Buying first board - help please!

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Buying first board - help please!

Postby sc17 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:32 pm

I've been surfing about 6 weeks whenever there are waves (sometimes that's once a week, sometimes 3 times). The waves are usually about 2-3.5' now, rarely bigger.

So far I've been riding an 8' softboard (I'd guess around 70 L) that I rent but I want to buy a board because, a) it's a waste of money to keep renting when I know I'm gonna surf, and b) the softy gives me an awful rash on my thighs and chest (despite wearing a rashguard).

I definitely lean more towards a longboard style than a performance style.

***My question is, is a 7.4' x 22 x 2 3/4, 44 L PU board going to be too much of a struggle? I'm 30, reasonably fit, 6'1", 70 kg.***

It's a coin toss as to whether I have no problem popping up and riding green waves. Some days are good, some days are less-so! When they're good, I can turn and properly ride if I get my take-off angle right.

I'd rather not buy a softy cos I don't have too much money and the price difference between the softy and this PU board isn't so significant, and also having to carry it to and from the sea each time (about a 20 min walk). But I'm worried that the volume/length of this board is too small and that I'll struggle to ride, and that will take the fun away.

Thanks!!!
sc17

Re: Buying first board - help please!

Postby jpipe » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:33 pm

Hi Sc,

Yes, I surf for 15 years and do surf with a softboard. Well, I go to catch many waves in like 50 minutes surf session 2- 3 x week.And then go to work stoked.

About the softboard design, just skip the box rails and too wide, because you wont turn. Also buy with handle, but not on the middle of softboard..
I would say 8'2" or 7'5".
In England is one,maybe 2 softboard brand,as far as I know, with soft rails and you surf like a fiberglass board. In America there are lots of choice but here I guess you can find in Newquay Cornish surf school.

Hope could help. Good waves !
jpipe

Return to Learn to Surf