Starter board advice

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Starter board advice

Postby Toyclean » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:22 pm

Hi there. I'm a starter (can just about pop-up) and have been using rented boards, most recently a 8 4" Bic ACS. i want to get my own deck and have seen a 7 10" "Take Off" that looks okay. I know it's a bottom end of the market board but I can't find any reviews or opinions of it anywhere. Has anyone used them and do you have any views about them as far as a beginners board goes?

Thanks.

MT
Toyclean

Re: Starter board advice

Postby AMPhoto » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:43 am

Is the Take Off another bic? Really when it comes time to get your own board, it pays to invest in a nice board from a good shaper. Dont buy a popout board because as you progress you will quickly realize that they just dont cut it, not to mention taking money from honest shapers. Go to the surfshop closest to you and have them help you pick out a board. If you cant afford one brand new, then have them help you find a good used one. Most surf shops will have a selection of used boards. You'll be much better off with a good used board than a new popout.
AMPhoto

Postby witteringsurfshop » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:39 pm

Hi Toyclean,
Based on the south coast of the UK we have perfect conditions for learning to surf so we stock a great range of beginner boards.

I wouldn't reccomend a Bic or a Popout (unless you really have to) if you are starting to get on your feet as you'll start to gain confidence, balence and want to start turning shortly. The problem with getting a popout is that you will want to be rid of it within 6 months, and selling them second hand is easy but they are not generally worth much.

If you can afford to get a good solid Minimal around 7'6 - 8'6 depending on your size / weight. A good glass job is critical when choosing a board, avoid cheap chinese made boards as the glass and overall quality is generally quite bad. Keep a good width and thickness, around 21 - 22" wide x 2 1/2 - 2 3/4" thick will be a good start.

Try and get a package deal, you'll find there are a few shops doing good deals for beginners, us for example we do a Board, Bag and Leash from around £300.00 plus we give a FREE surf lesson on your new board to ensure you are getting on ok.

Hope this has been helpful.
witteringsurfshop

Postby flacky » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:48 am

second hand bic. the 7'3 is great to learn on. and you won't lose too much money on it in a year or so.
flacky

Postby skimmer2 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:55 pm

plenty second hand boards out there which would do you fine if you ask someone you know for a bit of help choosing. I think someone on here who repairs boards all the time said that the glassing on Take Off boards are awful so it won't last long. If you are very keen to buy new and want a solid board that is well made and at a good price then Rob Lion (Royal on here) has a new venture going under Label Surfboards - good prices.

Another route is to email a few board makers or surf schools and see what they might have as ex-demos - you might pick up a bargain.
skimmer2

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:37 pm

AMPhoto wrote:Is the Take Off another bic? Really when it comes time to get your own board, it pays to invest in a nice board from a good shaper. Dont buy a popout board because as you progress you will quickly realize that they just dont cut it, not to mention taking money from honest shapers. Go to the surfshop closest to you and have them help you pick out a board. If you cant afford one brand new, then have them help you find a good used one. Most surf shops will have a selection of used boards. You'll be much better off with a good used board than a new popout.

Yeah, exactly as above. Get yourself really comfortable using a soft top hired from the shop, then go for a second hand mini mal or something with a lot of volume (What size will also depend on your build). One that is hand shaped. As you start catching good clean waves you'll progress quickly and find that a bic or NSP just doesn't ride nicely at all. If you can find a second hand pop out mini mal for say 60 bucks then maybe give it a shot, but I would say buying a brand new one is not as good as buying a good condition 2nd hand shaped board for about the same price. Just keep dropping by your local shop as often as possible and leave them with your number as they tend to sell fast. Next time someone has to sell an unwanted present for their wife or clear out their garage to make room for a nursery you could be cashing in!
Jim Birtwisle

Return to Learn to Surf