On land exercises

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

On land exercises

Postby redeyedrichard » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:07 am

Does anyone else do any on-land exercises to stay in shape for the surf? If so what do you do?

Rik
redeyedrichard

Re: On land exercises

Postby skimmer2 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:09 pm

redeyedrichard wrote:Does anyone else do any on-land exercises to stay in shape for the surf? If so what do you do?

Rik

http://www.surfstronger.com/tips/ -

And do anything aerobic - run, cycle, swim etc

Best thing of course is to surf...only way you'll get those muscles needed working. I was advised to get out and paddle even when flat.....hmmm...not sure about that....bit dull. Of course, I do all the above religiously :wink:

Not forgetting...do 20 pop ups ech day and that'll get you knacked.
skimmer2

Postby redeyedrichard » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:11 pm

skimmer2 wrote:
redeyedrichard wrote:Does anyone else do any on-land exercises to stay in shape for the surf? If so what do you do?

Rik

http://www.surfstronger.com/tips/ -

And do anything aerobic - run, cycle, swim etc

Best thing of course is to surf...only way you'll get those muscles needed working. I was advised to get out and paddle even when flat.....hmmm...not sure about that....bit dull. Of course, I do all the above religiously :wink:

Not forgetting...do 20 pop ups ech day and that'll get you knacked.

Yeah I do the pop ups. And it is knackering indeed. I have been checking out that surf stronger stuff and it seems pretty interesting and benefitial. Thanks.
redeyedrichard

Postby Mt_Sthcoast » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:58 am

Went to circuit training for the first time yesterday. And, whilst unbelievably hard work, I couldn't believe how much I think it would improve my surfing...

running, etc, for cardio
push-ups, burpees, jumps for pop-ups
weights for a little explosive strength when you need it

Would definately recommend it.
Mt_Sthcoast

Postby redeyedrichard » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:43 pm

Mt_Sthcoast wrote:Went to circuit training for the first time yesterday. And, whilst unbelievably hard work, I couldn't believe how much I think it would improve my surfing...

running, etc, for cardio
push-ups, burpees, jumps for pop-ups
weights for a little explosive strength when you need it

Would definately recommend it.

Yeah I have been considering a spot of circuit training but its finding the time amongst other things. I will get down to it one of these days.
redeyedrichard

Postby Duncs » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:34 am

Indo Board (or equivalent I guess) - excellent (addictive!!), IndoFlo cushion + exercises using 'swiss ball'. I basically created my own 'circuit routine' which I can do at home (or in hotels as I travel a lot) which is working well. I do have experience as a gym instructor and an osteopath treating sports injuries so I guess my base knowledge was good but it's pretty easy to work out a routine using resources on the net, speaking with instructors etc.
Duncs

Postby Chris F » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:46 am

if you are travelling a lot, a piece of theraband can give you a upper body workout, and is small enought to go in your pocket.

I do yoga twice a week and find it helps with many aspects of my surfing.
Chris F

Postby redeyedrichard » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:56 pm

I bought that Fit To Surf book and that has some brilliant yoga and exercises in it. Enhances muscles and gives you some great pre surf stretches.
redeyedrichard

Postby Mt_Sthcoast » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:28 pm

redeyedrichard wrote:I bought that Fit To Surf book and that has some brilliant yoga and exercises in it. Enhances muscles and gives you some great pre surf stretches.

I bought it too, but it's been sat collecting dust ever since.... Good at exercise theory, just not great on taking the leap to put in into practice.
Mt_Sthcoast

Postby t4haus » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:31 am

I bought a book called fit to surf, its been really good, i have always trained hard but i now train just for surfing........ so that i can have the most amount of time in the water by not being so knackered.

I thought i was so fit until i started surfing, not i know it was not all over conditioning, which is what surfing needs..........

give it a go if your serious. :-D
It is easier to beg forgiveness that to gain permission
t4haus

Postby redeyedrichard » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:22 pm

Guess what...I got fit...

THEN I BROKE MY FREAKIN' ELBOW!!!

