N Spain or SW France in July

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

N Spain or SW France in July

Postby SDB » Wed May 01, 2013 12:15 pm

Hi there everyone!

I'm looking to do a van trip with my wife and 1 year old boy this summer and am in 2 minds as to where to go, SW France (Hourtin/Carcans area) or to get the ferry down to Santander and explore N Spain. There are pros and cons as to both (I speak French, not Spanish; it's maybe cheaper to get to France than Spain tho (we live in N Devon and would prob leave Plymouth), it may be busier in France than Spain with tourists (?), there may be better campsites with shade in Spain - I'm thinking of the little boy, and my missus is keen to visit markets, etc and not just sit on the beach all day), but obviously i'm keen to get waves....

I know it's not the best time to go but as a teacher I can't do September and def don't want to be there in August. So can anyone give me some thoughts on good camping spots (pref close to the beach) which you'd recommend in either country...

I am also aware of needing to get on and book camping pitches asap too.

Thanks very much
SDB
SDB

Re: N Spain or SW France in July

Postby griggo » Sat May 04, 2013 5:48 pm

What a coincidence, spoke to a guy at work about this yesterday! He's a teacher too! Seb, I've heard the Santander crossing is a mission, but probably so is driving 1500 mile round trip with a 1 year old!
griggo

Postby Philshoz » Sat May 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Have you considered Brittany?
Not too far, loads of spots, less crowded than down south.
Not the weather though......
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby Leven » Sat May 04, 2013 9:48 pm

There's so much info on this on the web it's untrue. You can drive the length of France in a day, especially if you and the Mrs share the drive. N. Spain is another 1/2 day. Personally, I'd google "Camp sites Northern Spain", or something similar.

:roll:
Leven

Postby Greenroomsurfing » Sun May 05, 2013 5:44 am

Weather should be alright in brittany in July, I was there last June and although forecast was shite it was in the 20's every day and the water was warm enough to ditch the wetsuit. Loads of campsites all over the place and lots of culture (if required). Also did sw France last sept and Ferry/long drive with an 11 month baby was alright, loads of places to stop on way down - we did it in two days but easily doable in one. France really was awesome with a toddler though, we were outside all day everyday and he loved it.

Haven't done Spain but may be better ref crowds, either way enjoy!
Greenroomsurfing

Postby mountain man » Sun May 05, 2013 7:26 am

Greenroomsurfing wrote:Weather should be alright in brittany in July, I was there last June and although forecast was shite it was in the 20's every day and the water was warm enough to ditch the wetsuit. Loads of campsites all over the place and lots of culture (if required). Also did sw France last sept and Ferry/long drive with an 11 month baby was alright, loads of places to stop on way down - we did it in two days but easily doable in one. France really was awesome with a toddler though, we were outside all day everyday and he loved it.

Haven't done Spain but may be better ref crowds, either way enjoy!

I'd heard the water in Brittany was cold but obviously not if you were sans wetsuit. Whereabouts did you surf?
mountain man

Postby Greenroomsurfing » Sun May 05, 2013 8:09 am

La Torche mostly, was boardies and wettie top, although when the sun went in it was cold. Water temp was ok, I guess it must have been pushing 18 (anything over 10 feels tropical to me anyway!)
Greenroomsurfing

Postby mountain man » Sun May 05, 2013 8:11 am

Nice one, how was the surf and crowds there as am thinking of trip there so any info gratefully received.
mountain man

Postby Philshoz » Sun May 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Greenroomsurfing wrote:La Torche mostly, was boardies and wettie top, although when the sun went in it was cold. Water temp was ok, I guess it must have been pushing 18 (anything over 10 feels tropical to me anyway!)

:shock:
Philshoz

Postby Biarritz Taxi » Sun May 05, 2013 1:51 pm

The ferries to northern Spain from the UK are long but you have to factor in not spending money on fuel and tolls on the drive down the west coast of France.

Another good thing about the long ferries is that they are great fun - appalling cabaret shows and sitting on the deck drinking beer.

I have a spreadsheet of lots of campsites in Pays Basque and Landes that you are welcome to have. Send me a PM if you want a copy.
Biarritz Airport Transfers
http://biarritzairporttransfers.com/
Biarritz Taxi

Postby Biarritz Taxi » Sun May 05, 2013 1:58 pm

And I also meant to add this link showing sea temperatures: http://www.meteociel.fr/accueil/sst.php
It will also show you historic data so you can see what it was like last year. The warmest part is in the south-east corner.
Biarritz Taxi

Postby Philshoz » Sun May 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Biarritz Taxi wrote:And I also meant to add this link showing sea temperatures: http://www.meteociel.fr/accueil/sst.php
It will also show you historic data so you can see what it was like last year. The warmest part is in the south-east corner.

Good link BT. Interesting to see the historical data.

Also like the 'lightning strikes' tab............. :shock:
Philshoz

Postby Biarritz Taxi » Sun May 05, 2013 2:20 pm

Also like the 'lightning strikes' tab

I haven't clicked on that before, it is interesting. I especially like the animations.
Biarritz Taxi

Postby Greenroomsurfing » Mon May 06, 2013 9:58 am

mountain man wrote:Nice one, how was the surf and crowds there as am thinking of trip there so any info gratefully received.

Surf was ok but summer slopish, crowds minimal. If going in the summer I'd head further south, the beaches on the Cote Sauvage (south of la rochelle) are really nice and similar to Les Landes coastline, but closer to the ferries - maybe a 4-5 hour drive or so from le havre. I haven't camped there but saw plenty of sites when driving around.
Greenroomsurfing

Postby SDB » Tue May 07, 2013 8:17 am

Thanks everyone for all of your advice, it's much appreciated! Gonna do France and save Spain for when the nipper's a bit older. Have a good one this summer wherever you go!

SDB
SDB

Return to Surf Travel