Barrels in the Winter?

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Barrels in the Winter?

Postby Rohan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:53 pm

Hi everyone,

I am planning to take winter off and go and get some decent waves but was looking for advice on good places to go.
I'm a bodyboarder so i'm after hollow powerful waves. I've surfed Aus, NZ, Bali, Canararies and France so i'm quite confident. Ideally I want to live cheaply, in hostels etc, not have to hire a car to get to the breaks, it would be cool to have good night life but i'm not that fussed about that.

So I'm going to go to Mexico for October but not sure about the next 4 months . . .

October - Mexico (Puerto Escondido)
November?
December?
January?
February?

What do you think? Any places to stay, areas to visit or things to do would be greatly appreciated to?
Thanks
Rohan :-)
Rohan

Re: Barrels in the Winter?

Postby philo » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:42 am

Rohan wrote:I'm a bodyboarder so

No one is going to help you now that you have admitted to the sin of all sins.
philo

Postby Leven » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:28 pm

End of the season in Central America really, you'll get small waves, but nothing epic. Although, the Caribbean side of Panama? Or the Caribbean itself? Hawaii? That'll pump!
Leven

Postby Philshoz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:12 am

Good luck if Puerto Escondildo fires like the feature on MSW......... :shock:

With a sponge under your arm why not just hitch south, see where life takes you........... :idea:
http://philshorrock.blogspot.fr/
Philshoz

Postby ghotio » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:59 pm

Rohan wrote:
I'm a bodyboarder so

Oh here is the uber good internet surfer ... who tells you how many barrells he got over and over .... time to wise up pal , post some footage of yerself ripping up the NE and stop pretending to be a nob. Just under 1/4 of all your posts are pros surfing ....ripped from Youtube ... great, you must really know your shit , duuuude .

With a sponge under your arm why not just hitch south, see where life takes you...........

From central Mexico to try and hitch down south through Central America , would be highly risky(unless you look latino) Honduras, Guatamala, El Salvador, Panama , Nicaragua can be dodge off the beaten path . Adventure YES but not something i'd plan on.
ghotio

Postby Leven » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:06 pm

ghotio wrote:
Rohan wrote:
I'm a bodyboarder so

Oh here is the uber good internet surfer ... who tells you how many barrells he got over and over .... time to wise up pal , post some footage of yerself ripping up the NE and stop pretending to be a nob. Just under 1/4 of all your posts are pros surfing ....ripped from Youtube ... great, you must really know your shit , duuuude .

With a sponge under your arm why not just hitch south, see where life takes you...........

From central Mexico to try and hitch down south through Central America , would be highly risky(unless you look latino) Honduras, Guatamala, El Salvador, Panama , Nicaragua can be dodge off the beaten path . Adventure YES but not something i'd plan on.

Easy tiger, Philo was only kidding!

And going down through CA isn't that risky, pretty well travelled now. Just try and avoid the main cities, they're where the trouble happens! You'll need to know some Spanish though. I've spent quite a bit of time over there, and only ever had two problems, one of my own causing, and one because the guy was so cracked out of his head, he didn't know what country he was in!
Leven

Postby philo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:29 pm

I only really post in the videos thread, I don't really get into all the other shite on the forums really. Feel free to pop along with a tripod to some of the northeasts worst kept secrets to video me if you would like to.
philo

Return to Surf Travel