New Surfer Advice

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

New Surfer Advice

Postby jtg530 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:04 pm

Hi,

Hope to get some 'impartial' advice here.

The problem I have got is that I have two daughters aged 9yrs and 12yrs who want to surf, they have had a lesson and seem very keen.
I am aware that this may only be this years fad and they will not be going in until next spring/summer.
So should I get softboards or bic/nsp?

Thanks in advance for all constructive advice.
jtg530

Re: New Surfer Advice

Postby roberdy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:47 pm

moved to right forum
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Ross90 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:11 pm

i would say its entirely up to you, it could well be a years fad, but bics and NSP's are very easy to shift second hand. Providing that they arent destroyed.

But a foam board may well be better for them if they have a fall or bail and land on the board, or hit one another in a bail or other people, a foam one may go down better than an epoxy one smashing into you lol.

Best of luck.
Ross90

Postby jtg530 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:23 pm

Thanks, I will see how they are. Amazingly they just asked for an i-phone, an i-touch and numerous games etc. Hope those six numbers come up.
jtg530

Postby jtg530 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:35 pm

Thanks for the advice, I hope they take up the sport/hobby and spend less time watching strictly i'm an x idol celebrity get me out of here or playing the ds lite!!
jtg530

Postby Jasedrummer » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:43 pm

I can confirm that NSPs certainly hurt when they hit you.....I had six stiches near my eye to prove it. Was like being run over by a tank....!
apart from that it was easy to learn and catch waves on.....

I quickly changed after to a Roger Cooper 7'6" and its almost half the mass / weight. Its a lot better than the NSP riding thats for sure....

You might be better off trying to find some reasonable condition second hand boards to be honest....just be careful over what condition they are in, but don't get sucked into buying shiny new NSP's / Bics.
if you are going to spend cash on new stuff, make it on the wetsuits instead I reckon.....
Jasedrummer

Postby JoeSchmoe » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:46 am

I was faced with two Christmas lists with surfboards on the top of them as well.

My two are 6 & 9, which made it a bit easier for me, and I went with a couple of soft boards. Knowing what kids are like, there's no way I wanted to shell out for a couple of proper boards until they're at least trimming along a wave.

In my opinion it's not until they're out of the white water that there's a point to buying them a decent board. I figure that once they've reached this stage then they've also proved their commitment to surfing and the board won't sit in the back of the garage gathering dust.

We'll see. I'm looking forward to boxing day.
JoeSchmoe

Postby bignigeo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:48 pm

hi, i had the same dilema with my two sons, i bought them a second hand foamie and told them when they can catcth waves and stand up i would buy them a secondhand custom board each and when they can surf full on i bought them new custom boards. the idea i had was twofold, first i didnt want to spend a lot of money for it to be wasted and also a reward for sticking with it.did it work? i am now 56 and still surfing with both my sons, and my grandson is getting a foamie for xmas. cant wait for the day that three genarations ride the same wave, so go cheap but offer a reward for sticking at it. it worked for me
Last edited by bignigeo on Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bignigeo

Postby KIMBALINOS » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:44 am

foam al the way.....I got a five year old and he's totally hooked on it....I made the mistake of taking him out with a 7'2 mini mal just for him to feel the wave.....first wave great, rode it all the way in....second one he crashed and burned, wouldn't have been so bad, except for the heavy triple stringer flying over him.......gave me a heart attack...luckily it never clonked him...but certanly changed my mind on what board to get him......it's not worth it!! go for the foam cheaper and not so dangerous....
KIMBALINOS

Postby bignigeo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:09 pm

so cmon, tell, what did you buy them :-) :-) :-)
bignigeo

Postby i-can-surf » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:15 pm

go for the foam board. if one of them gets hit with a hard board they may not ever want to go back to surfing especially at that age they could end up holding a grudge for a long time
i-can-surf

Postby jtg530 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:40 pm

Hi,

Sorry I havent updated this but got two Sola softboards one Pink one Lilac both have 'flower patterns'. Havent given them to the girls yet as they seemed to have everything else on the xmas list and would have had to buy winter wetsuits as well.

Mind you both are still asking for them so I may bite the bullet and buy two wetsuits orwait and keep them till it gets warmer.
jtg530

Return to Learn to Surf