decent campsites near the sea uk

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

decent campsites near the sea uk

Postby clm » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:02 pm

i recently went to cornwall, working my way down the north coast (and incidentally had great surf, offshore breeze and the sun cracking the flags.)
I dont know what the concensus on here will be but to me a campsite is a quiet field, with bogs, sinks and hot showers. possibly on a farm. much of what you come across in cornwall is a hellish combination of picket fences, palm trees an screaming kids. not to mention hordes of fucking caravaners wheeling barrels of their own shit around (the perverts).
So a thread for the listing of nice genuine (and often cheaper) campsites where you can have a nice chill after a stoke surf.

this was was near st Agnes
http://www.multimap.com/maps/print/?qs=st%20agnes&countryCode=GB&lat=50.31806&lon=-5.18993&zoomFactor=15&loc_lat=&loc_lon=&dataPreferences=os
Its the one in the middle - the entrance is where there are two building by a sharp left-right in the road - near the 100 contour

This one near godrevy
http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=godrevy&countryCode=GB#map=50.23332,-5.32597|15|4&dp=os&bd=useful_information
Magor farm near coombe.

You all know trevedra with its walk down to gwenvor
http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=st+agnes&countryCode=GB#map=50.09256,-5.68242|15|4&dp=os&bd=useful_information
but this can get really rammed in season - the same people own brea farm which is visible on the same map for when school summer holidays make things super busy. not such an easy walk to the beach though still possible but great showers. much less rammed. prob no waves in july mind

north wales now. this was my favourite for years near hells mouth but they have recently brought in a no groups of lads rule. great shame as it is stumbling distance from the sun inn in llanengan
http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=st+agnes&countryCode=GB#map=52.81207,-4.53448|16|4&dp=os&bd=useful_information
its not marked as a campsite on the map but as Tyn Lwyn. Road goes right left after the pub and starts to rise. camp site on the left.

Long way to go if the waves are crap but ace site near towyn
http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=st+agnes&countryCode=GB#map=52.62962,-4.11893|15|4&dp=os&bd=useful_information
labelled Cae Du

and finally because im running out of stamina - no idea if this is near any breaks - suspect not due to the islands but this is a truly spactacular place.
http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=godrevy&countryCode=GB#map=58.06525,-5.36013|14|4&dp=os&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:58.02258:-5.34764:14|achiltibuie|Achiltibuie,%20Ullapool,%20Ross-shire,%20Scotland,%20IV26%202
The brae of achnahaird. now ive checked it does seem to be exposed to a northerly swell.

if people think this will lead to great sites being overrun ill delete it - to be honest i think the people who run these places deserve the cash.

also some east coast knowledge would be appreciated.

could this be sticky??
Last edited by clm on Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
clm

Re: decent campsites near the sea

Postby new_tangled » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:35 pm

This one is excellent...

Spider webs in toilet, fire wood and permissions for camp fires, loads of space, basic and highly recommended:

http://www.lovecamping.co.uk/campsites/ ... leaze-farm
new_tangled

Postby Chris F » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:00 pm

Hi clm, not sure if the last link is right, show's middle of Staines?

If it's the one at Achnahaird, near Ullapool, I'm afraid it closed last year. Was one of my faves in Scotland. Did get waves, but not very reliable.

Best we have found for Northumberland is http://www.beachcomber-campsite.co.uk/ good for Northerly crags too. Big beach that may or may not get swell, but close to Bamburgh. No pub in walking distance though, but a lot cheaper than any of the other campsites in the area.
Chris F

Postby clm » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:42 pm

weird, doesnt for me though im sure staines is nice. thats shocking news :cry: . you mean the one you have to drive past stac pollaidh to get to yep.
clm

Postby sidneysnake » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:51 pm

good post. defo worth a sticky.
** Banthamsurfcam.com ** New Surf Photo Book - Atlantic Surfers ** Buy my stuff!**

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. Never take anyone's opinion as fact.
sidneysnake

Postby sidneysnake » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:54 pm

I'll chuck in this one for good measure. Also WeAreMemories folks run a campsite about half way down Bantham lane, all mod cons (toilets, showers).
** Banthamsurfcam.com ** New Surf Photo Book - Atlantic Surfers ** Buy my stuff!**

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. Never take anyone's opinion as fact.
sidneysnake

Postby Chris F » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:06 pm

clm wrote:thats shocking news :cry: . you mean the one you have to drive past stac pollaidh to get to yep.

