second board, 7s superfish?

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

second board, 7s superfish?

Postby sparkey159 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:56 am

hey guys I've been surfing for about a year and already own a board (south point 8'0 bonga fun shape) but i was looking into getting another shorter board. i enjoyed having the long-ish board to start me off on getting me comfortable to catching waves, poping up and going down the line, but i wanna be able to get a shorter board to go down the line a little faster and try o do a cut back or two. i want to trade in my original board(the south point) and get a new board. i was thinking of getting a relatively floaty board so i could still catch a lot of waves but some what smaller so i could try some maneuvers. my friends tell me the 7s super fish would be a good choice but i just wanted to know peoples thoughts on it. and what size i should get a board at my size of 6'2 165lb. i know i should support my local shapper but i just don't have that kinda $$$. anybody's thoughts?
sparkey159

Re: second board, 7s superfish?

Postby zboy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:49 pm

i had one got it cheap second hand had a 6 ft used for inch reef irelands j bay only works on big days wanted to take it out to crab but sold it and a reef down the road but used it on small days off my local and went great, great performance the step deck takes a lot of the rail sharpens it up for cut backs going vertical i used quad set up i didnt care who made it and local shapers theirs enough to go around build quality ok to get the best out of it need to be a good surfer get an epoxy one
zboy

Postby skasteppa » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:09 am

Pretty much in the same situation as you there Sparkey, went and talked to Secret Spot shop in Scarborough about moving from rentals and buying my own but wanted a board to progress on- ive surfed an NSP board at a surf school and loved it as it was so reliable for going down the line but was a killer to try and turn and lost speed alot.
They recommended the 7s Superfish XL (id had my eye on it for ages) and read ace reviews, a big selling point was the ability to move my back foot gradually further back as i got better and create sharper turns and possibly some cutbacks . Whilst they said the NSP was great for learning and couldnt be faulted for beginners the Superfish was a board that would progress with me- effectively making it a longer lasting board as i wouldnt get bored of it once i mastered standing in my learning stance. Its also meant to be a fast and reliable wave catcher that will increase my wave count without being samey .
Also, the Superfish maintains its price if its looked after and they offered a good part ex price if i did want to move to a shorter board in the future.
Im taking the Superfish out soon and will post how i get on- if i were you id go in and chat to your local shop/shaper and ask as many questions in person- get them to talk you through all aspects of the board as it really settled my mind for spending shed loads of money i shouldnt!
skasteppa

Postby skasteppa » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:23 pm

The board arrives tomorrow, cant wait to take it out to Croyde at the weekend!
skasteppa

Postby skasteppa » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:24 pm

The board is great!highly recommend this board to anyone moving up from rentals,bics and nsp's.
It's a delight to paddle,has upped by wave count loads and is great going down the line,finally started to turn properly and feel I'm learning with every surf.
I'll be buying from a shaper next time but this board is everything I need right now.
skasteppa

Return to Learn to Surf