Nostalgia is a thing of the past............

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Nostalgia is a thing of the past............

Postby Philshoz » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:43 am

We get heaps of enquiries asking about where to go for that first surf trip but let's hear about the actual experiences.

Good or bad, perfection or disaster, the very first time you took off somewhere on a planned surf trip.....

I will start the ball rolling with my own personal disaster.

1979, just met my wife and for two or three years I had wanted to do the Oz thing. We saved hard during the summer in Abersoch and soon realised our pot wouldn't take two of us down-under. So we reviewed the options and decided on Tenerife. Bought the tickets, got myself a custom Haven 6' 10" from Bude and of we jolly well went. No place planned to stay when we arrived in Los Christianos so we trecked out to the 'rubbish dump' which some people may have heard of. Remember this was pre posh boardbags so my shiny red board was neatly packed in a huge box stuffed with straw, which nearly took off for Mount Tiede in the high wind. Set up camp and surfed my brains out for three weeks living off free pineapples and tuna stew, yum. That first experience of not wearing a fullsuit was memorable.

The plan had been to find work but that soon failed and beacause we only had a fixed ticket for two weeks we were stuck in limbo. After a month or so we decided to work our way back, didn't splash out on a flight as we thought we could get work somewhere like Biarittz. (I can hear you laughing even as I type). Got the ferry over to Cadiz, train up through Spain via Madrid, crossing the metro in rush hour with board and backpacks :shock: Overnight train to the French border, arriving very tired where I left a small bag with tickets, passport, travellers cheques ets on the train and only just managed to retrieve it as the train was pulling out thanks to a cleaner who spotted it and passed it through the window. :oops:

We walked through Biarittz and along Chambre D'amour to La Barre and set up the tent in the dunes near the ice skating ring, got some food and fell asleep exhausted...............only to be woken up two hours later by rats running all over the tent. Quickly packed everything away walked into Bayonne, got a train to Bordeaux, Nantes, Rennes, St Malo and then the boat over to Jersey. This whole journey had taken a week and we certainly would have been better off just flying back from the Canaries but it's an adventure isn't it? A couple of days trying unsucessfully to find work in Jersey ultimately made us surrender and we flew back to Manchester vowing to be better organised next time.

Since that first experience we have had many trips all over the world but we always look back on that with fondness and it always makes us laugh............................ :lol:
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz
 
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:17 am
Location: Brittany

Re: Nostalgia is a thing of the past............

Postby Black » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:44 pm

Had plenty of non-surf trips along those lines - the novelty of "adventure" wears a bit thin by the time you get into your late 20's. :lol:
PMing now....
Never growing old together...
User avatar
Black
 
Posts: 4554
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: Same place as God

Re: Nostalgia is a thing of the past............

Postby rodent » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:04 pm

Mine was a trip to the alps spent in a tent in the pissing rain, decided to bail and headed to Biarittz, hired a suit and board and went surfing

The rashes under my arms where so bad I couldn't lift my arms past my shoulders, gutted I headed back to paris to try to get a plane home, airline were fuckers and had to pay a fortune to get home early :oops:
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent
 
Posts: 813
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:21 pm

Re: Nostalgia is a thing of the past............

Postby Philshoz » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:24 am

This has been posted on Fbook on the North West Surf Club page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/231211363685475/

Scroll down to first edition of Newsurf 1968.

Fancy a custom for £27. 15 shillings :lol:
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz
 
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:17 am
Location: Brittany

Re: Nostalgia is a thing of the past............

Postby Chris F » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:59 am

rodent wrote:Mine was a trip to the alps spent in a tent in the pissing rain,


I've had a few "climbing" trips like that.
Chris F
 
Posts: 7040
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: Yabberdabberdeen

Re: Nostalgia is a thing of the past............

Postby JayP » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:19 pm

My first surf trip involved me strapping a gun (yes a gun, a T&C 7'6 gun - my first board!!! :lol: ) to the roof of my car and taking the mrs and kids for 5 days driving around Brittany in the rain.
The rain leaked through the straps alot.
It was flat alot.
Other surfers looked at me like I was a weirdo alot ( I had a gun. It was flat!)

