Bit of surf in July?

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Bit of surf in July?

Postby Dantastic » Wed May 08, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi All,

Sadly the mrs cannot get the time off we were looking for and now we have to take our weeks holiday in July, probably the first week.

Can anybody reccomend anywhere in Europe thats pretty cheap where there might be a chance of a wave. Or am i kidding myself and should I just concentrate on snorkelling and getting hammered?

Cheers

Dan
Dantastic

Re: Bit of surf in July?

Postby Philshoz » Wed May 08, 2013 2:26 pm

Check the charts Dan nearer the time and Lastminute.com it......

Don't come here, it's crap....
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby mountain man » Wed May 08, 2013 2:39 pm

Well probably best bet but not guaranteed is SW France, be unlucky not to get some waves then and lovely weather etc. Could be busy though so aim for dawnies for best waves and less people.
mountain man

Postby Dantastic » Wed May 08, 2013 4:28 pm

Cheers guys. Been looking at biarritz this arvo. Any thoughts on that as a location?
Dantastic

Postby xsurfedgex » Thu May 09, 2013 8:04 am

Barritz is a nice town to potter about in if theres no surf. Feels kind of 'grand' and sophisticated in a tasteful way. The beaches are pretty well looked after with good aimenites (showers, bogs etc..). Defo a surf friendly town. Plenty of breaks from what I gather. Hire shops etc... The locals, in and out the water, seemed nice too.

Dunno how expensive it is for hotels etc cos i kipped in my van, but theres plenty. Not too far from the hills and mountains of the basque country either if you fancy a day out in the fresh air. I'd go again.
xsurfedgex

Postby Biarritz Taxi » Thu May 09, 2013 10:29 am

Biarritz gets my vote every time and there are two campsites in town. July (especially around the 14th) is the busiest time of the year so book soon if you want budget accommodation. Campsites are; BIarritz Camping and Camping de Parme. Other budget accommodation options in Biarritz are:
La Colline Bleu - www.biarritzcollinebleue.com
Victoria Surf - www.victoriasurf.com
Le Grand Large - www.legrandlarge-biarritz.com
You can also book places to stay through the Biarritz tourism website:
www.biarritz.fr/

In BIdart, just south of Biarritz there are lots and lots of campsites. The same goes for Acotz to the north of Saint Jean de Luz. And there is a costal path in between Bidart and Hendaye which makes for a nice walk. A bit more about Saint Jean de Luz here: http://biarritzairporttransfers.com/Bia ... e-Luz.html
Biarritz Airport Transfers
http://biarritzairporttransfers.com/
Biarritz Taxi

Postby Leedsol » Thu May 09, 2013 11:43 am

Biarritz will be good. Non-surfing partners always love it.

I've stayed at Palym Hotel rue de vieux port a few times and Carlina Lodge overlooking Cote des Basques a few times too. Just looked at their websites and Carlina seems booked out for July and the Palym prices seem to have rocketed. Was about 30e a night when I last went in 2005.

Theres a couple of Etap hotels near the airport that will be nice and cheap, stayed there too, only 5 mins to town.

If its flat then there's good hill walking, nice town and Bayonne is nice. If you have a car then Pamplona is just an hour or so drive and that is one big party. My tip for Pamplona is to drive to just outside the old city, park there and walk into the city (about 20mins) - one of the biggest all night parties (subject to your views on the bull run) in Europe. Kip in your car when the party ends at about 9am and write off the day. First time we went there me and the mates just hiked from the Santander ferry, booked our rucksacks in old town store they set up and kipped in the park in the day, the car tip was done in later years.

San Sebastian is a great city too just 40-50 mins from Biarritz. Read recently its the most expensive city in Spain for accomodation. Fairly decent surfing there when its on.
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

Postby Biarritz Taxi » Thu May 09, 2013 12:00 pm

San Fermin festival (known as Running of the Bulls) is on every year from the 6th to the 14th of July. As said above it is VERY busy during this time. Most accommodation will already be booked up so you might have to sleep in your car. There is a map of the available parking areas and closed-off old town here: http://www.biarritzairporttransfers.com ... plona.html
Biarritz Airport Transfers
http://biarritzairporttransfers.com/
Biarritz Taxi

Postby Dantastic » Thu May 09, 2013 1:11 pm

Guys this is info gold. Ive always wanted to do the bull run as well!

Wheres the best place to get a ferry to, Bilbao? Im stuck between taking the sprinter camper van/ferry or fly to Biarritz and be a sad foot walker with no board?
Dantastic

Postby Leedsol » Thu May 09, 2013 2:00 pm

if its just a week I would fly. Ferry cost likely 700 plus 2x24 hour crossings or a long drive from Brittany plus fuel. I would hire a car (autoeurope.co.uk) - likely 150, just checked for you. So with car, flights and cheap hotel you'll be under ecen taking your board. Shedload of hire spots to if you're a beginner etc and don't mind not taking your own board etc (that'll save you £70).

Enough places around Biarritz to get hammered too if its flat
Leedsol

Postby xsurfedgex » Thu May 09, 2013 2:03 pm

depends on how much dosh you have.
cheapskate like me would take the cheap ferry from newhaven to dieppe then drive on the toll free roads to just south of Bordeaux in a day, then mosey down the coast. Doesn't take long and may even cost less in fuel than the bilboa ferry...

if you're gonna ferry it to bilboa, why not just do all of northern spain???

but from what I hear its relatively cheap to fly to Barritiz, and you can defo hire stuff there (or wear your wetsuit on the plane to save baggage space) I doubt you'll need boots/gloves that time of year. I didn't in Late december...

have a good time
xsurfedgex

Postby Dantastic » Thu May 16, 2013 1:11 pm

Thanks for all the advice. Ive ended up booking Lanzarote as its about £400 cheaper. Really disappointed but lets see what next year brings. Love the sound of Biarritz and a bit of bull running.

Cheers.
Dantastic

Postby Leedsol » Thu May 16, 2013 8:18 pm

Dantastic wrote:Thanks for all the advice. Ive ended up booking Lanzarote as its about £400 cheaper. Really disappointed but lets see what next year brings. Love the sound of Biarritz and a bit of bull running.

Cheers.

You might get something in July. Not optimum season by any stretch but Famara's a big exposed beach. Only been there in winter a few times. Good board hire in Famara village though I'd email in advance if you can't be arsed taking a board put. Take a 3:2 though
Leedsol

Postby Dantastic » Thu May 16, 2013 10:26 pm

Cool. Im not taking a board in case its flat. Having my board in the apartment will piss me off to much! Ill drop them a line.

You think I'll need a suit? Was really hoping to get away with just a rashie and shorts.
Dantastic

Return to Surf Travel