Winter gear and setup and all things COLD!!!

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Winter gear and setup and all things COLD!!!

Postby redeyedrichard » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:03 pm

Hey all,

So my brother and I have always been fair-weather surfers due to our parents booking holidays at that time of year. Recently we commissioned our own boards to be made to our specific stats and we have vowed to get to the coast whenever we can and whenever the waves are good. We are older now and have a car and more independence. :twisted:

As it is heading into winter we have got ourselves some top quality winter wetsuits (mine is RipCurl, my bro's is Body Glove), however can you give advice on gloves, hoods and boots. More importantly how you go about changing out of your wetsuits post surf in order to maintain a good body temperature and not get a chill before jumping into the car. As you can appreciate if it is windy and freezing then you don't really want to be stood there for ages semi-naked and soaked. How do you do it on a beach that has no nearby facilities???

Thanks.

Richard.
redeyedrichard

Re: Winter gear and setup and all things COLD!!!

Postby Chris F » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:14 pm

Where will you be surfing
Chris F

Postby skimmer2 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:31 am

I'm guessing that you are down south? If so a good 5mm suit will do you. I would recommend 5mm split toe boots, 3mm gloves and a good hood. Some folk prefer mitts but I canny be arsed with those things - feel like I have no feel ..a personal thing maybe.

On the hood - can recommend the Xcel hood - good design and warm. On gloves - I've been using O'neill SLX gloves (think that's what they are) and they work fine and have good grip. Make sure you put you wetsuit OVER the gloves and boots :-)

On getting changed - if you are like me and don't have a van and need to get changed in the baltic conditions then not much you can do there......just get some warm fleece over your top and a hat when you are struggling to get the wetsuit legs off round your ankles!!

If you are up in bonnie Scotland - many folk opt for a 6mm wetsuit if they are to stay out longer. All my winter suits are hooded ....Xcel does it for me.

Winter and surfing is more fun if you ask me.....seems to be the only time we get waves in the east coast :P
skimmer2

Postby stephh » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:34 am

As you can appreciate if it is windy and freezing then you don't really want to be stood there for ages semi-naked and soaked. How do you do it on a beach that has no nearby facilities???

Don't be such wussies for a start - MTFU :wink:

Get quicker at getting your suit on and off and orgainse you clothes before you rush into the water so they are ready to go when you get out. Also I always leave a beanie on my windscreen wipers so as soon as I get back to the car can keep my head warm and have a flask of hot tea/coffee/chocoltae to get down your crop.

If however you are in the SW really don't be so pathetic and get on with it - its not that cold :-) and decent 3-5mm boots and gloves should do it - if however you are on the East coast/Scotland plan ahead with warm clothing a good base layer & fleece and get these on first before taking you wetsuit legs off and have 5-7mm boots and gloves and a hood/twat hat.
paddlepaddlepaddle
stephh

Postby redeyedrichard » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:41 am

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I am gunna be surfing East Coast mainly as its the closest spot. I live in Leeds which is like smack bang in the middle of the damn country...crap for surfing. Gunna try and get down south a few times though.

Yeah I have a 5mm Rip Curl wetsuit and it is nice and warm, I have been looking at some 3mm gloves that look just right for the job. I will look up the O'neill ones you suggested.

And I hoped you wouldn't say that there was nothing I could do about getting changed. hahaha. :lol: I hate the wind when it is cold and I am wet. Sucks!

I've been looking at the Rip Curl Fireskin hoods...they look pretty neat.

Where on east coast do you surf?

And "stephh" your reply just came in as I was typing this...good advice man. Flask of tea, beanie, organised clothing...great advice. Scrap the wussies part though. :p haha. Thanks mate.

Rik
redeyedrichard

Postby Chris F » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:08 am

I have one of the excel thermal rashies with the built in hood, I really liek it. Boots - I get cold feet quite quickly, and feel the cold, esp if I am having a long session, so went for the Alder Plasma 7mm boots. Gloves - for mid winter I go for the Xcel 3 finger mitts.

