Solo Surf Trip

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Solo Surf Trip

Postby JCMason » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:45 pm

I am looking at going somewhere warm in September. It's been too long since I have had a nice holiday but I don't have anyone to go with, mates are working etc. Has anyone had much experience(I'm guessing someone has) of going on a surf trip alone. I'm probably an intermediate level in the water. Anyone know of any European, or similar area places that cater for solos? Like places where you can hook up with other lonely surfers :-)
JCMason

Re: Solo Surf Trip

Postby majordom » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:42 am

hit one of the surfcamps in morocco - plenty of other threads on this

if you want somewhere with more nightlife then i suggest the canaries
majordom

Postby r896neo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:09 pm

I was in the same boat and went on my first surf trip on my todd in january. Stayed with surfmaroc (in morroco obviously) it was awesome couldn't recommend it highly enough. Relaxed atmosphere but a good whiff of organisation and professionalism that if something went wrong they'd be there to help.

A lot of people probably don;t care but it's more of an issue when your on your own and some of the other surf camps seemed a bit more ghetto.

There were at least 4/5 other solo surfers out of 20 people
r896neo

Postby jesster » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:19 pm

Surfcamps run all over Europe and you will always meet others like yourself. Surf Maroc are very good, as are Errant Surf-they do trips all over. Canaries, France, Spain, Morocco....they all have surfcamps. Look on here for some recommendations.
jesster

Postby surfrat » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:13 am

i'd recommend Surf Experience based in Lagos in Algarve. always busy and cater for a mix of levels. you get to surf in the lovely West Algarve national park but stay in Lagos with some nightlife
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby SST » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:38 am

+1 for Surf Maroc

I went there solo last January, stayed in L'Auberge hostel, which was full of solo travellers and friendly people, even met StevieSee off this very message board out there.

It was a great trip and there are waves for all sorts of abilities.
SST

Postby perusurf » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:29 am

I went solo to Taghazoute- morroco, nice place,many waves around, not too crowded, well, i've mostly travelled solo, hard to get someone to travel with you sometimes, what i do recommend is to get in touch directly with the surfcamps or rocommended place, webpages or agencies that offer surftrips allover do get a pretty high commission, i booked 4 nights at 45euros per night, total 180e!!(european price- it's morroco!!) and stayed extra nights at 15 euros for same deal...see what i mean. do some research and you could save some cash.
Last edited by perusurf on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.bravosurfcamp.com
$22 US or 16€ includes 3 meals per day, $11US or 8€ just lodging
Good waves all year round!
perusurf

Postby Steviesee » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:38 am

Hey SST getting any waves up in Shetland? Another heads up for Surfmaroc. I've never gone somewhere twice before but think I'll be heading back later in the year. In September I would be considering south of France. I'm not sure what the waves would be like in Morocco then, a bit hit or miss I suppose. There is that beach just north of Taghazout which always picks up swell so I'm sure you will get something. It will deffo be scorchio!
Steviesee

Postby SST » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:20 am

Certainly some waves to be had here, pretty patchy in summer, not too unlike Aberdeen I imagine. but I hear winter will be a different story though, almost looking forward to the cold....

I've settled on Surf Maroc again for November, just need to get it all booked up. The beach north of Taghazout had waves every day I was there, even if there wasn't a ripple in the village....
SST

Postby surf » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:41 pm

Nice to hear morocco is becoming more recognised, the surf there is awesome for all levels in the winter, id defo recommend momo at surf star though, hes a great surf guide say hi from steve wilkinson if you go, http://www.surfstarmorocco.com the surf camp is in tamraght on taghazout beach. good people, make you feel at home http://www.surfstarmorocco.com they have a good mix of guests so a solo surfer is good to go! enjoy
surf

Postby roreee » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:02 pm

another + for surf maroc. Was there last year and heading back in 2 months, travelling solo.
rb
roreee

Postby philo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:11 pm

I might go in December, 22nd - Jan 06. I can't see a price list on bravo surf camp!
philo

Postby perusurf » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:46 pm

I'll PM you with prices, good time to come, new year's big party!
http://www.bravosurfcamp.com
$22 US or 16€ includes 3 meals per day, $11US or 8€ just lodging
Good waves all year round!
perusurf

Postby jonmock » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:05 am

Do you have plan to travel in Malaysia for solo surf trip of yours? I'm gonna process the reservation in hostel malaysia for you depart to your summer trip.
jonmock

Return to Surf Travel