Morocco Surf Camps/Spots (solo female)

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Morocco Surf Camps/Spots (solo female)

Postby chillysanfran » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:38 am

Thinking of heading to Morocco in March. Anyone have recommendations on places to stay or advice on surf camps for a woman traveling alone? Time frame three to four weeks. Optimally, would like to surf camp it for a bit and then spend some time on my own. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
chillysanfran

Re: Morocco Surf Camps/Spots (solo female)

Postby Steviesee » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:25 am

There were a few solo females staying with Surf Maroc in Taghazout when if was there over the festivities. Cool bunch who run Surf Maroc and the surf guides are a laugh too. Maybe do that to begin with till you figure out what you want to do?
Stevie
Steviesee

Postby Murtle's magic board » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:07 pm

I went there in March this year, didn't really enjoy it. It could of been that I didn't stay at the surf camps... Found it really polluted. If I was to go again I would stay at Surf Morroco and get them to take you to the best places spots... :-)
Murtle's magic board

Postby redhighway » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:33 pm

Don't even hesitate, stay with Surfmaroc, (and no I do not have a vested interest with them). Everytime I've been there the females outnumber the men as they do a lot of yoga holidays as well. If the pollution is an issue you can get on a bus with your board and travel up or down the coast for about 75p. But, I would say that if it's your first time just let surfmaroc do the thinking for you and go for a pakage.
redhighway

Postby Leven » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:44 pm

Which villa of Surf Maroc's did you guys stay in? Considering heading to Morocco for a couple of weeks, but really want to avoid the crowds, so may stay further north....
Leven

Postby SST » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:52 pm

I've stayed at 2 of surf maroc's places, both good places to be.

L'Auberge - cheaper, same standard rooms but a little less sociable & might be harder to meet people if you're not on the surf camp package...

Taghazout Villa - decent rooms, slightly more expensive, very sociable with the communal meals and areas to sit in. It's also the place where they usuallly run the evening yoga sessions.

I'd really recommend either for a solo trip, lots of fun to be had!
SST

Postby Cassie9 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:15 pm

You should definitely consider http://www.surfcamptaghazout.com/

I was traveling with a group but I became good friends with a girl who was saying at the camp and traveling alone. Everyone would hang out in the upstairs communal area or the terrace so it was really easy to meet people, plus you'd spend the day surfing together as well. I never felt unsafe staying there. The surf instructors are very helpful too.
Cassie9

Postby atc_bo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:10 am

Definitely agree with all the comments about Surf Maroc.

Couldn't recommend them highly enough. I stayed in L'Auberge Taghazout for a week in Jan. One of the best weeks I've had and it was the first time I've travelled alone. I totalled up absolutely everything and just came up short of £700 for a week there including 3 days lessons and a weeks hire with surf guiding to the spots, my flights, travel to Gatwick and spending money/evening meals included.

I also did a day trip to Marrakech which was a total mish but well worth it.

Like people said, use the local buses. Dirt cheap at 7 dirham and if you wanna go to Marrakech, use CTM/Supratours from Agadir and you'll pay 95 dirham and 100 dirham respectively - Not bad for £8 each way!

I'd agree with staying in the Taghazout Villa instead of L'Auberge though - Most of the guys on my surf lessons/guiding stayed there so felt a little bit out in the evenings and didnt just wanna invite myself over there but sure you could do.
atc_bo

Postby lexxel » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:28 pm

Sorry for hijacking but what is the best time to surf in Taghazout? I like some nice crowd and the waves shouldnt be tooooooo big!
View my travel blog/website on www.surfhostel.net
lexxel

Return to Surf Travel