Another Sri Lanka Question

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Another Sri Lanka Question

Postby Paularoid » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:36 pm

Hi
I was wondering if anyone has surfed the east coast of Sri Lanka this time of year, if so was it any good or was it still onshore also what the weather would be like.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Paularoid

Re: Another Sri Lanka Question

Postby Philchapman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:08 pm

I've surfed it mid March - mid April before (A-bay). Surf can be quite small, but there were only a few days when it wasn't worth going out. (I'll go out in pretty small surf tho., like waist high.... still fun on a point break). Off-shore first thing in the morning, and again at dusk. Some days you'd get a session during the day, but the wind was normally chopping things up too much. A few thunder storms, but mostly hot and sunny. One day was head and a half on the sets. Keep an eye on this...... for surf and weather
http://magicseaweed.com/Arugam-Bay-Surf-Report/562/
Philchapman

Postby Paularoid » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:37 pm

Thank you for taking the time to answer, could I ask you a few more questions, were the guest houses open and had it started getting busy. Also will my girlfriend get hassled if she is on the beach by herself when I am surfing.
Small point break waves sound perfect to me as I ride a log. Been to the west coast before and had a great time I'm just struggling to get some non hearsay info about this time of year on the east coast so its great to get some help from someone who as actually been this time of year.

Thanks again for your help
Paularoid

Postby Philchapman » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:19 am

You'll have a blast there on a log. Wish I'd had one when I was there, I'd have surfed every day.
Guest houses are open year round. I'd say "not too busy". It is on the non-surf travellers map too though, so there will be people about.
There's a cafe right on the point, and your Girlfriend can hang there or just out front from there with minimal hassle. My partner doesn't surf, and that's what she did. She may get some hassle away from there if she's on her own, but I'd say overall the people were very respectful. Not as bad as the west coast, or India.
Philchapman

Postby Paularoid » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:13 am

Cheers for your help, I never thought it would be so difficult to go on holiday.
We had planned to go to Central America until I went to book the flights and found out the prices for taking a board.
There are certainly bigger problems in the world though.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.
Paularoid

Postby Paularoid » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:12 pm

After all your helpful answers I have just booked a flight to Nicaragua, leaving on Thursday.
Bad news is I can't afford to take a board, good news is there seems to be a couple of places with half decent hire boards and I'm just going to look at it as a way to try different boards. That and see some rainforests.

Thanks again for your help, don't know why I'm telling you this it just seems polite. I'm new to this forum lark.

Paul
Paularoid

Postby Philchapman » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:24 pm

Whaaaat? Nicaragua?! I spend all that time answering your Q's and you go and book Nicaragua? :wink:
Only joking.... have a great trip. You were obviously brought up properly!
Thanks for your thanks.
Phil.
Philchapman

Return to Surf Travel