Brazil Itinerary for this May

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Brazil Itinerary for this May

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:33 pm

Hopefully Skyareblue and Tubularswells will spot this :D

I'm in the process of sorting out an itinerary for me and the wife this coming May - a kind of ecotour/surfing hybrid trip of sorts, I guess.

I want to make the most of the time and not spend a ridiculous amount of time waiting for internal flights or on huge bus journeys, but also want to get about and see some variety - best of both worlds, really.

We'll probably fly into Salvador and travel down through Itacare and Regencia to get a few waves, harrass a few turtles and do some walking. We will then drop down to Rio and through to Sao Paulo for a few late nights.

Personally, I thought that would fill our 4 weeks nicely, but the wife also wants to visit Igaucu Falls... Is this a bit ambitious to do in our time or a must-see? How are the buses and trains?

We are not heading south to Florianopolis - I'd rather do that in a separate Chile/Brazil trip some time in the next few years.

The only surf - related quandry I have is whether to take a board or buy one over there... I know there's a stack of shops in SP and Rio, but I'm not so sure about Salvador. Any ideas?

Any other local knowledge will be gladly accepted chaps and chapesses :)

Ta
Last edited by Archy_is_God on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archy_is_God

Re: Brazil Itinerary for this May

Postby skysareblue » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:44 pm

First off, great choice of month! Great chance of some good waves and won't be stupidly hot anymore.

Flying into Salvador means you're gonna travel from very hot down to chilly in Sao Paulo, where you might even need a thin wetsuit!!

Salvador is in the state of Bahia which is bigger than France, so there's a lot to see. There are plenty of waves around Salvador. A few hours up to Praia do Forte is a turtle sanctuary called Tamar and there's an easy reef break. Easy to surf and find.

Moving south you'll want to stop in Itacaré. Loads of info on this place - but for me a bit further south and worth a look is Olivença - nice point break set up to the right. I surfed it by myself in holiday season so May should be dead quiet.

Inland there's chapada da diamantina which I have heard is very beautiful.

Next state down is Espirito Santo and you've nailed it already. Now in Rio you are in my manner!!! Take the missus to Buzios for a few days. It's a great little beach town with great bars and restaurants and there's a decent beachie at Geriba beach. There's also a secret to be checked out but I'm not putting it up here!

Next door to Buzios is Saquarema with 2 of Brazil's best waves. Praia da Vila and Itauna. Itauna is unmissable. The WCT was run there for years but go there midweek and there won't be more than 10 in the water. It's primarily a long fast left but there are some amazing rights to be had. It's head and shoulders the best wave in Rio state. If there's a good east swell running it's gonna be big and cold and amazing!!!

Obviously u can't miss spending a few days in the city. My local break is Arpoador - a complete zoo!

About the falls - they are big waterfalls!

Shapers in Slavador exist of course but there are far more options in Rio if u decided to invert your trip. There's a well known shaper in Salvador as soon as I remember his name I'll post it.

Hope that helps a bit
skysareblue

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:57 pm

Cheers SAB! That helps more than just a bit, thanks..

I may well invert the trip, as you say... But I may even consider not going all the way up to Salvador anyway - I did a quick trip summary on viamichelin.com and I think I underestimated the distances :lol:
Archy_is_God

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Any info on the far south of Bahia at all? It seems like a forgotten area as far as info around surfing is concerned. I'm primarily trying to find info on that stretch of coast south of Porto Seguro :scratch:
Archy_is_God

Postby skysareblue » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:44 pm

Archy_is_God wrote:Any info on the far south of Bahia at all? It seems like a forgotten area as far as info around surfing is concerned. I'm primarily trying to find info on that stretch of coast south of Porto Seguro :scratch:

Porto Seguro means safe port. As in no waves. Porto Seguro is pretty toursity and nearby Trancoso is rave capital - if that's your thing.

There seems to be a jump from Ilheus down to Espirito Santo with not much going on surfwise.

The São Paulo coast line will be cranking in May but it might not be lying on the beach weather. Also check out Ilha Grande a few hours south of Rio.
skysareblue

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:41 pm

Ah, that would explain it...

Think we may be swayed into travelling less and chilling more TBH... I underestimated the distances when loking at the map - Brazil really is huge!

I'm keen to stay in Saquarema for a week or so as it looks like a pretty low-key town with good waves a lot of the time. I checked a couple of videos of Itauna and I would be stoked to get a few waves there (as long as it stays below 8ft :lol: )
Archy_is_God

Postby skysareblue » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:53 am

Archy_is_God wrote:
I'm keen to stay in Saquarema for a week or so as it looks like a pretty low-key town with good waves a lot of the time. I checked a couple of videos of Itauna and I would be stoked to get a few waves there (as long as it stays below 8ft :lol: )

Saquarema is unmissable! Make sure you stay at Itauna Inn. Great, cheap place with views of the waves in front of the garden. Had some great days and waves there and my worst ever wipe out!
skysareblue

Postby planctom » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:29 pm

Hi, Guys,

I think Saquarema is The place to visit, beautiful and powerful waves, in my experience, the best surf spot on the Brazilian coast.
If you have time you can get good waves also on the coast of Sao Paulo, May is a very good time, places like Guaruja are only 1 hour from SP and the waves are good in this time of the year.
If you have time, you can drive to Maresias Beach, two and a half hpurs from SP, south swell + east winds = tubes,tubes, tubes...
Iguaçu falls? A big yes, I sugest you go by plane; no trains.
planctom

Postby evadee » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:17 am

Do you suquarema would work for a beginnerish surfer? I've got about 40 days of surfing under my belt so looking for some old man longboard waves in Brazil in late March.
evadee

Postby skysareblue » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:05 pm

evadee, saquarema is not a beginnners spot. big gnarly waves most of the time. U might get the odd day under head high but not many..
You'd be better off heading to Macumba beach in Rio.It's a great longboarding beach and when it gets big you can surf by the rock where it's still small and clean.
skysareblue

Return to Surf Travel