As far as getting changed afters goes - be prepared, have a routine and work fast. Strip off to waist, towel off quickly, get a beanie and a thermal top / thick fleece / duvel jacket on. Pause for breath and a hot cut of tea or hot choc, then deal with the rest. Having a tarp or smething to stand on helps.
Chris F

Postby lostboy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:13 am

man

Stephh is a wo-man.
:wink:

If you're surfing the east coast, thinking about adding an extra mm to your rubber - eg, 7mm boots will ensure your feet are toasty. For me it's always my feet that succumb first.
Kill. Destroy. Plunder.
lostboy

Postby stephh » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:25 pm

Thanks mate.

No problem - you are still a wuss though :-D :wink:
paddlepaddlepaddle
stephh

Postby surfinsmiler » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:04 pm

What vehicle? If a hatchback park it so you can get changed in the lee of the opened hatchback...keeps the wind off.As aforementioned arrange clothing prior to return to vehicle.You will find that you'll be plenty warm enough if you've been working hard at paddling and if anything a sweat may have been worked up!.But....the cold will get you when you pull down your wetsuit top and expose the wet rash vest.Get the rashie off toot sweet and you'll feel warm again prior to putting on your warm dry (pre-arranged) clothing.Mitts are warmer than gloves.A good hood is essential,get one that has an inner flap that tucks into the neck of your wetsuit and an outer flap to prevent flushes. Attach all wetsuit gear,leashes,wax, car key on a string around your neck(not electronic ones) etc. BEFORE YOU PUT THE GLOVES/MITTS ON.It's a twat trying to do it after you've got the gear on. Apart from all that, enjoy yourself,and.........toughen the fuck up.
Started out in life with nothing and I've still got most of it left!
surfinsmiler

Postby redeyedrichard » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:08 pm

stephh wrote:
Thanks mate.

No problem - you are still a wuss though :-D :wink:

Haha...btw, my bad on the gender confusion. I did say "man" as more of a mannerism than anything else...perhap's "ma'am" would have been more appropriate. lol. Or as most Yorkshire folk say "thanks love"...but I hate that. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the advice folks...I don't get cold quickly but as it is my first time doing the whole winter routine I figured I'd get some advice from folks that have done it already. Thanks.

By they way, I have a VW Polo Estate...and I was thinking about changing in the shelter of the opened boot. Thanks.
redeyedrichard

Postby majordom » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:43 pm

get a robie for changing in the cold

i dont like ecel wetsuits (oneill fits me better) but thir boots and gloves are ace
the drylock is worth paying up for

i also have an excel neopren sleeveless vest and a polypro sleeveless with neoprene hood
worn under the suit when it gets cold - the hood has a flap over your neckhole
and is nearly as good as an attached hood -together these give you lots of options
for adding layers as it gets colder
majordom

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:39 pm

5/4/3 ......... Excel thermal rashie with hood, 7mm boots , 3 mm gloves ...................... then speed of the puma :wink:

Don't buy a hood - it's like sticking your head in a fucking goldfish bowl :evil:
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby skimmer2 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:06 pm

majordom wrote:get a robie for changing in the cold

i dont like ecel wetsuits (oneill fits me better) but thir boots and gloves are ace
the drylock is worth paying up for

i also have an excel neopren sleeveless vest and a polypro sleeveless with neoprene hood
worn under the suit when it gets cold - the hood has a flap over your neckhole
and is nearly as good as an attached hood -together these give you lots of options
for adding layers as it gets colder

I've never seen anyone using a Robie before...maybe a Scottish thing that we enjoy frezing our bolloks off :D
skimmer2

Postby Chris F » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:16 am

Probably because you would get laughed at! Long sleeve thermal top asap (pref wicking), beanie, then Monkeyman fleece and down gillet.
Chris F

Postby Poo Stance » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:47 am

stephh wrote:Get quicker at getting your suit on and off and orgainse you clothes before you rush into the water so they are ready to go when you get out. Also I always leave a beanie on my windscreen wipers so as soon as I get back to the car can keep my head warm and have a flask of hot tea/coffee/chocoltae to get down your crop.

