Problems Popping up...

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Problems Popping up...

Postby Newbie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:51 am

Ive Been On my 7'6" Mal for about a week now, Im able to catch and ride but im having Problems Popping up.
Ive even tried going from my knees then to my feet but i fail.

Ive tried Using the rails to push up from and from the centre of the board, but still no joy.
Anyone have any tips i can put to good use?

or am i trying to run before i can walk? is 7 days enough time to be able to stand?

cheers in advance

Re: Problems Popping up...

Postby Black » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:05 am

Forget getting to your knees - its just one quick, explosive move from prone to feet. Just takes practice which you can do on dry land also. Keep at it & you'll get there. Its actually easier to do on bigger faster waves.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Jasedrummer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:57 pm

hey, you are probably having the same issues as me.....are your feet off the edge of the board? this does make popping up a little bit trickier for beginners such as myself...!

However, its not impossible as with shortboards, your feet are always off the edge. there are some vids on YouTube showing how to pop up on a shortboard which are worth looking at....

Also practice popping up on land, I do 25 pop ups a day...as well as improving your strength, its also muscle memory, so when you get in the water you don't have to worry about what do when the time comes. If you have a hard epoxy board its worth trying popping up on this on land, so you get the positon and feel right....

That said, I am still having problems popping up when I get into the water - this I have been told is due to the fact that the sea is pretty wobbly and there are a lot of distractions, like a pile of whitewater landing on top of you, as opposed to a nice flat stable floor......I just need to get in the water some more now to be honest.

Don't get disheartened - you not the only one who goes though this and if your determined enough you'll get past this as well.
Jasedrummer

Postby Newbie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 pm

Actually good to read possitive feedback and common problems.

was starting to think that i didnt have the knack for it.
will try both the wet and dry exercises.

ill have a look on youtube also.

cheers for the feedback.

Postby barsky » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:18 pm

Practice on dry land. I used to put all the cushions and pillows I could find on the floor, then put my board on top of them, making sure the fin was well off the ground, lie on the board and practice pop ups over and over. This definitely helps when you are in the water. I still had problems in the water because my legs were too far apart, so when I went to pop up my toes were missing the back of the board. Now I concentrate on getting my knees together before I pop up and that seems to have solved the problem. If you are a normal mortal, understand that learning to surf is very difficult, but achievable with persistance, resilience and lots of practice. Hope this helps. Good luck.
barsky

Postby Captain Crap » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:03 pm

Some golden rules for learning to surf:

1) DON'T DROP IN

2) LEARN TO LIE ON YOUR BOARD IN TRIM - lie as far forward as possible without nose diving. Arch your back to help prevent this. Lying too far back means no ride.

3) LEARN TO READ A WAVE PT 1. DON'T JUST PADDLE FOR ANYTHING AND EXPECT TO MAKE IT REGARDLESS - there is a certain 'window' when you want to go for a wave - not too steep or 'late' as it'll just break on you, and not too early as you'll never catch it. If you can, try to catch waves as early as possible when your learning as you'll have more time to get up. PADDLE HARD. If that doesn't work PADDLE HARDER.

4) LEARN TO READ A WAVE PT 2 - learn to read which way the wave will break (as in right or left) so you can eventually angle your take off and/or bottom turn accordingly.

5) THERE IS ONLY ONE TRUE POP UP - LEARN IT AND PRACTICE IT UNTIL IT IS INSTINCTIVE IN THE WATER - this is as good an example as there is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibI53NjCyBo

Put your hands flat on the board - NOT THE RAILS - this will help with stability.

Disregard all other methods of getting to your feet. Ignore anyone who tells you to use your feet to push/spring from on the back of your board or to get up in stages ( ie knees first). Unless you want to ride a longboard on slow beach breaks for the rest of your life, you need to be as fast, fluid and consistent as possible.

Watch any good / pro surfer and see how they make this pop up look so easy.

6)PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.
Last edited by Captain Crap on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Crap

Postby Newbie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:08 pm

Firstly - i laughed my tits off at that link! (Because for some reason the first time i clicked it i got this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag29i9GYbKg)

secondly - cheers for the info, ill be putting this all in to good practice.

cheers
Last edited by Newbie on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Captain Crap » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:11 pm

Have corrected the link - this one was obviously wrong....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag29i9GYbKg
Captain Crap

Postby Newbie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:13 pm

got it matey, good tips there, ill be practicing that most of this evening and further on untill ive got it nailed.

cheers for your wisom :)

Postby digger88 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:41 pm

Captain crap whats wrong with longboarding slow beach breaks for the rest of your life if i dont improve thats me but i still love it.
digger88

Postby flacky » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:40 pm

Forget the word explosive or you'll just fuck your board up. Smooth is the key. Same as sex.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Black » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:51 pm

flacky wrote:Forget the word explosive or you'll just fuck your board up. Smooth is the key. Same as sex.
Sorry! May explain the state of my boards.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby jp246 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:30 pm

It's purely practice. The more you get used to popping up the smoother and easier it will be.
jp246

Postby Newbie » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:35 pm

flacky wrote:Forget the word explosive or you'll just fuck your board up. Smooth is the key. Same as sex.

two pumps and a squirt?

Postby Chris F » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:35 am

Do loads of press ups too. You should be strong enough to do at least 10-12 proper ones in a set.

And do't stand straight up as soon as you are on your feet, if you are gangly like me. Stay crouched and keep your Centre of Gravity low.
Chris F

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:53 pm

Chris F wrote:Do loads of press ups too. You should be strong enough to do at least 10-12 proper ones in a set.

