Taking It To The Next Step

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Taking It To The Next Step

Postby humpdawg » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:07 am

Hi
I'm currently surfing a 7'6'' minimal and have been for the last couple of years since I started surfing. I can catch most waves, ride along the face and perform basic turns. However I feel this board is starting to hold me back and I want to progress to a shorter board. I'd like to start surfing some of the mellower reefs breaks in Ireland.
Unfortunately I live on the East coast so between work and other things I only get to go out West, where the surf is every month or two, but stay for a few days to a week when I do. I usually go to Lahinch, Inishcrone or some parts of Kerry.
I'm 5'6'' and about 10 stone. I'm fairly fit from playing football, mountain biking, running and yoga.
My question is what board should I progress to? I've been looking at a 6'8'' Big Boy Flyer.
Or would something else be more suitable.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
humpdawg

Re: Taking It To The Next Step

Postby Philchapman » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:19 pm

Try one and see. Chat to people in the line-up on similar boards and see if they'll let you have a go for a few waves?
Philchapman

Re: Taking It To The Next Step

Postby Rickyroughneck » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:04 pm

I would avoid the "big boy" shortboards in general. For normal sized people they fill a size range which is a bit pointless; paddles like a shortboard but too big to duck dive.

In my opinion the best way to progress would be to get some kind of egg shape: wide and with a lowish rocker. Try to get one that isn't too thick (around 2 1/4") so you can learn to duckdive on it.
Rickyroughneck

Return to Learn to Surf