I'm not nostalgic about it at all because it was shit..... Alot!
However I do laugh at what a twat I was!
JayP
 
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 11:06 am

Re: Nostalgia is a thing of the past............

Postby Leven » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Can I use my first ever "proper" trip abroad?!

Sri Lanka....got a taxi from the airport to Hikkaduwa, complete with 7ft board bag, and gear for a month out there. We stopped down a dirt track on the way so the driver could pick up a bike (which went in the back with me and the board bag). We stopped again, so he could take the bike home for his son. He lived in the absolute middle of nowhere, no lights, no real road etc. By this point I was starting to think that I might be dinner for his family that night....turns out, I had dinner with them (home cooked curry), slept on their floor, and he took me the rest of the way in the morning. He then tried NOT to charge me, as it was the next day! I paid him and gave a big tip, to say thank you for the hospitality.

It always makes me smile, that story. I can't help wondering how many taxi drivers at Heathrow would do something similar......
Leven
 
Posts: 1200
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Nostalgia is a thing of the past............

Postby Black » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:17 pm

Leven wrote:Can I use my first ever "proper" trip abroad?!

Sri Lanka....got a taxi from the airport to Hikkaduwa, complete with 7ft board bag, and gear for a month out there. We stopped down a dirt track on the way so the driver could pick up a bike (which went in the back with me and the board bag). We stopped again, so he could take the bike home for his son. He lived in the absolute middle of nowhere, no lights, no real road etc. By this point I was starting to think that I might be dinner for his family that night....turns out, I had dinner with them (home cooked curry), slept on their floor, and he took me the rest of the way in the morning. He then tried NOT to charge me, as it was the next day! I paid him and gave a big tip, to say thank you for the hospitality.

It always makes me smile, that story. I can't help wondering how many taxi drivers at Heathrow would do something similar......

Great heart warming story, well done for staying cool about the whole thing, half the secret of life is not panicking because things are off piste..

Edit: tbh if you're half pist its best anyway
Never growing old together...
User avatar
Black
 
Posts: 4554
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: Same place as God

Re: Nostalgia is a thing of the past............

Postby buttholesurfer » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:21 am

I went to Torquay, Melbourne for a month staying with my brother. If I said the surf was shite .... onshore, howling onshore and abit more onshore. The night before we were going to leave I packed up my board, yep you guessed it next day 4' and clean as a whistle...unpacked board , surfed, packed up board again.
Surfed a break in Torquay town called Fishos and my wife sat in the car, the weather was cold and shitty. After my surf I'm walking up to the car were I can see the wife with my towel around her, hoody up, reading a book. I open the door to "take the handbrake off and let me roll into the sea, this is like being at Wembury". Too say she wasn't keen on Australia is an understatement.

Oh and an earthquake on the last day in Sanur Bali was an eye opener...feels odd when your stood still and everything around you is moving left and right! :shock:
User avatar
buttholesurfer
 
Posts: 1775
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:47 pm
Location: Don't bro me if you don't know me!

Re: Nostalgia is a thing of the past............

Postby Philshoz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:08 am

Nice to see a few stories coming out of the woodwork, thought this post was dead.
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz
 
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:17 am
Location: Brittany

Re: Nostalgia is a thing of the past............

Postby danny1 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:43 pm

Black wrote:
Leven wrote:Can I use my first ever "proper" trip abroad?!

Sri Lanka....got a taxi from the airport to Hikkaduwa, complete with 7ft board bag, and gear for a month out there. We stopped down a dirt track on the way so the driver could pick up a bike (which went in the back with me and the board bag). We stopped again, so he could take the bike home for his son. He lived in the absolute middle of nowhere, no lights, no real road etc. By this point I was starting to think that I might be dinner for his family that night....turns out, I had dinner with them (home cooked curry), slept on their floor, and he took me the rest of the way in the morning. He then tried NOT to charge me, as it was the next day! I paid him and gave a big tip, to say thank you for the hospitality.

It always makes me smile, that story. I can't help wondering how many taxi drivers at Heathrow would do something similar......

Great heart warming story, well done for staying cool about the whole thing, half the secret of life is not panicking because things are off piste..

