Taking longboard out to Barbados

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Taking longboard out to Barbados

Postby reserves » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:58 pm

Hi,

Heading out to Barbados in 3 weeks for 10 days.

Was going to rent boards from Zeds, however I don't want to waste money as gf & I were already considering buying a longboard to share.

It's free to take 2 boards with Virgin BUT they must be under 9' 1.

Considering taking out my Mini Mal (7' 6) and buying a fairly cheap 2nd hand longboard to take out.

Two questions:

1) Is a 9' 0 longboard going to be ok for me (13st, beginner slowly moving towards intermediate) and my gf (8st beginner). Without the baggage restrictions I would have prob gone 9' 6 or whatever is more 'normal'

2) Is it going to be a pain to travel with boards and should I just rent when I'm there.

Boards are looking at about $200 a week to rent.

Cheers

Rich
reserves

Re: Taking longboard out to Barbados

Postby r896neo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:20 pm

A 9' is good for you but will be an absolute barge for your GF. For her physically manoveuoring it while in the water will be very hard work. Once she has a bit more experience surfing it will be ok but the initial few months might really put her off. the 7'6 sounds more like it would suit her
r896neo

Postby Chai Wallah » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:12 am

Wing it with a 9 6 virgin will take it on, they do not have tape measures at check in.

I am taking mine next month.

Are you staying with zed?
Chai Wallah

Postby mountain man » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:20 am

Longboard to Barbados? FFS.
mountain man

Postby Chai Wallah » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:14 am

Another positive comment from Mountain Man.

Some great waves for a long board there mate
Chai Wallah

Postby yellowmal » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:19 pm

There are some great longboard waves in Barbados, surfed Freights loads when my daughter was learning, perfect little mal waves, there are plenty of others too and some classic shortboard waves!
Did have some grief from the baggage handlers at Gatwick, they have two red lines marked on the floor, if your board does'nt fit they won't take it. Pointed out I was flying virgin and showed them the email from Virgin confirming I could take the board and they let me through. Make sure you get an email or letter from Virgin confirming you can take a mal. The problem is with the Gatwick baggage handlers rather than Virgin.
yellowmal

Postby Chai Wallah » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:05 pm

Had that conversation with the baggage handlers before, the coffin is about 2 inches too long, but said it is just additional padding cos you guys have a habit of breaking boards. Got away with it.
Chai Wallah

Postby mountain man » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:18 am

Or you could just take and surf a proper sized board.
mountain man

Postby Chai Wallah » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:55 pm

Another positive comment from MM - will be thinking of you as I pull into perfect tropical waves on one of the 2 logs that I am taking.

A couple of Vids just to show you what I will be getting, whilst you sit at home looking at cold onshore wind swell whilst trying to convince yourself that the waves have been decent this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wc3X999kdo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bloTeqa ... re=related
Chai Wallah

Postby mountain man » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:30 pm

But yet again no actual photos or video of you surfing. Funny that.
mountain man

Postby swiggy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:56 pm

Chai Wallah wrote:Another positive comment from MM - will be thinking of you as I pull into perfect tropical waves on one of the 2 logs that I am taking.

A couple of Vids just to show you what I will be getting, whilst you sit at home looking at cold onshore wind swell whilst trying to convince yourself that the waves have been decent this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wc3X999kdo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bloTeqa ... re=related

Not trying to start an argument here, but those vids are not even close to perfect tropical waves. I surfed better waves than that last night, and it was just an average day. :? It may have been 10 degrees and pissing with rain, but the surf was better. First vid looks like a typical onshore day at any UK beachbreak, minus the boardies of course. Second one had a couple of better waves, but still pretty average. I would honestly be disappointed if I travelled halfway round the world on a surf trip and that was all I got. I know it gets good in barbados, I've seen the soupbowls vids etc., just curious why you chose those vids. But then I'm a shortboarder, maybe I'm missing the point.
swiggy

Postby Chai Wallah » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:58 pm

Swiggy fair point, they show average waves that are representative of what we found on poor / average days there on my last visit. We did get some classic days with offshore glassy perfection but in 2 weeks we had those conditions only about half of the time.

MM with your history of stalking not posting up pics of me, but enough on here have seen photos
Chai Wallah

Postby mountain man » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:17 pm

Stalking? You flatter yourself! MTFU and post some pics or stfu.
mountain man

Postby swiggy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:38 pm

Chai Wallah wrote:Swiggy fair point, they show average waves that are representative of what we found on poor / average days there on my last visit. We did get some classic days with offshore glassy perfection but in 2 weeks we had those conditions only about half of the time.

Ok, most of the time its trade windswell there right? And the good stuff is when you get a proper groundswell? If that is the typical surf then its probably a good longboard place.
swiggy

Postby Chai Wallah » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:57 pm

Swiggy Barbados gets loads of swell, the problem is the trade winds are on shore at the east coast spots ( soup bowls etc). If you get a north swell the west coast lights up and it is normally off shore, had some epic waves on the west coast including perfect maycocks, a perfect right at 4 foot and long long waves. pm me for some pics.
You also have good breaks on the south coast, which clean up well.

But even with the winds being onshore the waves are still real fun,warm and will glass off.

The other good thing about the island is that it is very easy to travel with a non surfing partner, they relax on great beaches and you get decent surf.

Here are a couple of better vids
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=rgrzN8EL ... LIxI&gl=GB
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eSfEA33xl4w

MM you might deny stalking but you did stalk a mate.

Edited cos I have started on the mount gay
Last edited by Chai Wallah on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chai Wallah

Postby Leedsol » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:54 pm

You've started on the Banks too early mate, the trades are from the east and Mullins, Maycocks etc is on the west. But yeah, perfect off shore west coast happens when a nice nova scotia swell happens. Went there 10 or so years on the run and normally got one good northerly ground swell a week in Jan or Feb. Used to get two weeks flights and accom for £500 with Airtours back in the day.

Bloody annoying when its just trades though with shift south coast conditions or blown out Soupbowls.

I stopped going just 'cos the traffic got too bloody chaotic and busy, what used to take 30 mins south to Maycocks ended up being 1 hour at least. Hope to get back one day mind
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

Postby Chai Wallah » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:09 pm

Ta, should proof read first.

And there are traffic jams there :-(
Chai Wallah

Return to Surf Travel