Portugal trip May 2013

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Portugal trip May 2013

Postby cairbnamara » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:49 pm

Oi gente!

i just need a little bit of information about travelling in a van around ericeira and environs in May. I am looking to get a van and am finding it difficult at present to find many options website-wise..there's a siestacampers.com but they only rent from Faro in the algarve.

Also, i see that its possible to just park up wherever in portugal although these posts on the forum are from 2010..has anything changed in portugal recently?

Finally, can you let me know if theres any good places to buy solid second hand boards around the ericeira area...im talking warehouse style places with shaped boards.

many thanks!
cairbnamara

Re: Portugal trip May 2013

Postby SanReg » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:20 pm

Contact boardculture or semente for boards - they are both in Ericeira

You could park up on Ribeira D'Ilhas no problem last year, always a few vans sleeping there, but they are re-building it at the moment so not exactly sure. Maybe contact the Mafra tourist board and they could tell you when it is finished.
SanReg

Postby xsurfedgex » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:59 pm

was down in Portugal over xmas/new years in my ford transit and had no hassle whatsoever parking up and staying overnight! Best trip yet. plenty of smiles and good mornings from locals as i fell out the back scoffing porridge. my van doesn't look like a camper tho...

Its defo worth trying to park near somewhere with bogs and a tap though. Made life that little bit more comfy.
Avoid toll roads through france and spain too as the A-roads are just as good and you see more. fuel is cheaper on these too.

I googled the words for no parking and stuck em on my dashboard and surprisingly hardly saw any signs, even in popular places like Barritz! if you're in a town, just try park descreetly and considerately.

I will say bring all your driving/vehicle docs tho, cos the police do like to pull you over (or was it just me?) to then look at your front passenger confused when they realise theres no steering wheel on that side.

Totally rate Portugal as a place to visit regardless of surf. Pretty cheap. warm. nice locals. decent skateparks. Try see some Fado if you can. Siked for you man!
xsurfedgex

Postby PortugalByVan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi cairbnamara.

take a look at https://portugalbyvan.wordpress.com/ maybe you can find what you're looking for. There are some places where you can park and others were you can't. It's true that many people park wherever they want but that's at their own risk, because there are some campervan and motorhome's public service areas.

Cheers.
http://portugalbyvan.com
PortugalByVan

Return to Surf Travel