Camping Gijon to Santander

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Camping Gijon to Santander

Postby dalejenga » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:14 am

Hi,

Currently in peniche but finding its nowhere near as good as we had hoped! We finish our eurotrip next Wednesday, so re thinking of doing the long drive tomorrow, giving us 6 days in northern spain, where the report looks pretty good!

Our rough plan is to head to rodiles, the to llanes/andrin, before anywhere else which takes our fancy before our ferry home. We're in a car camping, so having a campsite is pretty essential.

Seems like most places in the area are only open throughout summer.. Does anyone have any info on campsites which are open year round to pitch a tent?

Thanks for your help!
I think i biller'd the bong last week :)
dalejenga

Re: Camping Gijon to Santander

Postby errantsurf » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:12 pm

Try Camping Derby right on the beach in Loredo/Somo, great spot and you might get to surf Santa Marina (youtube it)
Errant Surf

Surfing Holidays - ATOL Bonded flights - Surf Charter Boats - Surf Schools
(+44) 020 8133 6438 | www.errantsurf.com |
errantsurf

Postby dalejenga » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:10 pm

We were hoping to stay west of Santander really, then work our way across eastwards for the ferry on Wednesday.

Any ideas?
dalejenga

Postby surfrat » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:58 am

loads of campsites and freecamping. But if you're surfing there's not that much around Llanes really, all small low tide coves for small swells really.
Check out the reefs near the campsite just west of Gijon. Rodiles is a must, even the beach break at east end is great. The beach in Gijon city is shite, just closes out.
West of Santander is a national park, about 20km with campsites and a great rivermouth break and beach break. Parque Nacional de Valdearenas i think. good on smaller swells up to 4ft.
San Vincente de Barquera has some good camping and some good breaks nearby...the middle of the beach is awesome on high to mid when smaller swells, and there's some shelter a 5 min drive away too. nice little area. Near Comillas which hold onto some secrets...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby dalejenga » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:07 am

Got to villaviciosa, the town near rodiles, really weird town and was empty, looked for a campsite and they're all closed! Free camping wasn't really an option as it was pissing it down and our stuff was already soaked from the night before. Decided to gun it to Santander, got here 10ish and stayed in a nice hostel.

Gonna go over to loredo now and stay camping derby. Anyone know if they offer bungalow style tents to rent? They don't have a website! Reports looking good though! Cheers :)
dalejenga

Return to Surf Travel