Organise and Beanie and flask of soup/tea/etc. = top tips. A hot water bottle is also a winner.

surfinsmiler wrote:If a hatchback park it so you can get changed in the lee of the opened hatchback

Or if in a car park with toilets - park near the toilets and use the building for shelter. Or use someone else van/hedge/cliff.

surfinsmiler wrote:Attach all wetsuit gear,leashes,wax, car key on a string around your neck(not electronic ones) etc. BEFORE YOU PUT THE GLOVES/MITTS ON.It's a twat trying to do it after you've got the gear on. Apart from all that, enjoy yourself,and.........toughen the fuck up.

Gloves on last - And don't forget to lock your car before you hide your key and put your gloves on. :evil:

As said, get changed in stages. Beanie on 1st. Top half of wettie off. Dry and cloth. Then bottom half.

Again, a sleeveless (less energy sapping compared to with sleeves) thermal rashie with hood. Alder and Xcel do good ones, but the fit is important, head size and all. When buying boots and gloves make sure the neck of the boot is long so that your suit stays over the boot in the water to prevent flushing. Same with gloves. The area around the ankle and wrists have very exposed blood vessels so loose heat quicker there. I use 5-7mm booties with 3m gloves. Again, fit is important. If your boots are too big your feet can shift about in them (split toe boots prevent this somewhat). A strap over the top of the boot I find works too. If your gloves are too big (fill with water) or thick (5mm), it'll be a bitch to paddle them. Fingered, claw or mitt... you choose. I like fingered so I can hold stuff better.

This winter I'm considering trailing wearing a beanie under my hood. Will see how that goes, anyone tried it?

:arrow:
Poo Stance

Postby majordom » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:56 am

robies are riduculous but the do work !

last weekend my mate was chatting up two surfchicks who were going out as we came in
and i came over to join in wearing my robie - they couldnt get away fast enough !

:lol:
majordom

Postby vibe surf » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:59 pm

ive done 12 winters on the east coast 6/5 hooded suit 4mm glove 7mm boot, get some bottles of hot water to fill a tub and stand in it while you change, wrap towels round them for a warm towel when you get out, buy a van.
Job done.
www.vibesurfshop.co.uk
vibe surf

Postby skimmer2 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:23 pm

Chris F wrote:Probably because you would get laughed at! Long sleeve thermal top asap (pref wicking), beanie, then Monkeyman fleece and down gillet.

Or use one of these...had this for about 15 years ever since I was a river kayaker....you just shove it on as soon as the top half of your wetsuit is off. Warm when wet too...indestructible...windproof, toasty, light and wicks.....a truly superb bit of kit..and British! If you are a mountaineer, hill walker etc you'll know this gear.

http://www.qmstores.co.uk/gbu0-prodshow/BF-SPC6-OG.html
skimmer2

Postby majordom » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:36 pm

that website has everything for the military fantasist !

what colour is the boathouse ?
majordom

Postby DrJive » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:08 pm

Jesus I just take my suit off same as any other time. Standing on icey frozen grass with a driving sleety wind cutting through your chest, its a pure cunt but it's worth it sometimes.
DrJive

Postby Chris F » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:58 pm

skimmer2 wrote:Or use one of these...had this for about 15 years ever since I was a river kayaker....you just shove it on as soon as the top half of your wetsuit is off. Warm when wet too...indestructible...windproof, toasty, light and wicks.....a truly superb bit of kit..and British! If you are a mountaineer, hill walker etc you'll know this gear.

I know buffalos very well, used to have one for winter climbing, but found it too hot and sweaty, so gave it away. Good, but probably overkill for changing out of a wetsuit.
Chris F

Postby skimmer2 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:06 pm

Chris F wrote:
skimmer2 wrote:Or use one of these...had this for about 15 years ever since I was a river kayaker....you just shove it on as soon as the top half of your wetsuit is off. Warm when wet too...indestructible...windproof, toasty, light and wicks.....a truly superb bit of kit..and British! If you are a mountaineer, hill walker etc you'll know this gear.

