McCoy Nuggets

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: McCoy Nuggets

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:07 am

Good idea, haven't seen it yet though!
Archy_is_God

Postby Cuttlefish » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:56 am

Got that board yet Arch?
The waves have been pretty decent of late.
Today started undersized at 1-2' but have jumped to 3-4' through the day and Maroochydore was pumping this afternoon.
Dead offshore grooming it.
The zot is still giving me a great run.
Cuttlefish

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:00 am

Not yet! I have been out of the sea because of a sinus op anyway....

Would love to surf Maroochy right now, love that place.
Archy_is_God

Postby Cuttlefish » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:30 am

You would have been frothing.
The left at the rivermouth looked like an Indo reef break on a few sets.
Here's the bouy readings...
http://www.coastwatch.com.au/SurfBeach/ ... hHome-346/
Just so you know I'm not exaggerating. :-x
Cuttlefish

Postby nawgy1979 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:23 am

I've been pondering this one for a while and appreciate peoples thoughts.....

Geoff shapes his rails differently for his single fin boards than his thrusters to balance the amount of hold/release - this I understand and it seems to be logical to me. However this got me thinking about how other shapers manage to offer multiple fin set up boards ? As an example, Takayama Scorpion that can be ridden as a quad or single or many of the five fin configured boards. Any thoughts ?
nawgy1979

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:11 pm

Depends on whole design, I think...

McCoy also rolls the edge further towards the tail to neutralise a board, which is what you will find on the cooking Nuggets/Zots etc avaialble to the likes of you and I...

However, if you were to look at the boards he shapes for Cheyne Horan etc, you would find a harder edge further up, working on the premise that a surfer like that will actually benefit from the extra quick release as they have the reactions and talent to benefit from it.

I have mixed feelings about this. 'Hold' can also mean 'drag' and in small wave boards, a hard edge further up can be beneficial, as you actually want the board to be as friction-free as posible. In punchier, hollow waves this isn't so much an issue, but spinning out on a high line may be, so that hold becomes useful again. It's rare to find a noserider with a hard down rail in the tail, as it releases and to keep the tail anchored while noseriding, rolled rails are the norm. It seems that McCoy employs a similar logic to shortboards. He does harden up the edge after the fin, though....

I used to have a vintage Midget Farrelly twin-fin about 15 years ago that had a super-hard edge nose-to-tail; went like stink, but was a handful in solid surf, especially with a bit of chop. Great in small, clean waves, though...

Geoff has stated that side fins are like 'training wheels' for those who haven't learned to ride singles. Devil's Advocate may counter-argue by asking 'why then look for extra hold with the rail shape?' :wink:

Boards that are built to ridden with multi-fin setups are often tainted with 'compromise' brush, but all boards are a compromise one way or another, like most things in life....
Archy_is_God

Postby flacky » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:38 pm

I know of a VGC nugget for sale if anyone's interested. 6'8 3 glassed on fins. 350 firm with a bag.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby BassAddict » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:06 pm

Eye - that's me who is selling. It's 6'10. I got it from someone off here I think down in Cornwall a few years ago but just never use it which is a shame as I'm sure it would be my no.1 board if I lived closer to the sea. It's better for it to be with someone who will at least use it. I reckon I've used it 5 times since it's been in my ownership. Still in great condition and I'm not fussed if it doesn't sell which is why I'm not taking offers under £350. I'll try to get a few pics up later.
BassAddict

Postby Cuttlefish » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:28 pm

nawgy1979 wrote:I've been pondering this one for a while and appreciate peoples thoughts.....

Geoff shapes his rails differently for his single fin boards than his thrusters to balance the amount of hold/release - this I understand and it seems to be logical to me. However this got me thinking about how other shapers manage to offer multiple fin set up boards ? As an example, Takayama Scorpion that can be ridden as a quad or single or many of the five fin configured boards. Any thoughts ?

The scorpion (for me) works best by far as a quad.
As a single it lacked drive (with the carbon 7' Takayama fin it came with).
Tried it as a thruster side with an M5 box based centre. Felt ok.
As a twin with smaller centre trailer. Ho hum.
As a bonzer with fcs bonzer ( set of four ) and 6" or so centre. Stiff and un-responsive.
As a quad it is purrrfect for me.
H2 large fronts and Scarfini med/large rears. If you're smaller simply use smaller fins than I do.
Loose and drivey with beautiful hold through full cutbacks.
So while all the options are there it doesn't mean all the fin set ups optimise the performance available.
I ride the scorpion in a shortboard style (suiting my age) and so for someone who wants to trim across a point break wall the single may feel better.
Cuttlefish

Postby Cuttlefish » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:30 pm

flacky wrote:I know of a VGC nugget for sale if anyone's interested. 6'8 3 glassed on fins. 350 firm with a bag.