That happened on the 6th November, and I am still on sick from work etc...my fitness levels have gone down. Couldn't do my yoga stretches in the morning and my body has been like WTF are you doing man!!!

Sucks.
redeyedrichard

Postby innocent surf school » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:10 am

Swimming (with interval sprints).
Ashtanga yoga
Cycling

and you'll be fine.

All the best,

Sam
Innocent Surf School, Playa Guiones, Costa Rica.
www.surf-camp.com.
innocent surf school

Postby nomad_surfer » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:47 pm

Duncs wrote:Indo Board (or equivalent I guess) - excellent (addictive!!), IndoFlo cushion + exercises using 'swiss ball'. I basically created my own 'circuit routine' which I can do at home (or in hotels as I travel a lot) which is working well. I do have experience as a gym instructor and an osteopath treating sports injuries so I guess my base knowledge was good but it's pretty easy to work out a routine using resources on the net, speaking with instructors etc.

Couldn't agree with this more. I bought an indo board a few years ago and my surfing has improved dramatically. You can do all sorts of exercises on it; squats, press ups, cross-stepping (if your a longboarder or just fancy a go) but the thing thats improved the most is my pop-ups. Try doing 20 pops a day onto an indo board and they will get lightning fast, smooth and precise.
nomad_surfer

Postby KennyW » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:00 am

I get to surf a lot so I dont do much surf specific exercise, instead I like to get out on the beach or where ever and do some MovNat training (http://www.movnat.com). I also have a swiss ball for my core and do some yoga.
KennyW

Postby Barneyrubble » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:43 am

nomad_surfer wrote:
Duncs wrote:Indo Board (or equivalent I guess) - excellent (addictive!!), IndoFlo cushion + exercises using 'swiss ball'. I basically created my own 'circuit routine' which I can do at home (or in hotels as I travel a lot) which is working well. I do have experience as a gym instructor and an osteopath treating sports injuries so I guess my base knowledge was good but it's pretty easy to work out a routine using resources on the net, speaking with instructors etc.

Couldn't agree with this more. I bought an indo board a few years ago and my surfing has improved dramatically. You can do all sorts of exercises on it; squats, press ups, cross-stepping (if your a longboarder or just fancy a go) but the thing thats improved the most is my pop-ups. Try doing 20 pops a day onto an indo board and they will get lightning fast, smooth and precise.

Pop ups onto an Indo board? How on earth do you do that..they are tiny!
Barneyrubble

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:41 pm

Barneyrubble wrote:
nomad_surfer wrote:

Pop ups onto an Indo board? How on earth do you do that..they are tiny!

90 Degs mate :wink:
ATTMFKH

Postby gazza42 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:08 pm

Couldn't agree with this more. I bought an indo board a few years ago and my surfing has improved dramatically. You can do all sorts of exercises on it; squats, press ups, cross-stepping (if your a longboarder or just fancy a go) but the thing thats improved the most is my pop-ups. Try doing 20 pops a day onto an indo board and they will get lightning fast, smooth and precise.[/quote][/quote]

I am still unsure exactly what you mean by doing a pop up onto an indo board, as I have one and would like to try it, but can someone explain in more detail exactly how to do this, thanks
gazza42

Postby skimmer2 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:04 pm

gazza42 wrote:Couldn't agree with this more. I bought an indo board a few years ago and my surfing has improved dramatically. You can do all sorts of exercises on it; squats, press ups, cross-stepping (if your a longboarder or just fancy a go) but the thing thats improved the most is my pop-ups. Try doing 20 pops a day onto an indo board and they will get lightning fast, smooth and precise.
[/quote]

I am still unsure exactly what you mean by doing a pop up onto an indo board, as I have one and would like to try it, but can someone explain in more detail exactly how to do this, thanks[/quote]

Yeah.....graphics please. Sounds bloody imposible to me!
skimmer2

Postby Liam Wall » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:54 pm

Liam Wall

Postby gazza42 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:42 pm

Nice one Liam, thanks & agreed sure looks hard but should help too as said earlier
gazza42

Return to Learn to Surf