Most consistent, clean, glassy waves?

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Most consistent, clean, glassy waves?

Postby briggfoot » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:26 pm

Hey folks,
Just wondering where you'd go and live in the world for some nice waves if you had a year or two to yourself?

More and more I'm considering saving up, jacking it all in for a year or two and moving somewhere where I can surf every-day, or as often as possible, and maybe, one day, get half-decent?

Not after anything too heavy or big as it would most likely kill me, 3-4ft clean peelers every-day would suit my skill-level fine and I'm sure is not toooooo much to ask hmmmm. :shock: :lol:
briggfoot

Re: Most consistent, clean, glassy waves?

Postby surfrat » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:45 pm

mainland mexico.....lovely waves, mellow vibe, easy to lose yourself to the slow life there.
or portugal
or somewhere tropical of course
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby briggfoot » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:42 am

I hadn't considered Mexico, but reading about it last night, now I see where you're coming from.
Deep South/West Portugal looks lovely, near Sagres/South Algarve. Lots of options by the looks of it, and the pleasant weather and coast-line would still be fun during flat-spells.
briggfoot

Postby JayP » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:11 pm

I've never been anywhere that has more consistent head high and offshore surf than central America. God I'd love to spend a couple of years exploring there!
JayP

Postby briggfoot » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:39 pm

Yeah Central America looks crazy, as you say, so many breaks in the vast region, and some of it really is the back of beyond.

A little bit further South, in the Lima region of Peru and picking a random spot, just check out the forecast for the next few day:
magicseaweed.com/spot-seasonal-overview.php?spotId=2272 :-D :shock: :o

And the 'Seasonal Conditions and Historic Data' graph in green half-way down the page is just nuts! Solid ground-swells most days of the year if I'm reading it right.....(?)
briggfoot

Postby JayP » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:57 am

yep. You are! :-D I just got back from Costa Rica. Best trip I've been on for waves that suit me! Morning offshores are standard. Swell stayed around the head high and a bit range at most spots, occaisionally more rarely less but always with a nice big interval. You will surf with others but if you can arsed to explore (or get up early) you can get empty waves. Pricey though so next time its El salvador I think, or Nicaragua, or Panama. Doesn't Peru get rather chilly???
JayP

Postby perusurf » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:00 am

briggfoot wrote:Yeah Central America looks crazy, as you say, so many breaks in the vast region, and some of it really is the back of beyond.

A little bit further South, in the Lima region of Peru and picking a random spot, just check out the forecast for the next few day:
magicseaweed.com/spot-seasonal-overview.php?spotId=2272 :-D :shock: :o

And the 'Seasonal Conditions and Historic Data' graph in green half-way down the page is just nuts! Solid ground-swells most days of the year if I'm reading it right.....(?)

Where we are, we might not get perfect long barrels, but we got several long point breaks, beachbreaks even huge waves, all in about 7km, for sure you can surf anyday, it does get chilly in winter, coldest air 15°C water 16°C, but it isn't too bad, a 3'2 wetsuit is enough,
http://www.bravosurfcamp.com
$22 US or 16€ includes 3 meals per day, $11US or 8€ just lodging
Good waves all year round!
perusurf

Postby ghotio » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:39 pm

it does get chilly in winter, coldest air 15°C water 16°C, but it isn't too bad, a 3'2 wetsuit is enough,

haha can only dream this time of year , try -1 air and 7 degrees . (how do you get the little degree circle on your fonts ?)

Central America is hands down the best quality, most consistent , nicest climate option. Southern Africa if you had your own boat plane to go from east to west .? :lol:
ghotio

Postby briggfoot » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:33 pm

ghotio wrote:
it does get chilly in winter, coldest air 15°C water 16°C, but it isn't too bad, a 3'2 wetsuit is enough,

haha can only dream this time of year , try -1 air and 7 degrees . (how do you get the little degree circle on your fonts ?)

Central America is hands down the best quality, most consistent , nicest climate option. Southern Africa if you had your own boat plane to go from east to west .? :lol:

Brrrr, cold just thinking about it. But the chilly temps didn't keep people away this weekend - I had a look at Fistral Sunday and it was busy as summer.

Dreaming of Mexico then, SA looks so cool but more shaaaarks! :oops:
briggfoot

Return to Surf Travel