Flying BA to Morocco?

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Flying BA to Morocco?

Postby Steviesee » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:31 pm

Looking into getting away to Morocco over the festivities. Last year I flew with BMI, got the boards there and back from Aberdeen with no additional charges.

According to BA's website the max length they will carry is 6'3". I was planning to take my 6-0 & 6-5 in a 6-6" boardbag.

What do you reckon? Chance it or look for another airline?

Getting a good deal from Aberdeen too with good connections...

:roll:
Steviesee

Re: Flying BA to Morocco?

Postby Leven » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:07 pm

You're talking 3 inches.....I'd risk it. The top inch or two of a board doesn't do anything anyway! :wink:
Leven

Postby Steviesee » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:09 pm

You're right - I could even chop the nose off my 6-5 and get them both in a 6-0 bag.

Sorted!
Steviesee

Postby Steviesee » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:21 pm

####!

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=21763

Not sure if I want to take the chance, check out this from a couple of years back to Portugal!

Damm you BA!
Steviesee

Postby roberdy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:19 pm

Stevie, the restriction on BA boards is the size of the containers they put luggage into. When I went to Oz I only took a 6'0 wrapped and packed in a 6'3 board bag. Reckon best way to Moo-Roc is Easyjet for boards, they take anything, as long as you pay and can drive to an airport they fly there from.

You could check if BA are still using BMI aircraft and luggage systems or if the flights have been transferred to BA ones, check the flight codes, that will give you a steer.
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Steviesee » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:37 pm

Yup, been looking at Easyjet but the cost from London is about 50% more expensive than the total cost from Aberdeen with BA, and that's without surfboard surcharge, and I still have to get to London. :cry:
I'll try and speak to someone at BA...
I don't usually go to the same place twice, so I'm going to start looking into heading somewhere else. Where would you go at that time of year for 3 to 4 weeks? (Nothing too full on with a good vibe...Central America maybe?)
Maybe I should just head home to Castletown...gauranteed waves and free digs...liver may suffer somewhat though. :roll:
Cheers
Steviesee

Postby errantsurf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:08 pm

Wouldn't bother with BA at all. Easy Jet or Thomson for winter 2012/13 to Agadir...
Errant Surf

Surfing Holidays - ATOL Bonded flights - Surf Charter Boats - Surf Schools
(+44) 020 8133 6438 | www.errantsurf.com |
errantsurf

Postby Steviesee » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:26 pm

Ended up going to Morocco with BA. When checking in my board at Heathrow there was a South African with a 7 foot board bag in front of me, he had no problems, and I noticed guys checking in longer boards at Agadir on the way back too.
I only had my 6 foot board with me. Couple of days when I would really have liked to have had my 6-5... oh well never mind it was a great trip all the same. :-)
Steviesee

Postby Murtle's magic board » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:24 pm

I had real problems with BA and surfboard carriage, rang and spoke to different people all gave different advice.. In the end I couldn't take my board.... I will never travel with them again ...
Murtle's magic board

Postby redhighway » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:28 pm

"I had real problems with BA and surfboard carriage, rang and spoke to different people all gave different advice.. In the end I couldn't take my board.... I will never travel with them again ..."

Oh dear, when was this and were you flying to Morocco. I know BA are a bunch of robbing swines that should have a sub heading, Dick Turpin but...they bought the service from BMI earlier this year and after reading the post before yours I thought there was hope that they would just let the BMI rules apply. So, once again when was this and were you going to Agadir from Heathrow, Cheers
redhighway

Postby Murtle's magic board » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:41 pm

No, it was past experience with them when I flew to Portugal. I checked with them on a number of occasions if i could take a board over that limit. They said on each occasion yes, not a problem you just pay extra. I then booked the flights for 7 people wanting to surf... As you can imagine we couldn't take our boards. I made a complaint.
They answered but not to my question and then they just ignored me... rude... so for that reason I stay well away...

I would fly with someone else...
Murtle's magic board

Postby kevin988 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:28 pm

roberdy wrote:Stevie, the restriction on BA boards is the size of the containers they put luggage into. When I went to Oz I only took a 6'0 wrapped and packed in a 6'3 board bag. Reckon best way to Moo-Roc is Easyjet for boards, they take anything, as long as you pay and can drive to an airport they fly there from.

You could check if BA are still using BMI aircraft and luggage systems or if the flights have been transferred to BA ones, check the flight codes, that will give you a steer.
Maybe I should just head home to Castletown.....
Hope you enjoy most

Thank
kevin988

Postby redhighway » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:35 pm

why has this been re posted ?
redhighway

Return to Surf Travel