Edit: tbh if you're half pist its best anyway


Wow that is the quote of the month for me, love it!

Cool stories
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1
 
Posts: 8809
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:01 pm
Location: northeast

Re: Nostalgia is a thing of the past............

Postby Chris F » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:26 am

I've had some experiences like that, mostly not on surf trips though.
Chris F
 
Posts: 7040
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: Yabberdabberdeen

Re: Nostalgia is a thing of the past............

Postby joejames8 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:25 am

Passed my driving test and bought a 1972 beetle back in 2009, roof rack and surfboard to match i then decided with two of my friends to drive from York to scarborough on New Years eve to go surf howling onshore on my 6'2" shortboard the first time I'd ever tried surfing. On the way smoke plumed out the back of the car and the clutch could be smelt all the way but we got there eventually. Being 6 foot and about 10 stone my new large short 6 year old hole ridden wetsuit didn't fit well at all and after 45 minutes of paddling not surfing we returned to the car were I lost all sense of being, removed all my clothes , threw up then passed out. After my friends put me in the car and warmed me up we all laughed about it. Needless to say I got a new wetsuit and board in the spring. Never forget it ha ha !!
joejames8
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:09 pm

Re: Nostalgia is a thing of the past............

Postby roberdy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:36 am

Chris F wrote:I've had some experiences like that, mostly not on surf trips though.


Do share Mr F....
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
User avatar
roberdy
 
Posts: 4106
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:36 pm
Location: Bris-vegas

Re: Nostalgia is a thing of the past............

Postby Chris F » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:00 am

Well in 1989 I hitchhiked to Turkey and back? My stepbrother and I were fresh out of National Service, moved to UK, did loads of shitty jobs to earn some cash and then hit the road ken for some excitement! Got up to all sorts of crazy shit; hitched across to Berlin (back when there was an East and a West Germany), went through Checkpoint Charlie, got drunk on cheap beer in East Berlin, and had to be helped back to CC by some East Germans, got picked up by a French female lorry driver near Genoa who drove us overnight to Marseilles, took us back to her flat, made breakfast for us, then picked some leaves from the plant on her balcony, rolled some joints and we watched the sun come up over the Med. Sat at the sevices near Lyon for 8 hours without geting a lift and started losing it, etc etc

Fucking great times.
Chris F
 
Posts: 7040
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: Yabberdabberdeen

Re: Nostalgia is a thing of the past............

Postby Philshoz » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:33 am

Chris F wrote:Well in 1989 I hitchhiked to Turkey and back? My stepbrother and I were fresh out of National Service, moved to UK, did loads of shitty jobs to earn some cash and then hit the road ken for some excitement! Got up to all sorts of crazy shit; hitched across to Berlin (back when there was an East and a West Germany), went through Checkpoint Charlie, got drunk on cheap beer in East Berlin, and had to be helped back to CC by some East Germans, got picked up by a French female lorry driver near Genoa who drove us overnight to Marseilles, took us back to her flat, made breakfast for us, then picked some leaves from the plant on her balcony, rolled some joints and we watched the sun come up over the Med. Sat at the sevices near Lyon for 8 hours without geting a lift and started losing it, etc etc

Fucking great times.



Whoa Chris, there's a big gap between 'took us back to her flat' and 'made breakfast for us'...
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz
 
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:17 am
Location: Brittany

Re: Nostalgia is a thing of the past............

Postby Chris F » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:14 pm

Seriously, nothing happend. She picked us up at about 10 pm, got to Marseilles about 5 am. Shattered, and she wasn't up to much!
Chris F
 
Posts: 7040
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: Yabberdabberdeen

Re: Nostalgia is a thing of the past............

Postby Black » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:18 pm

This thread seems like a good place for this object I uncovered clearing out a hidden corner the other day. Had no idea it still existed, owned it since I was a teenager, now heading for the bin :lol: Its an excuse for a rug which I think was bought from a catalogue.


mat2.jpg
mat2.jpg (178.56 KiB) Viewed 318 times
Never growing old together...
User avatar
Black
 
Posts: 4554
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: Same place as God


Return to Surf Travel

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest