Van trip June - Aug France, Northern Spain, Portugal

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Van trip June - Aug France, Northern Spain, Portugal

Postby beachcomber » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:59 pm

Hi guys,
I'm finishing up work soon and heading off in my van with my dog for a few months to get some sun and waves. My current loose plan is to go down the coast stopping off at a few breaks in south west France and then into Northern Spain. Just basically driving around, mix of wild camping and sites and seeing what I find :o
I'll just use the same rubber buckets I normally use to store the wetsuits in, wash them in freshwater streams every so often and use a rope between trees to dry them out between surfs. Boards will go under the bed. I have a small petrol stove and small bbq for outside cooking and i'm fitting an duel burner alcohol stove in the worktop for cooking inside. I was going to leave my dog on the beach under an umbrella with a bowl of water while i'm surfing as the van will get too hot I think unless I can find trees to park under.
Anyone got any tips for living with a dog and surfing in a (nearly completed) camper van for longer trips?
beachcomber

Re: Van trip June - Aug France, Northern Spain, Portugal

Postby briggfoot » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:56 pm

Havn't got any advice but just replying to say wow, I'm really jealous, and hope you have a super time!

Sounds brilliant. :P
briggfoot

Postby xsurfedgex » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:57 am

sounds good!
theres another thread about living in your van in the 'general' section of this forum. loadsa good ideas.

as for bringing a dog...
I don't have one, but I do think they're great beings. Your plan sounds awesome. Depending on how clever/obidient/individual your pal is, you should be fine. However I noticed alot of beaches in France and Spain had signs up saying 'no dogs' so beware where you choose to surf. I'm guessing you'll be there in the holiday season so the swarms of people might cause problems. Most of the pooches I saw in France were posh inbred predigres (probably for showing off) and not the lovable mutt types we have over here. The laws on leashes, picking up shit etc looked harsher in the towns and built up areas so i dunno how well behaved your pal is, but he might be in for a bit of a culture shock. Without sounding crass, the whole general 'animal welfare' attitude to mans best friend is also alot different than that of the UK, so i'd make sure you have all his paperwork and medical history etc etc up to date. If he's happy sat under a brolly whilst you surf then you're laughing.
In portugal the dogs seemed more relaxed and whiley. He might find a date!
Plenty of countryside en route for him to tear around in too!
xsurfedgex

Postby xsurfedgex » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:00 am

Heres that other thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38024
xsurfedgex

Postby surfrat » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:41 pm

insulate your van...will help keep it cool for dog inside. they don't get as hot as cars. also get silver screens for windows and an air vent.
leave dog in van when surfing...maximum security for your kit.
i also tied mine on a long leash to the van so he could lick attackers and passersby or just get tangled up....
i'd say north spain will be a more doggy friendly place than SW France for beach walks etc
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby Liamlof » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:18 pm

Hello

I highly recommend going to Asturias, I lived there until recently. i have no suggestions about dogs.

For someone wanting to do "wild camping" (as much as one can with a van!), I highly suggest playa de xago,it works on the same conditions as nearby salinas (better at high tide) and picks up any swell and has a quite hollow right breaking in towards the cliff (see attached pic). Nice easy paddle out along the cliff and even though it is a bit crowded, the atmosphere is very friendly and everyone seems to get plenty of waves. It think this is cos the ride is quite long and the takeoff spot wobbles around. There is a big unpaved car park there and no town or village nearby for miscreants, minimal chance of offical interferance for camping. Also no field or livestock to tempt your dog! There is a pub about 400m from the car park.

Nearby Gijon has a heavy right in the city, but only suitable for those comfortable surfing very heavy waves in very crowded surrounding, i.e. not me. Free, but not overnight parking along the promenade at the east end of the bay.

In regard to Rodilles, my local (expert ninja surfer) mate never even bothered cos the vibe is so bad there. Go to xago and tell me how you like it!
Liamlof

Postby Liamlof » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:44 pm

Actually, here is that pic of playa xago, the photo doesn't really capture the wave's power, but you can see the set up.
xago.jpg
xago
xago.jpg (220.24 KiB) Viewed 390 times
Liamlof

Postby beachcomber » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:27 pm

Cheers mate, I'll check it out.
beachcomber

Return to Surf Travel