Flying to Costa Rica with United Airlines...???

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Flying to Costa Rica with United Airlines...???

Postby still learning » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:05 pm

Has anyone paid for board travel to Costa Rica from the Uk ??? tried to confirm but struggling whether I can pay for a bag and take two boards or is it one board per charge??? it works out at £262 return for a board bag.........still waiting on reply from surf shops in Playa Grande for a price on two week board hire, to see if I am better off hiring. Still progressing with my surfing and have just purchased another new board so was hoping to take that to get it dialled in the two weeks I am there......
still learning

Re: Flying to Costa Rica with United Airlines...???

Postby majordom » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:23 am

worldwide board charges by airline

http://www.surferliving.com/airline-boardbag-charges

united policy

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content ... ports.aspx

United Airlines will accept surfboards or wakeboards as checked baggage as long as they are packed in an appropriate surfboard or wakeboard bag that does not weigh more than 99.9 pounds. The service charge for a surfboard or wakeboard bag is $100 (each way) for travel between the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and $200 (each way) for all other travel.

The skeg/fin must be removed or well padded. The entire board must be encased in a suitable container to avoid scratching. United Airlines shall not be liable for damage to a surfboard. Excess Valuation may not be purchased for a surfboard/wakeboard.

Surfboards, wakeboards and surfboard bags weighing more than 99.9 pounds (45.3 kg) will not be accepted as checked baggage.

Note: On United Airlines flights, surfboards, wakeboards or surfboard bags greater than 115 inches (292 cm) in length will not be accepted as checked baggage. On United Express flights, surfboards, wakeboards or surfboard bags greater than 80 inches (203 cm) in length will not be accepted as checked baggage.

Surfboards and wakeboards will be transported subject to load capacities of the aircraft on any itinerary involving a United Express flight.

Surfboards and wakeboards will not be accepted during an excess baggage embargo when no excess baggage is allowed. Exception: Surfboards will be accepted to Costa Rica during an embargo period.

[BTW i undertsand that 2 boards in one bag is charged as one if less than 99.9 lbs]
majordom

Postby JayP » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:01 pm

Hire when there. Not been to playa grande but everywhere I went around guanacaste had hire boards for 10$ a day and loads of choice. For 2 weeks you should be able to get em down to 7 or so a day. I did. Also a great opportunity to try out different boards.
JayP

Postby still learning » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:23 am

majordom - cheers for that, I had read all the info on their website but was still unsure about it being one bag as long as the weight is within their limit.......makes the cost a little bit harder to bare if it's two boards.

Jayp - thanks for the reassurance, had been looking on the surfshop websites in Playa Grande and they did seem pretty well stocked......still haven't had my replies mind, $10 a day makes far more economic sense and suppose with different conditions can probably just go and swap boards.
still learning

Return to Surf Travel