minimal tricks

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

minimal tricks

Postby lifesgood » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:34 pm

Hey guys
I've been riding my 7"6 mal for a while now and its all good. But can't find any tricks for it. I can do a hand stand and some turn and stuff but yeh. Is the only option getting a shortboard' cus it can get kinda crappy wher I am so a mal is great. Cheers

Re: minimal tricks

Postby Vince Noir » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:15 pm

are you kidding ?

Check out youtube for tonnes of footage of people ripping on mals and logs !

or travel for some better waves
Vince Noir

Postby Grom » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:20 pm

When riding whitewater:

180 jumps
360 jumps
Ride backwads
Ski stance
Sit down and "meditate"
Hand drags
Rail grabs (these and hand drags good for getting onto "green" or unbroken waves)

Riding wave:

Drop knee cutback
Snap (if you're high standard)

etc. etc.
Eddie Would Go.....probably

Postby slappywagish » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:49 pm

Lots you can do on a minimal. lots of different styles too. got really in to easy laid back retro style soul surfing in small summer swells last year. hand 5 stick your belly out. standing tall, riding backwards. big laaaazy bottom turns. minimals are ridiculously versatile. just look to older surf vids for inspiration,

Postby bakers » Thu May 31, 2012 12:51 pm

have you managed to find any tutorials or info? ive got a minimal myself and find getting any info on it quite hard

Postby » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:15 pm

Lol if you are good enough you can do most things on a mal that you can on a shortboard.... What kindof level are you at? Cut backs are easy on mals and floaters are possible...Just play and have fun rather than thinking you have to do 'tricks'.
Good luck; have fun + happy surfing! :mrgreen:
Join us at:!/surfmorocco

Postby bakers » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:48 pm

ive moved onto a shorter board now. 7' salomon s, been riding it for about 6 months but went back to the mal for a session a few weeks ago and it felt awsome. getting some really nice turns in, it was a lot of fun and definetly felt a lot easier to ride after using the salomon for so long!

Return to Learn to Surf