40th Birthday Surf Trip 2018

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

40th Birthday Surf Trip 2018

Postby beaner01 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:33 pm

Ok so I know it is a year away but need to start planning and saving. Looking for ideas on a surf trip for the big 40 next year. Wife does not surf and neither does my mates - but we do and it is my birthday ha ha. Trying to find a villa with pool and close to some good breaks - either think Portugal around Lagos area, we don't mind travelling for days out and went there in April and was great. Also looking at south Spain but don't know much about it.
Thought , ideas or other places to travel - kids will be 14 and 19 so not babies
Thanks for any help
beaner01

Re: 40th Birthday Surf Trip 2018

Postby majordom » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:00 am

hers my advice FWIW

make the 40th birthday trip with your family and mates something everyone wants to do - forcing them to 'surf' will waste everyones
time and energy

then go somewhere on your own and do some real surfing somewhere different - bali, costa rica, chile wherever

then go somewhere romantic without the kids - just you and your wife

you had a kid at 21 and then another a few years later and have worked you ass off to keep family happy and together - well done
you deserve a real holiday and so does she
majordom

Postby Leven » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:46 pm

majordom wrote:hers my advice FWIW

make the 40th birthday trip with your family and mates something everyone wants to do - forcing them to 'surf' will waste everyones
time and energy

then go somewhere on your own and do some real surfing somewhere different - bali, costa rica, chile wherever

then go somewhere romantic without the kids - just you and your wife

you had a kid at 21 and then another a few years later and have worked you ass off to keep family happy and together - well done
you deserve a real holiday and so does she

Best thing I've read on here for a while. If you try to cram family time, boozy benders with your mates and a surf trip into one holiday I don't reckon it'll work. You'll piss the family off, your mates will be bored, and you'll be too hungover to surf well!

1. Pick a place you've always wanted to surf, and do a last minute long weekend solo/with a surfing mate or two. You're only 40 once.
2. Have a boys weekend away with your mates getting rendered and reliving your youth
3. Have a nice quiet holiday with the family, somewhere with good value for money/exchange rates

I reckon with some careful planning, you could do all that for the same you'd spend on one trip....
Leven

Postby JayP » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:10 pm

What he said ^^^^^^
JayP

Postby beaner01 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:36 pm

Majordom I like your words thank you. I worded it a bit wrong as in my mates wife does not surf but she is just as ace as mine. I don't do lads trips and never have but hey I think I might be able to accommodate everyone in a few different trips. And yes my wife does deserve a nice break as she is great with the kids and my lifestyle.
beaner01

Postby JayP » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:19 am

My 40th was amazing. A month in Sri Lanka with a mate. Love that place. We travelled around a bit but mainly hung at A bay. The surf was good but the parties were better. It was the first year end of the war anniversary party at Hikkaduwa. Shit got crazy and it lasted a few days! The mrs had dumped me by the end of it though as apparently some of the phone calls home got a bit weird so definitely don't do that! :lol:
JayP

Postby beaner01 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:22 pm

I don't think I would get away with a month may be 5 days
beaner01

Return to Surf Travel