And do't stand straight up as soon as you are on your feet, if you are gangly like me. Stay crouched and keep your Centre of Gravity low.

:lol: :lol: ^^^ essence of Poo
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Poo Stance » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:06 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Too true.
Poo Stance

Postby Chris F » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:23 pm

It is actually possible to crouch and look graceful and non-poo if you are over 6 ft. Just not for me :-(
Chris F

Postby samwak » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:38 pm

It's more likely to be a flexibility issue rather than strength. So stretching may help.
Try popping up on the board on the beach too (press fins into the sand) and that will be good practice.
Coming up onto both knees or one knee is fine. Try not to stay on your knees for too long as in this position you have weight on the back of the board which is effectively having the brake on so your nose will be raised and you might loose the wave.
So once your on your knees be sure to step through with your leading leg as soon as possible.
Make sure you twist your shoulders so that you can place your front foot between your hands across the stringer (wood through centre of the board). This will make the board stable.
Be sure to leave you back foot knee and foot where it is. Don't be tempted to drag that forward to as you may end up standing up too far forward on the board and nose diving.

Good luck.

Sam
Innocent Surf School, Nosara, Costa Rica.
www.surf-camp.com.
samwak

Postby quentinfarquar » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:02 pm

I am having the same issues here with the pop up, I just carn't seem to get the short board pop up on or off land. I am 32 and have a desk job, so I am obviously pushing my body into positions it hasn't done for many years. I can however get up using my feet to push from a long board, so the question I am now faced with is, do I longboard and then as I get better move to a shorter board if I feel the need. As realistically with a fulltime desk job, a family and all the other commitments am I ever really going to be able surf enough to improve to the level I need to. I just want to go out for a few hours on a weekend, forget about life and catch some waves, it seems to me longboarding might offer this.
quentinfarquar

Postby henryg » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:39 pm

If you can't stand up after a week i think you should probably give up surfing to be honest. In fact, I doubt you're ever gonna come to much in life at all
STOP...... Hammertime
henryg

Postby Barneyrubble » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:28 pm

henryg wrote:If you can't stand up after a week i think you should probably give up surfing to be honest. In fact, I doubt you're ever gonna come to much in life at all

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Barneyrubble

Postby quentinfarquar » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:31 pm

Is that a week of going everyday or 2 hours on a sat, as that will depend on when I give up.
quentinfarquar

Postby Chris F » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:04 pm

quentinfarquar wrote:the question I am now faced with is, do I longboard and then as I get better move to a shorter board if I feel the need. As realistically with a fulltime desk job, a family and all the other commitments am I ever really going to be able surf enough to improve to the level I need to. I just want to go out for a few hours on a weekend, forget about life and catch some waves, it seems to me longboarding might offer this.

Surely you are answering your own question?
Chris F

Postby innocent surf school » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:01 pm

Stick with the longboard and you'll have way more fun.
Try coming up onto both or one knee first in a dog style position. Then bring your front foot through to land horizontally across the middle of the board between your hands.
This front foot is key as if toes are pointing towards the beach/it's off centre the board will tip as soon as you take the weight out of your hands to stand up.
Be sure to keep your head up through the pop up, don't look down! And when you go to push up make sure your hands are right back by your bottom rib.
Once you've popped up, move your hips forward to accelerate (move weight forward). If you have too much weight on the back foot the board will sink and you'll lose the wave.
Have fun
Sam
Innocent surf resort
www.surf-camp.com.
innocent surf school

Postby daina902 » Mon May 31, 2010 8:42 pm

Regarding your troubles popping up, even on land...

I snowboard, and to figure if I was goofy or regular I did the standard push test, to see which foot automatically moved forward first to break my fall. I was goofy, so that's how my stance was trying to learn to surf as well. I spent all summer trying to pop up on my board goofy and was slow and awkward, and was so frustrated that I couldn't seem to 'get it'. Then my husband and I befriended a wayward wandering surf bum and brought him home. He stayed with us for a couple months, and during that time he decided to pay us back I would become his 'project' and figure out why I was having such a tough time learning to surf, and to teach me techniques. He was a professional surf instructor, and after 5 minutes of watching me try to pop-up, he told me to try popping up regular instead of goofy. The difference was immediate, and surprising. Aparently my right leg was slightly longer and less flexible compared to my left leg, not noticeably so until I paid attention. So there you have it, your problem might be something as simple as that. I know remember that when I took a group surf lesson ,when the instructor asked if we were regular or goofy, they took our word for it, and if we didn't know they did the push test. I suggest do few pop-ups on your own, on each side, and notice what feels more comfortable and fluid, and go with it.
daina902

Postby sk8mk » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:03 pm

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I watched that youtube video posted about the real shortboard pop up technique, and it says to lift your feet up, but when I do this I find I'm using my knees to help push my body up. Now when I do this, particularly on a carpet (to practice) I find the friction is hurting my knee's, almost like a carpet burn. Has anyone got any advice they could give to stop this happening? Thanks
www.tomrandall.co.uk | www.skateography.com
sk8mk

Postby Monkey_Alan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:20 pm

laminate flooring? :) (sorry)
When the shit goes down, you better be ready....
Monkey_Alan

Postby jp246 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:27 pm

trousers?
jp246

Postby sk8mk » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:34 pm

haha I knew I'd get reply's like that! I just wanted to check I wasn't doing a completely wrong technique, guess in a wetsuit it won't matter anyway :)
www.tomrandall.co.uk | www.skateography.com
sk8mk

Next

Return to Learn to Surf