Need help regarding board types and conditions !

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Need help regarding board types and conditions !

Postby shann » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:44 pm

So, story is, i've been riding a mal for a while now and intent to do so for a good bit longer and get my bottom and top turn and maybe the odd half decent attempt at a cutback before i even think about hopping on a shortie...But. I have got a really good deal on a shortboard, a 6'2 thruster squash. I don't know the thickness but it felt damn thin, not super thin but not very buoyant if you know what i mean..sweet board nonetheless. Thing is, i wonder what kind of boards ye people out there ride in different conditions ! I know the whole "take off steeper and paddle harder" way of running the show but i am wondering what size and width i should be looking at ? I'm surfing north west coast irish beachies and the occasional reef ...nothing too gnarly, fairly mellow waves so far in fact. Im 173 and weigh in at around 71 kg...strong build if i say so myself...be it a good or bad thing, i don't know... I see that pros, Slater in fact, seems to ride 5'11 or so in small lumps.......what width would it be ? Im thinking a bit thicker so he can keep on top of the wave because
I imagine it has less power....

Sorry for going on a big speel there but to cut the story short......what kind of board should i be looking at ? Might ask the owner of the board to let me take some pics of it and i'll upload them here.

Thanks
Last edited by shann on Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shann

Re: Need help regarding board types and conditions !

Postby philo » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:44 am

i ride a 6'3 x 18 wide in most conditions but I think a 6'3 x 20 would be better for the smaller waves. Dont be afraid of jumping onto a smaller board, im sure people will be quick to jump on the "dont go down to a short board too early" bandwagon. I learnt on a mixture of boards and I still ride my shortboard in the small waves when really i should be on a mal or long board - the fact is that I prefer it this way. With out getting into a longboard vs shortboard argument I would suggest lending a short board for a session in clean small waves to gauge if you feel what's right for you.

If you can, rent or lend a mixture of widths, lengths and see what you feel comfortable with. Someone here will of course be able to add more information on the dimensions and your weight. Personally I think as long as you are not sinking the board when paddling on it then id be quite happy to ride it.
philo

Postby shann » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:06 pm

thanks for the help...just one thing, when i meant width I made a mistake i actually mean thickness...so what thickness should i be lookin at and what is yours ?

Thanks
shann

Postby flacky » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:20 am

2 1/2 inches thick is a good size. not too corky and light enough. You can keep a lot of foam out to the rails and go that little bit shorter.
flacky

Return to Learn to Surf