Hey man, we're on an Astron zot, single fin trip here man!
:lol:
Cuttlefish

Postby BassAddict » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:51 pm

Guys, I've put a few pics up in the for sale section if anyone is interested. Cheers. Darren.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38815
BassAddict

Postby Kenny » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:14 pm

http://surfboardagency.com/mccoy-all-round-nugget/

What I found interesting about that website is that it gives volumes for more sizes in the Nugget range. From that I can infer that my 6'8 x 21 1/2 x 3 1/8 must have had a volume in the high 50s. No wonder my other (smaller) boards have since felt like toothpicks in comparison.

I would think, however, that some of that buoyancy was counteracted by the high quality, heavy glass job. The cynic in me causes me to suspect that these are not similarly constructed and so may be too corky. I actually appreciated the extra weight of my old board, giving me a bit more oomph when I was on the verge of puling back on steeper/bigger take offs. Wish I'd never sold it now.

Anybody know how much these epoxy boards sell for?
Kenny

Postby thechimp » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:39 pm

yeah.. had a look down the bottom on latest news it states...TSA+MSW
no McCoys here..perhaps the container ain't arrived yet!
thechimp

Postby MrMik » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:43 am

I recently bought another (used) McCoy board, not sure if this is a Nugget or a Gun or Semi-Gun or whatever it should be called. :-)

It's 7'6'' x 20" x 3 1/8" thruster.

DSC_0105 103x340.jpg
DSC_0105 103x340.jpg (14.81 KiB) Viewed 523 times
DSC_0107 131x340.jpg
DSC_0107 131x340.jpg (12.88 KiB) Viewed 523 times
DSC_0114 101x340.jpg
DSC_0114 101x340.jpg (9.13 KiB) Viewed 523 times

It is of the same thickness as my 7'2'' Nugget and thinner than my 6'8'' Nugget, but it is longer and slimmer than both the others, which are 21 1/2'' wide.

So what do you call such an "Object"?
MrMik

Postby Cuttlefish » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:20 am

Mini-gun.
Scroll down to bottom of page.
http://www.mccoysurfboards.com/v1/surfboard-brochure
Cuttlefish

Postby MrMik » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:55 am

Cuttlefish wrote:Mini-gun.
Scroll down to bottom of page.
http://www.mccoysurfboards.com/v1/surfboard-brochure

Thanks! Although, looking at the brochure, I think that "Semi Gun" is the closer choice. It seems to be a slightly wider and slightly thicker than average semi-gun.

The tail also looks a bit more like the tail of the semi-gun compared to the mini-gun, and mini-guns apparently only go up to 7'0'' length.

DSC_0117 236x340.jpg
DSC_0117 236x340.jpg (13.88 KiB) Viewed 515 times
MrMik

Postby Cuttlefish » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:02 pm

Why not email Geoff with the pics and ask him.
Is it a custom (ie customers name on stringer)?
If so it's probably an inbetweener.
Cuttlefish

Postby glamarama » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:39 pm

I reckon it's a nugget (shape) from the late 1990's or early 2000's. much narrow nose on the nuggets back then to how GM makes them from mid 2000 to now.

I prefer the earlier nuggets for that reason. Turn much easier.

Looks like a good board.
glamarama

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:10 pm

Looks like some kind of gun, semi or mini - not much in a name

Is it a McCoy or a Rodgers?
Archy_is_God

Postby MrMik » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:35 pm

It was shaped by Geoff in 2000 for "Wayne".

The nose and tail are dinged and need fixing, and it has one larger ding on the bottom that would look better if fixed, but is not urgent to be done. In a pinch, if a miracle swell turned up tomorrow, I could stick some duct tape on tail and nose and take it for a surf.

I wonder how to best get used to this board. Would it help much to ride it in smaller waves than what it was designed for? Or just wait until the waves get big, then take it out and hope for the best? :?
MrMik

Postby wurfysurfy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:34 pm

hi Mik, shame u didn't get it for $205 ! ha ha

this board is actually the forerunner of the mini gun, GM called them a NUGGET GUN

if u look at the nose width @ the 12inch mark...the mini gun is a lot wider

i had 2 of this shape ...98 build was 7/0x20x3 12.5 nose 15 tail

99 build was 7/10 x20 x 3....12 nose 14.5 tail

your board looks 12 nose to me with 14.5 tail(but maybe 15)

the semi gun tails are usually in the 13.5 to 14 range....this varies with the centre width....ie, 20 is a 14....19 wide is a 13.5

as for tuning in, waist high it'll cruise nicely....shoulda high and it'll start to carve

OVERHEAD and u will be flying :lol:
wurfysurfy

Postby MrMik » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:23 pm

A "Nugget Gun" --- I like that name! That's what I'll call it. Thanks. 8)
MrMik

Postby wurfysurfy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:15 am

:lol: hi Mik, I went and picked up the 7/2 that Stacey was selling yesterday.....one minor ding that will be suncured tomorrow.

