Beginner out-running waves and losing power

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Beginner out-running waves and losing power

Postby JonSaintAgnes » Thu May 26, 2016 1:59 pm

I've been surfing when I can for about a year now and can catch waves and pop-up ok-ish most of the time.

The problem I am having is that as soon as I stand I either nose dive or seem to out run the wave, then by the time it catches me up I'm aware its lost power. My friend who started at the same time as me is slower to her feet, but never seems to have the problems I have. She is over 2 stone lighter though (i'm 12 stone) which I guess makes a difference.

This was very evident last weekend at Saunton on 3 foot, lovely waves. Other people around me were having beautiful long runs and I wasn't. Any tips greatly appreciated.
JonSaintAgnes

Re: Beginner out-running waves and losing power

Postby Black » Thu May 26, 2016 8:27 pm

If you angle the board either slightly left or right on take-off it should help resolve both issues.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Chris F » Fri May 27, 2016 7:50 am

Nose dive is easy fix, you might be standing too far forward. Outrunning wave might mean you are getting to your feet too slowly; wave is breaking and throwing board forward, you are then getting to feet once board is slowing down after initial surge, then getting left behind. It's all about timing, but without seeing what you are actually doing it;s hard to say what you are doing wrong.

And angling takeoff helps..
Chris F

Postby Leven » Sat May 28, 2016 6:01 pm

Paddle harder to generate more momentum, angle your take off, make sure you start and take off at the steepest part of the wave, and watch a couple of pro movies. You'll see how they're never still just riding the wave, they're constantly working the board heel to toe to generate speed.
Leven

Postby Gershon » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:55 pm

Some extra strong paddle stroke might help you out with the speed even on a steeper wave. You should look in the direction where you really want to go.
Without seeing your pop up it is really hard to give advice. When I learned surfing I had a recurrent mistake such as when the wave lifted me up from the back I always reached with both arms towards the nose of the board. This pos giving you zero leverage to push yourself up properly. That is what surfers call the "superman" position. It may cause the nosedive situation.
Gershon

Postby MV2local » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:53 pm

You could well be angling your board too perpendicular to the wave during take off then bottom turning too far in front of the wave. Try paddling at an angle to the wave instead of straight towards the beach.
MV2local

Postby reserves » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:16 pm

Watch Video number 1 and 5 here, should really help you with both issues http://surfsimply.com/surf-simply-tutorials/

Enjoy :)
reserves

Postby OctopusPrime » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:52 pm

reserves wrote:Watch Video number 1 and 5 here, should really help you with both issues http://surfsimply.com/surf-simply-tutorials/

Enjoy :)

Wow thanks! That was super helpful!
Just rocking it in Ucluelet,BC: https://steemit.com/@ucluelet
OctopusPrime

Return to Learn to Surf