KLM 'Special Baggage' fees for surf/body/skimboards

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

KLM 'Special Baggage' fees for surf/body/skimboards

Postby atc_bo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:10 pm

Hi guys,

I haven't logged on to here for a looooong time now.

I've just booked some flights to Brazil for a skimboarding contest so needless to say I'm taking my board. Having got used to the hefty fees over the years with easyJet/Ryanair, as far as I can see, KLM dwarf this!!

I've been doing some research and it appears for a Zone 4 flight such as Brazil, I'm looking at 100 Euros per way. Can anyone let me know if this correct? If so it's definitely the most expensive luggage ticket I've bought so far, but unfortunately it's one of those things. I'm trying to find ways to avoid it, and if I declare it as a wakeboard, am I right in thinking I can include it in my normal one bag of 23kg so long as I fit everything else in my bag?

Anyone had similar thoughts or am I missing something obv?

Takes the piss when the flight is £600 and the bag will cost an extra 33% of my flight cost! I know over the last few years when I flew Virgin, it was free in addition to taking a normal bag.

What a moneyspinner eh!
atc_bo

Re: KLM 'Special Baggage' fees for surf/body/skimboards

Postby SST » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:52 pm

I flew with KLM to El Salvador last year and it was 100 euros each way, I had to book it through there call centre prior to going out which was a bit of hassle...The boards did make it all the way there and back undamaged though.

The call centre were very interested in dimensions and weights, but other than weight no-one batted an eyelid at my 7'10 bag.
SST

Postby atc_bo » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:08 pm

OK thanks for that. What weight did you say? I'm debating saying 23kg just in case I elect to use it as just my main bag.
atc_bo

Postby SST » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:11 pm

I told them 20Kg, I don't think it makes any difference unless you are over their maximum limit...
SST

Postby Leven » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:29 pm

That's not that expensive....pretty similar to most larger airlines these days!
Leven

Postby atc_bo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:30 pm

SST wrote:I told them 20Kg, I don't think it makes any difference unless you are over their maximum limit...

Thanks, I might try to blag the wakeboard option as this appears to be free. Though I have emailed to clarify this

Leven wrote:That's not that expensive....pretty similar to most larger airlines these days!

Dunno if you're on about large long haul airlines or large budget airlines or both! Ryanair charge £100 return and easyJet £50, so in comparison to them, and the fact Virgin allow a board bag free of charge, KLM/Air France are as expensive as it gets! I believe TAP are less. Not sure about BA.
atc_bo

Postby Leven » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:03 am

KLM, AA, Continental, Air Canada,BA etc all charge £100 minimum. If you fly with a premium airline, you'll pay premium prices. Easy Jet etc only do short haul, so would be cheaper.
Leven

Postby thechimp » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:43 pm

100 quid a trip!! looks like flying west then for Uk guys is getting outta hand, have flown long haul east 4 times in last 18months,
SIA, Malaysia and Cathay Pacific all boards free (within my 23kg allowance) and all midlengths and longboards. Maybe worth trying round the world tickets then for South america.
thechimp

Postby atc_bo » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:09 am

It's the way it's going I guess. With the taxes that the government have been levying on flying recently, it's become harder for airlines to profit whilst keeping the fares down. It seems an obvious way of making money by charging those with bags cos it means they can still afford to advertise low prices.

I'm not sure if this will ever change!
atc_bo

Return to Surf Travel