7/2x20.5x3and 1/8....13.5 nose and 15.5 tail......so its a mini gun but when it was made was probably referred to as a Nug gun !

You probably saw it when you picked up yours
wurfysurfy

Postby MrMik » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:33 am

wurfysurfy wrote::lol: hi Mik, I went and picked up the 7/2 that Stacey was selling yesterday.....one minor ding that will be suncured tomorrow.

7/2x20.5x3and 1/8....13.5 nose and 15.5 tail......so its a mini gun but when it was made was probably referred to as a Nug gun !

You probably saw it when you picked up yours

There was another McCoy standing there, but she said it was already sold.

I spent a few hours today repairing the Nugget Gun, sanding off all damaged glass and foam from the nose and tail, then Q-cell-layering and suncuring, then several layers of 6oz glass and suncuring, then a final coat. Unfortunately it was not quite sunny enough to perfectly cure the last coat, but it will get there eventually. Just a bit more sanding to do, to get the rail just right at the tail. The tail and the narrower width is where the most obvious difference to my other Nuggets is: The tail is not round, but slightly pin-tailed, and more difficult to repair than a perfectly round Nugget tail.

I was tempted to take it out for a surf this afternoon, but decided against it and took the 9'1'' McCoy Performance DB instead. Got 2 very long rides in front of Greenmount, much fun! :mrgreen: Almost managed to hang 5...
MrMik

Postby wurfysurfy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:06 am

yes, I won that auction after u beat me to the 7/6....a quick fix in morning and ill be riding it in whatever I can find....possibly a hike in swell mid week....will check the reports tomorrow night :-D
wurfysurfy

Postby MrMik » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:21 pm

wurfysurfy wrote:yes, I won that auction after u beat me to the 7/6....a quick fix in morning and ill be riding it in whatever I can find....possibly a hike in swell mid week....will check the reports tomorrow night :-D

Aha, that was you! :-)

I soothes my conscience that I did not use any nasty bidding strategies that you did not try yourself :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Just beat you to it by being 2 seconds later!

I find it actually unusual that a McCoy board auction on the Goldie went until the scheduled end. It seems as though most of the auctions mysteriously end early, at least the auctions for Zots.

Anyway, I have to stop buying more McCoys, I'm running out of space. But, :wink: maybe just one more, a 6'6'' Zot would be nice. The 6'2'' I snatched up recently is a little too small for me (maybe later??), but it's perfect for my son. He can knee-paddle it, but it is very loose with the fin all the way forward. I can see that his surfing is improving rapidly since he is on the 6'2'' Zot. He manages to do some decent turns (for someone burdened with some of my genes!) on it and at the same time the stability of the board gives him time to look at the wave ahead and plan what to do next. He's having a ball on that Zot, and he could probably continue to ride it through his teens and probably never exceed the limits of the board. Oh, well, if he thinks so, then he'll just have to start to pay for his own boards then! :lol:
MrMik

Postby wurfysurfy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:49 pm

Hi Mik,u cant have too many McCoys....the glass ones will end sooner or later,so a few in reserve is money well spent AND when production stops they will appreciate in value like the 60s longboards, lazer zaps from 70/80s.Also picked up a girls nugget for my partner on Sat.8/2x22x3and1/4....pink with some flowers sprayed both top and bottom.9/10 condition.plenty of overlap in my collection but no depreciation at the prices I pay. :lol:
wurfysurfy

Postby MrMik » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:01 am

I surfed the Nugget Gun for the first time today and was very surprised by how small it's volume is compared to other McCoys.

Although it's 7'6'' long, I can duck-dive it very effectively - but it paddles fast!

It feels like the volume is about the same as a 6'2'' Zot.

The waves were not appropriate for this board today(2-3 ft) and I would have had much more fun on the longboard, but I'm glad I tried it out. It gives me confidence that it will perform very well in bigger surf. And the knowledge that I can duck-dive it - priceless! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
MrMik

Postby nawgy1979 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:36 pm

nawgy1979

Postby Archy_is_God » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:07 pm

Regrettably, I have Dixie's once-used Zot up for sale as my cash flow did not flow the way I anticipated recently.... :? Would love to ride it and hang on to it, but unless I get lucky on the old Thunderball tonight, I will have to say au revoir to it.

I will sell it with the Gull fin and Larry Allison Spitfire fin as a special deal package to MSW members for £650.

The board is basically new - could easily go back in the rack at Trev's as unridden.

Drop me a PM if keen
Archy_is_God

PreviousNext

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design