A South American Roadtrip

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

A South American Roadtrip

Postby CharlieCharlie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:06 pm

Hi everyone,

Myself and a few friends were thinking of doing a surfing road trip next year sometime, somewhere in South America - All very vague - and I wondered whether anyone could offer any ideas of a good place to explore for 2 or 3 weeks.

None of us are brilliant surfers - no pros but all strong intermediates I guess. We're looking for a coast that's hopefully littered with good spots, some empty but not a deserted coastline if possible. We thought a part of Brazil or Chile might make for an interesting journey but really, I have very few well informed ideas so would really appreciate it if anyone had any themselves.

Looking forward to hearing any suggestions, and thanks in advance.
Charlie
CharlieCharlie

Re: A South American Roadtrip

Postby singlefin70 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:20 pm

sounds fun,youd need an area with a few good spots,hope your spanish is reasonable,ive been to peru couple years ago,great fun long empty pointbreaks,you could base yourself around huanchaco a fun left with big town to have fun in,then if the swell hits big go to chicama,easy wave sand bottom,i found peru safe and cheap,not the most beautiful place but some great fun waves and not many dickheads,wherever you roam i wish you luck.....
singlefin70

Postby CharlieCharlie » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:04 pm

Thanks for the response. Yeah Peru's been another place that's cropped up whilst I've been looking into this idea, will certainly look into it in more depth. Chicama sounds like a must visit. Spanish is no problem and am working on the Portuguese so hopefully we won't be too lost wherever we end up going! Really appreciate the suggestion, thanks again.
Charlie
CharlieCharlie

Postby tubularbells » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:29 pm

100% Peru over Brazil and Chile, cheaper and great waves.

Personally I would only go to Chicama if there is a really big swell. It is quite a boring wave, Pacasmayo is much better and you can get long lefts there too.
tubularbells

Postby perusurf » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:02 pm

if come to Peru, starting in Lima, then must check out Punta Hermosa / San Bartolo and arounds, surfer towns, lots of breaks, then heading north bermejo, huanchaco, chicama, pacasmayo, lobitos, further up depends on seasons and swells, so look into that before if you plan to head further north than lobitos, some places are more developed than others, some are pretty deserted, november-december is a good time, before summer, nice weather and no people, some north swells that get the further northern part going nice.
http://www.bravosurfcamp.com
$22 US or 16€ includes 3 meals per day, $11US or 8€ just lodging
Good waves all year round!
perusurf

Postby rodent » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:14 pm

tubularbells wrote:100% Peru over Brazil and Chile, cheaper and great waves.

Personally I would only go to Chicama if there is a really big swell. It is quite a boring wave, Pacasmayo is much better and you can get long lefts there too.

Agreed, I would stay at Punta Hermosa until the swell goes over 2m and than read to paco's or chicama
Last edited by rodent on Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby CharlieCharlie » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:47 am

Thanks everyone for the replies, certainly liking the sound of Peru a lot at the moment. The other place that I had my mind on was Ecuador, due to the amount of breaks along the coast and the warm water/scenery etc, does anyone have any idea if that could be worthwhile?
CharlieCharlie

Postby tubularbells » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:33 pm

CharlieCharlie wrote:Thanks everyone for the replies, certainly liking the sound of Peru a lot at the moment. The other place that I had my mind on was Ecuador, due to the amount of breaks along the coast and the warm water/scenery etc, does anyone have any idea if that could be worthwhile?

Ecuador is definitely warmer. The coast picks up Northern swells unlike Peru (most of which is South facing, other than places in the North like Mancora), so it would depend on when you are going?

I would recommend places like Tunas and Ayampe over more crowded spots like Montanita. The guy we stayed with at Ayampe took us to a secret spot near there, which was a little hairy but a really good wave. The point at Mompiche is worth checking too altho does get a few people surfing as it's a famously long left.

Galapagos gets lots of swell but airfare is pretty hefty.
tubularbells

Postby Jorge Herreera » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:55 pm

if u come to ecuador u have to come january thought March is the seasson peru have more alternatives always brake something im a peruvian surf guide if u need any help just contact me at djpika.chu@hotmail.com
Jorge Herreera

Return to Surf Travel