I know buffalos very well, used to have one for winter climbing, but found it too hot and sweaty, so gave it away. Good, but probably overkill for changing out of a wetsuit.

Yip - certainly wouldn't buy one especially for it....but if you have one then ace for that sort of thing...don't need various layers/jackets..just bunging one bit of kit on and away you go. Used mine right through winter....easy and quick and not too hot as you're not exactly moving about....just picking up your gear, shovng the board on the rack, having some food then offsky in the motor. What I love about them is you just canny destroy them and you can get them minging wet, dirty and it doesny matter...okay maybe I'm a clarty git. :D
skimmer2

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:27 am

DrJive wrote:Jesus I just take my suit off same as any other time. Standing on icey frozen grass with a driving sleety wind cutting through your chest, its a pure cunt but it's worth it sometimes.

^^^ What he says - get a grip you bunch of gay cunts :lol: :roll:
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Chris F » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:29 am

I wish I was so butch and rugged and manly like you guys :roll:

Suffering unnecessarily is for cretins.
Chris F

Postby GiantCorn » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:46 pm

1) turn car to face wind and change behind boot door

2) stand on duckboards or in a bucket

3) bring a 10Litre tank of hot tap water (about 60 degrees when you leave house). Wrap your towel around tank for trip.

4) after trip and surf water will be cooler but comparatively hot compared to your frozen testicles! Pour inside wetsuit and warm up.

5) dry off with your nice warm towel quickly.

job done
GiantCorn

Postby Chris F » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:35 pm

As much as I like getting warm as quickly as possible, carrying 10l of hot water around sounds like a right faff.
Chris F

Postby skimmer2 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:15 pm

I'm sure there was someone here who cliamed to wear their wetsuit home in the car and got changed in the shower/bath.
skimmer2

Postby GiantCorn » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:35 am

Postby Chris F on Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:35 pm
As much as I like getting warm as quickly as possible, carrying 10l of hot water around sounds like a right faff.

Yeah it's a minor faff, but it's not like you're gonna carry it to the beach. Chuck it in the boot of your car. Plus if you've got a long drive home it's nice to wash off the salt. Can get itchy after a while in a warm car. I do it all the time in winter, it takes 2 min to fill the tank. no worries.
GiantCorn

Postby browncurtains » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:30 am

all the above....
but the obvious one, that loads of people seam to forget.
when putiing wetsuit on, getting change for session. one should approach it in an orderly fashion.

usual stand on boardbag.
then trousers socks off, then put wet suit on to waist, then wetsuit boots on....
then coats jumpers etc off, wetsuit on ...... then coat back on top. ... keep hat on through this....
if your too hot ... then great.

end of session.... wetsuit down to waist..... t shirts , thermals, fleeces, coats, hat on, gloves on (do remember these )...... warm up a bit..then take the rest of wetsuit off......trousers , sock onetc
for this reason , you are gonna need more than a 'gaydad' t shirt , trainer socks and a university of Preston surf club hoody..........outdoor/ warm stuff is your friend you need lots of it.... unless you are 20 minutes from central heating.....

bottom line no need to stand around the car park with nothing on in january getting even colder discussing your rad moves whilst loosing any form of feeling you feet or hands.

no need to break the bank either
20n- £30.. 6mm boots fine for east coast winters.......4mm ish mitts are much warmer if you can get your head round them. no need for drylock etc at this stage...
get a hood and get used to wearer it sooner in the season ... cracks me up when people take off their beanies in november/ december to surf with no hood ... hoods are warmer than blue tac, and you do get used to them ...... surfing longsands in february can be an exception to the hood rule

.................. scarboro/ whitby or saltburn all have fine establishments staffed by some fine people that can kit you out for the job with this stuff.....

if your current suits don't leak like sieves or constantly flush through you should be fine ...if not you just have to paddle more and not sit like a lemming waiting for the set of the day.....
bottom line have fun and
start saving to buy a new full on winter suit ready for next winter.........
browncurtains

Postby danny1 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:28 pm

there are two threads on here about winter tips..but i cant find em..loads of good advice as well as the advice above...cant find the fucker though.
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Next

Return to Learn to Surf