Aye, closed I'm afraid. Meant to be a new one opening near the pub and cottages on the coast by Reiff, but they haven't got it together this year.
Sadly it will be in a more sheltered spot than the old one, so could be a midgy. But on upside, closer to pub.
Chris F

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:34 pm

Beardy Dave runs this one at Machrihanish on the Scottish West Coast - I've stayed in his wooden Wigwams as well - pretty cool - he has a big static van the campers can use as well to cook in 7 chill out.

http://www.campkintyre.co.uk/

Stayed in a nice one , seriously basic though at Whitesands near St.Davids in Pembrokeshire

http://www.uk-active.co.uk/surfing/surf ... esands.htm

The best one though is not getting posted up here : Waves to the left of me waves to the right , here I am stuck in the middle with you :wink:
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:59 am

sidneysnake wrote:good post. defo worth a sticky.

Yep, agree-good thread.

Out of season, the site at Llangennith is worth a look. I've had some great surfs on the Gower, even just on the main beach there at 'gennith. The showers and toilets are good and the caff is worth a look too. Apparently it's a mare in season though..

Also have to put a word in for my mate Clanger's place in Croyde-Cherry Tree Farm. Waaaay better than Surfer's Paradise and you can walk to Putsboro if you need to.
Last edited by Archy_is_God on Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archy_is_God

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:11 am

Chris F wrote:Hi clm, not sure if the last link is right, show's middle of Staines?

Yeah, the link for the one at Godrevy shows the Staines map too! Is it a conspiracy or something?? :lol:
Archy_is_God

Postby J L » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:14 am

AAyyyyyy da Staines masiv init

:wink:

TAXI.............................................................. :arrow:
J L

Postby clm » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:04 am

tried to fix those links. does anyone know where staines is?
clm

Postby J L » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:12 am

Middlesex not far from Windsor and Slough west of London, so to summarize no where near the sea :shock:
J L

Re: decent campsites near the sea uk

Postby pitmonkey » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:08 pm

Cool, I was just going to post a notice requesting info on free/cheap campsites in Cornwall for September. Keep em coming folks, the more the merrier. :) :) :)
...time is timeless...
pitmonkey

Postby teessurfer » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:22 pm

Just thought I would put a reply on about the north east coast. As I live near saltburn ive never had to stay in a camp site, but I have just google'd camping saltburn and there are a few, one called serenity looks pretty decent, cheap and chilled out. Its close to saltburn, runswick bay, whitby and a few other spots that you can find with a bit of luck There are plenty of other campsites all along the NE coast. Yeah the water is not as clean at the SW coast, and a bit chillier but the surf can get really good. The charts for this week are looking pretty special for July. Not very crowded on the busiest of days, loads of top pubs, restaurants and the odd surf shop in saltburn and whitby.

As long as you check to make sure there is some swell, you will have a brilliant trip.
teessurfer

Postby Kojak » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:05 pm

Chris F wrote:Best we have found for Northumberland is http://www.beachcomber-campsite.co.uk/ good for Northerly crags too. Big beach that may or may not get swell, but close to Bamburgh. No pub in walking distance though, but a lot cheaper than any of the other campsites in the area.

That beach is pretty poor, sandbanks are virtually non-existent! Definitely a good campsite though, my aunty stays there for a night or two when she comes to visit and loves it!
Kojak

Postby Chris F » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:50 pm

Thought it might be poor, beach is superflat. Ace for kite buggys though, and you can walk to the mystical Lindisfarne reefs :shock: Like I said, best we have found in area.
Chris F

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:12 pm

Kojak wrote:
Chris F wrote:Best we have found for Northumberland is http://www.beachcomber-campsite.co.uk/ good for Northerly crags too. Big beach that may or may not get swell, but close to Bamburgh. No pub in walking distance though, but a lot cheaper than any of the other campsites in the area.

That beach is pretty poor, sandbanks are virtually non-existent! Definitely a good campsite though, my aunty stays there for a night or two when she comes to visit and loves it!

