had trouble keeping up with what it was doing.
I found with the Stumpy I couldn't get the speed I needed out of the board to beat sections when surfing it in barreling 3-5' waves.
I recall digging my toes into the deck in a vain effort to turn the board while trying to beat a lip.
I was supposed to be laughing according to the spiel. I was just frustrated.
Paddled back in and grabbed a 7'8" gun I had in the car (ready for chunky Lennox) and paddled back out on that. Speed problem solved but cruising on that much board.
Cuttlefish

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:18 am

So it didn't have much 'run'? More of a 'pocket-dweller' maybe?

What were the dims please? Do you reckon a slightly longer one with a longer rail line could help with a bit of drive and projection? (I guess the aternative to this would be shorter-but-narrower to get the same rail line)

Cheers and sorry for the barrage of Qs :D
Archy_is_God

Postby Cuttlefish » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:09 am

If memory serves the Stumpy was 6'4" X 20" X 3" but could be wrong. The board is discussed back in this thread somewhere as it was Kooksters.
My zap was 6'4" X 21" X 3" (I think).
I was a while ago now Archy and my memory is poor so I can't recall why I thought it was not my style.
Plenty of boards since then.
:roll:
Cuttlefish

Postby revolutionsurfer » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:24 pm

[quote="Cuttlefish"]Got a link for that one Noel?
You do a lot of eps nuggets though don't you?
I'm not too keen on poly anymore.
Thinking Surftech (boo, hiss) purely for crowd control/ peace of mind.
Things get hectic on the points in Autumn and summer.
I really don't want to be constantly repairing a lovely hand shaped McCoy poly as it would just make me sad.
A Surftech...ready to rumble...especially when they have a core that doesn't suck water.
Make jokes here...about them sucking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-5AhAnX200&feature=plcp

I don't do many nugget style anymore. I did a couple through GP not long ago. Doing more eggs, double enders, Minis and Zaps. Stuff goes in circles. I rode my Geoff Nugget not long ago and rode my Geoff Mal the last two swells. Prio to that my new Cheater. I'm looking at either a stock thruster big boy or a mini Stall as my next board, but I'll never give up wide tail single totally. I'm not wild about pop out Tech for me personally. The hand shaped variety is much more lively and responsive in my opinion. I like weight when the surf moves over head depending on the type of wave. B
revolutionsurfer

Postby wurfysurfy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:13 am

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2013-TEAM-BO ... 43b31ae53b

any single fin Mcoy riders....this fin works well....

ive used it twice in my Zot & got my best wave yet on the ASTRON ?

also tried it in my longboard and it feels good

on the zot is gives a better drive and carves a longer arc whereas the GF is designed mainly 4short arcs

only drawback it needs doublesided tape to fit the larger aussie boxes.....perfect fit for the yank boxes and the boxes used in Cobra factory(the same i think)

thanks cuttlefish....about $25 delivered to OZ and will be convenient for my stand up too :lol:
wurfysurfy

Postby revolutionsurfer » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:37 am

wurfysurfy wrote:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2013-TEAM-BODYGLOVE-SUP-LONGBOARD-SURFBOARD-FINS-/290767693115?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b31ae53b

any single fin Mcoy riders....this fin works well....

ive used it twice in my Zot & got my best wave yet on the ASTRON ?

also tried it in my longboard and it feels good

on the zot is gives a better drive and carves a longer arc whereas the GF is designed mainly 4short arcs

only drawback it needs doublesided tape to fit the larger aussie boxes.....perfect fit for the yank boxes and the boxes used in Cobra factory(the same i think)

thanks cuttlefish....about $25 delivered to OZ and will be convenient for my stand up too :lol:

I can't find a fin to fit in one of My Aussie McCoys. What tape do you use?
revolutionsurfer

Postby Cuttlefish » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:35 am

Not a bad little score that fin hey?
I haven't tried it yet.
It's in my Naish Nalu 10'10" ready for cruising in the river.
I'll have to try it in one of my other surfboards too.
Cuttlefish

Postby wurfysurfy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:56 pm

GREAT score imo !...versatile fin for sure

in aussie boxes...just put doublesided tape along the bottom of the fin and it;ll take up all/most of the slack

another method ive used is put a plastic shopping bag in the box....u may have to fold it over a few times.....then insert the fin

the bits of bag that protrude from box can be cut off with a sharp blade..... :-D
wurfysurfy

Postby revolutionsurfer » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:16 am

wurfysurfy wrote:GREAT score imo !...versatile fin for sure

in aussie boxes...just put doublesided tape along the bottom of the fin and it;ll take up all/most of the slack

another method ive used is put a plastic shopping bag in the box....u may have to fold it over a few times.....then insert the fin

the bits of bag that protrude from box can be cut off with a sharp blade..... :-D

Thanks!
revolutionsurfer

Postby Archy_is_God » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:12 am

In the past I've used a piece of newspaper for skinny fins; as soon as it's wet, it swells and does the job nicely.
Archy_is_God

Postby Cuttlefish » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:51 am

I bought a FCS M5 templated centre fin with the single base a while ago and put it into my trusty 7'er.
Fin was really slack in the box.
Commented on how suprised I was at the poor fit to the owner of the surf shop.
He tossed me a small white packet.
Inside was not a fine white powder to cure my ills.
No sir this is not the good ole days.
Inside was a couple of "genuine" FCS shims.
Tried one in the box.
Perfect fit.
Tried the other methods mentioned but actually the little shims worked really well.
Bugger paying for em though.
:lol:
Cuttlefish

Postby monosurfer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:23 am

It would be f#@king great customer servise if they did give you a bag of white powder with the purchase of a fin !
monosurfer

PreviousNext

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design