Beginner longboard fin setup + pearling

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Beginner longboard fin setup + pearling

Postby RuitBier » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:53 am

I've only been surfing for about a year on a used 9'6" Walden longboard that came with a 2+1 setup (8" FCS Dolphin Fin + 2 small side fins). I'm 34 years old, 6' tall, 165 lbs, surfing on the East Coast, USA. I'm starting to get more consistant catching waves however I'm having issues with pearling just as the wave starts propelling me forward but before I pop up. It's frustrating as hell because I feel like I'm in the right position on the board, paddling well, arching my back but I'm so worried about pearling that I keep moving my weight back or pulling up to fight it that I'm missing or pearling on 1/2 the waves I paddle for. I've read the advice on the forums about avoiding pearling but I'm curious if there's anything I can/should do with my fins to help with my issue. I've read that maybe I should remove the side fins and move the center fin all the way back in the box (toward the tail) which might help? Any advice on this or my pearling issue in general? Is the 9'6" Walden a decent board for my height/weight/age/ability?
RuitBier

Re: Beginner longboard fin setup + pearling

Postby skasteppa » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:50 am

Hi mate, not sure about the fins issue, but this vid helped me with pearling problems, particularly the part about instinct and body placement part. hope if helps and good luck!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I62X7kgz ... re=related
skasteppa

Postby Poo Stance » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:12 am

I can't see how the fins are making you pearl. Just pick your wave a bit earlier, paddle earlier and get your timing right and you'll catch the wave rather than the wave catching you. Sounds like you don't have enough speed at the critical point where you catch the wave, and then it's just picking you up. When this happens the tail of the board lifts up and the nose will inevitably dig in if you don't have enough forward momentum. Paddle early, paddle hard. That should do you.

And move the fin forward to help you turn. Move it back on steeper waves for more hold.
Poo Stance

Postby RuitBier » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:18 am

Thanks for the advice so far. After watching that vid and reading other posts it definitely sounds like I need to get my speed up because that's exactly what's happening; the wave is picking up the tail and dumping me forward. I didn't think my fins were causing me to pearl I just wanted to see if there was a better setup for my ability that would help in general. How about surfing that Walden as a single fin? If moving my center fin back gives me more hold, what if I took the side bites out altogether? Would the 8" center I have in there be OK as a single? Thanks again, this site is sweet!
RuitBier

Postby Jory » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:04 pm

Without wanting to be negative, at this stage, just go surfing, don't obsess about fin set ups etc. At this stage you probably wont notice a lot of difference, you just need more practice
Jory

Postby mako25 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:10 pm

skasteppa wrote:Hi mate, not sure about the fins issue, but this vid helped me with pearling problems, particularly the part about instinct and body placement part. hope if helps and good luck!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I62X7kgz ... re=related

Hey thanks for that link that video was very informative.
mako25

Postby Chris F » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:12 am

If they are steep waves taking off diagonally may help.

And with a longboard definitely aim for getting on the wave as early as possible. Start paddling slowly at first to get the board moving, then put in half a dozen or more long hard strokes as the wave gets closer. You should be hitting peak paddle speed as the swell reaches you.
Chris F

Postby lanikai » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:44 pm

Chris F wrote:If they are steep waves taking off diagonally may help.

And with a longboard definitely aim for getting on the wave as early as possible. Start paddling slowly at first to get the board moving, then put in half a dozen or more long hard strokes as the wave gets closer. You should be hitting peak paddle speed as the swell reaches you.

Such great advice! I was having problems pearling because I use to paddle hard early on and lose my puff as the swell reached me! I have been doing the slow then fast paddling few weeks and it works wonders!
lanikai

Return to Learn to Surf