She certainly does .............. mmuuuwwaaaa haaa haaa :lol:
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby pitmonkey » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:32 pm

Just came back from a trip to the 'North Shore', Cornwall that is. Stayed at a great little camp site Called Treago Farm in Crantock. £6 a night per person, regardless of whether you're in a van, caravan, tent or whatever, with all mod cons. Follow the road heading to Redruth out of Newquay, as you head out onto the main road, turn right onto road to Crantock/West Pentire and head on through the town heading to Polly Joke beach. Take a left at the big sign. Nice hosts and great views. Crantock Beach 5 min walk away, as well as Polly Joke. You can even walk over to Hollywell Bay from there if you're feeling energetic. Mind the gnomes and gobblins on the moonless nights though, there's plenty of em.
...time is timeless...
pitmonkey

Postby wigsy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:37 pm

http://www.newgalecampingsite.co.uk/

Newgale Campsite, in Pembrokeshire. On the road between Haverfordwest and St. Davids. Completely un-missable. Situated across the road from a 2 mile stretch of sand that regularly has surf of varying conditions. Also right next to a pub and a surf & hire shop (in which i currently work).
Lifeguarded beach, loads of people who don't know what they're doing (picture back to front and inside-out wetties), anywhere from 2 to 5 separate surf lessons a day during high season, but plenty of room to find your own space.

Campsite often floods in heavy rain.

Also a short drive away from Whitesands (which also has a campsite nearby), a few secret spots and of course Freshwater West.

(hope i did this right)

wigsy

Postby weedwabit » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:23 pm

Outer Hebrides isle of lewis free camping, check out area around Cliobh village (10 houses). The break, oft mistakenly named, is utter surfing perfection, not a bad site @ Eoropiadh either and a world class break. If these aint firing nowhere is &and when they fire which is pretty consistently - oh my god your in for a treat. Beautiful wild camping with awesome surf and a fucker of a trip from the S east (about 15hr drive incl ferry) but worth it every time. :brave: :brave: :brave: :brave: :brave: :brave: :brave: :brave: :brave: :brave: :brave: :brave:
Attachments
56879.jpg
Not my shot. Camping right in front of this, gets big 10'+ b4 closing out :-)
56879.jpg (123.29 KiB) Viewed 5549 times
Last edited by weedwabit on Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c4 n a quiver of sponges hate me, hate me!
weedwabit

Postby Devonsheaven » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:00 pm

Atlantic View at Porthcothan http://www.porthcothanbaystores.com/page6.htm

Super nice people that run it, sooooooooooooo much space as you can only camp around the outside of the field. Lovely little beach were you usually find a fire and people having a sing song in the evening (dont forget to take your litter home)

Not really a surf spot but plenty nearby.
Devonsheaven

Postby innocent surf school » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:16 pm

This place near Crantock is great and a world away from the Newquay madness.
It has a great little bar in a barn conversion too, with real ale and a pool table.
http://www.treagofarm.co.uk/

Elsewhere I'll second the camp site in machrihanish. Great spot although a little exposed to high winds so the caravan comes in very handy to shelter and brew up!

ATB

Innocent Surf School and coaching resort.
Nosara, Costa Rica.
innocent surf school

Postby Matt Rose » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:05 pm

Can we move this to the members area?
Matt Rose

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:26 pm

Good idea
Archy_is_God

Postby Chris F » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:37 pm

yup.
Chris F

Postby Black » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:39 pm

innocent surf school wrote:This place near Crantock is great and a world away from the Newquay madness.
It has a great little bar in a barn conversion too, with real ale and a pool table.
I got paralytic there on scrumpy when I was about 14.

Yeah members area would be safer.
Never growing old together...
Black

Re: decent campsites near the sea uk/Fresh in the West/Pembroke

Postby pembrokerocks » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:02 pm

we,ve got one ! at http://www.Pembrokerocks.com with Gypsy caravan, for those who like a twist of romance

but why not stay in the bunkhouse,prices range from £15 per night ,its brand spanking new! For a little extra why not eat with us. All organic local produce!
pembrokerocks

Postby Chris F » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:18 pm

Why not stay at a bnunkhouse?

Because this is a thread for personal recommendations of good campsites, ie where people stay with tents, not a place for your perpetual fucking spamming . :evil:
Chris F

Postby pembrokerocks » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:52 pm

Chris F wrote:Why not stay at a bnunkhouse?

Because this is a thread for personal recommendations of good campsites, ie where people stay with tents, not a place for your perpetual fucking spamming . :evil:

thats a bit strong,campers are welcome we have loads of land and the paddock with the gypsy caravan is for rent..up to 4 tents shower and toilet in the chapel all enquiries should be made via the website.We aim to accommodate all.I think that the level of cynicism that you are using is .....just not very friendly.lets make up and be friends, come stay here free for one night ONLY! :? :?
pembrokerocks

Next

Return to Surf Travel