Beginner/Improver on a budget - SE Asia/Australia

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Beginner/Improver on a budget - SE Asia/Australia

Postby clarebethan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:24 pm

Hi

I have had a few surfing lessons and am a very fit individual. I will be travelling in SE Asia (thinking Thailand and Indonesia) and then doing a year in Australia with a working holiday visa.
In Australia I plan to travel either up or down the east coast.

Basically at some point I want to spend some time going from beginner to intermediate surfing. Surf lessons cost a fortune if I want a longer course and I'll be on a backpackers budget.

I was thinking I could probably find some other travellers to practice with and buy a 2nd hand board or rent one.

I'm a bit lost though as to where would be the best locations to spend a long time - at least a month I guess - where I can workout on the beach and surf every day (and work a bit if I need to if it's Oz)

I'm also not sure what months I will be where yet but I am happy to plan my adventures around good surfing time.

Thank you in advance for any advice!!!

Clare :)
clarebethan

Re: Beginner/Improver on a budget - SE Asia/Australia

Postby dalejenga » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:49 pm

Hi! When are you planning on doing this? Im hoping for Thailand end of august for 2/3weeks, cheap flight to indo for a month or two then Working holiday visa in OZ for a year like you!
I think i biller'd the bong last week :)
dalejenga

Postby clarebethan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi!

Well I'm finishing up in London in May so May is the earliest I can go.

Still trying to work out the best way to do things - with monsoon season etc.
May head to Oz and try to work flat out for the summer then travel more when the weather is better.
I don't know if there would be anywhere ideal to learn to surf whilst it's not tourist season??

It's a difficult one as I know August/Sept/Oct would be much better to start - weather wise etc but unless I get a cruise job then I have to go somewhere in May!

C xx
clarebethan

Postby bakers » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:03 pm

check sri lanka out. mellow waves and it will probably be the cheapest place youll go on your trip. im heading out there in may then onwards to indo!!
bakers

Return to Surf Travel