Nicaragua (Beach access)

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Nicaragua (Beach access)

Postby John_M » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:32 pm

Thinking of doing a trip this July to Nicaragua, looks like a great set up there especially in the SW corner of the country (San Juan Del Sur area). Im just hoping for some advice/recommendations about access to most of the breaks as I hear its not always that easy to get to them.

Any advice/tips or experiences of trips there really welcome.

Cheers

John
John_M

Re: Nicaragua (Beach access)

Postby Leven » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:52 pm

Loads of info on Nicaragua/San Juan del Shithole on wanna surf and all those sites. In the rainy season, you could well need a 4x4 to get to some of them. At times roads can actually pretty much wash away. It'll be full of Americans too. Personally, I couldn't stand the place! Don't be fooled by San Juan either, there's no actual wave in the village, you'll need a boat/car to get a surf.

Spent 2 nights in San Juan, and it's just a party town full of coke heads, couldn't get out quick enough. Also went to a few other places up the coast for a couple of weeks, including Santana and some others, and didn't really enjoy any of them. A lot of the locals had a really bad attitude in the water too.

I'd never go back to Nica, even if you paid me! All depends what you're looking for though. I prefer the quieter Central American countries with empty waves, but I also know a few people who love the place, each to their own.
Leven

Postby HURLED » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:09 pm

Suprised to hear that Leven.
Where would you head to Central America to avoid the crowds :wink:
HURLED

Postby John_M » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:13 pm

Anyone know what it is like to buy boards there, is there a good selection? Airline fees ridiculous! :roll:
John_M

Postby Leven » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:25 pm

Bit of a mixture, there'll be places in San Juan to buy boards, and a few local shapers to make 'em too. Had a decent repair done out there actually. Just don't expect a UK selection/quality. There's a lot of Americans out there, so you can pick something up.

HURLED wrote:Suprised to hear that Leven.
Where would you head to Central America to avoid the crowds :wink:

My lips are sealed! I've been through most of it, and there's still places in most of the countries you can get a wave to yourself if you don't mind roughing it, a bit of danger, some sketchy entry's and exits from the water! Favourite wave though is La Punta (Punta Roca) in El Salvador....best wave I've ever surfed.
Leven

Postby John_M » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:28 pm

Thanks for the info Leven. Can you remember what sort of selection the boards were in San Juan? I would be looking for a decent enough short board
John_M

Postby Leven » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:59 pm

There'll be some shortboards, just don't expect western standards. There's a lot of Americans around too, so could maybe get one off them. You should be ok, as long as you don't mind a few dings/repairs etc.
Leven

Postby unreachablerich » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:25 pm

PM'd you
unreachablerich

Return to Surf Travel