winter wetsuits

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

winter wetsuits

Postby northcoast_surfer » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:32 pm

Why is picking a new wetsuit so hard to do. I've been to my local shop twice in a week and every time i change my mind.
I live in northen Ireland and surf the portrush area and its very very cold.. The latest suit ive been looking at is a O'Neill Psycho RG8 5/3 Winter Wetsuit , could any one give me any advice if this is a good suit and if its worth the money or should i go for something else. thanks.
northcoast_surfer

Re: winter wetsuits

Postby roberdy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:12 am

don't be too blinded by branding mate, pick the most comfortable and close fitting suit you can find, make sure it is long enough in arms and legs, is comfy round the neck and arm pits when you rotate your arms and that you don't get a gap in the neck when you squeeze your shoulders together (as you do when you duck dive). Think about if you want an integral hood or not and then go find the suit the fits the bill best and buy it.
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby skimmer2 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:07 am

I have a Psycho 2 5/3 wetsuit (not chest zip) and I use it for warmer months...(I'm on Scotland). It doesn't cut it as a winter wetsuit in my opinion...the neoprene is way too thin. Shame as the suit itself is well made. I use Xcel wetsuits now as they are top notch for warmth and fit me well. If you want something a bit cheaper but good then I think Alder now do a 6/5/4 hooded and that will gt you through all winter conditions....I've never used Alder but others say they are warm. Snugg and C-Skins seems to get good reviews. But fit is everything.
skimmer2

Postby northcoast_surfer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:07 pm

Thanks for the advice, i have a better idea what im sort of after now so i hope i get sorted soon so i can get back into the water. cheers for the help. :)
northcoast_surfer

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:25 pm

Troggs :wink:
ATTMFKH

Postby northcoast_surfer » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:31 pm

oh yeah troggs wouldn't go anywhere else, they always sort you out and are such friendly staff. Really good shop so it is.
northcoast_surfer

Postby Nemesis » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:58 pm

I tried the O'neill 5/3 RG8 on last week. It's a very well made suit but didn't feel as thick as other 5/3's in the shop so i assume not as warm. Was like a second skin once on though, i can't imagine much water getting in to it. Nightmare to get off though with just the one open shoulder!

Ended up going for the C-Skins Wired Airloc instead, the 5mm neo actually felt 5mm and from past experience i know how good the C-skins are.
The after-sales is also fantastic, I tore a hole in my 3/2 (my own fault!) and c-skins repaired it FOC straight away, no hassle at all.
Nemesis

Postby skasteppa » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:11 pm

Thoroughly recommend the new pyschofreak hooded,much more flexible in the water than I thought it'd be,zero flushing,dried quick and looks great,love it.Absolute nightmare to get out of but who care when it keeps you in the water longer.
If in doubt always try them on in the shop.
Recommend Secret Spot for advice and mailorder by the way,great staff.
skasteppa

Postby skasteppa » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:52 pm

And these boots are awesome, was worried about the size as i couldnt get to the shop for these, im an 11.5 in shoe which is a nightmare and wasnt sure whether to get 10 for a tight fit or an 11- in the end i got sent a 12 and they fit perfectly, split toe gave me plenty of control and they felt nice and warm. After one surf they stink like a skunk though!
http://www.secretspot.co.uk/catalogue/1/product4683
skasteppa

Postby northcoast_surfer » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:05 pm

i went with the O'neill rg8 it felt so good when it was on in the shop and the movement in it is incredible. tho it ain't as think as the other suits which has me worried a little. Its not the best suit for getting in and out of but that can be a good thing, meaning can keep you in the water for longer but with a bit of pratice its gets easier. I don't have that verison of the XCEL split toe but i do have the older version and i can say that they are unreal and keep your feet so warm for so long i don't think i would change them . Just need some swell here now so i can get out in the water...
northcoast_surfer

Postby slideguy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:36 pm

Is there any advice out there for the prefered methods used on front zip wetsuits? Should I get a front zip wetsuit that is open both sides or one that is sealed off one side like the Xcel? Whats best and why?
slideguy

Postby flacky » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:45 am

sealed on one side just means less chance of flushing. Definitely a good idea, unless like me you are in such a rush to get in the water that you forget to zip the sucker up regardless and take a suit full of icy water down there. FUN!
flacky

Postby flacky » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:46 am

Hang on, 50 squid for boots??? When did boots stop being £25 quid?
flacky

Postby skasteppa » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:38 pm

haha since we got fed up of shitty bin bag booties from rental shops and frostbitten big toes :lol:
saved up for ages so wanted the business, paid off too cos i was roasting in llangennith in December.

Front zips only from now on for me, really noticed the difference and can put up with the nightmare of getting them on and off for the added flex when paddling. Ive noticed zero flushing in my front zip so id recommend one mate
skasteppa

Postby flacky » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:20 pm

balls man. my first O'neill psycho boots cost me 25 quid and were plenty warm enough in the east coast and lasted 3 years. Dunno if it's just me but I've noticed that since the prices hiked the quality's dropped.

Lucky to get 2 years out of a pair of boots now.
flacky

Postby skasteppa » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:28 pm

warm balls,and fingers and toes man.
qualities great on those boots, price is high but like i said i worked hard, saved hard and wanted my own good kit after renting for so long.they are expensive but everything i heard about them before buying is true, longevity and warmth are top notch and we all know excel are shit hot. prices most likely have gone through the roof, what hasnt in this climate but no complaints about the quality of these boots.
skasteppa

Postby flacky » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:55 pm

my mate karl got some off his inlaws for xmas and claimed his feet were cold in them last week in wales.

wonder if that would warranty a return? How would you prove a fault?
flacky

Postby flacky » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:55 pm

my mate karl got some new xcel boots off his inlaws for xmas and claimed his feet were cold in them last week in wales.

wonder if that would warrant a return? How would you prove a fault?

I love xcel suits, but never liked the boots. just a fit thing.
flacky

Postby skasteppa » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:25 pm

hmm strange that..which ones did he get? could be a bad sizing if they were a gift, did he say they were letting water in making him cold or that the boots just didnt feel warm enough? im guessing he knew to put the boots under his suit?
im not too clued up on warrantee issues when theres no obvious fault, has he tried contacting the shop?
skasteppa

Postby flacky » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:39 pm

He's got the infiniti split toes. Pretty sure his last pair were Xcel too.

I just thought he was being a wuss. But just said his feet were cold. It was a tad frosty, but not bad. I've got O'Neill Mutant boots. 2 years old now, Love em. Can't say I even noticed the cold. My fingers were a bit nippy when I paddled out but I only wear 1.5mm gloves, after 20 mins no problem.

We were only in mid wales too, so fuck knows what'll happen on the east!
flacky

Postby skasteppa » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:24 am

Strange that ay,does he normally feel the cold then,might be different peoples tolerances,mine have been toasty and really comfy-wasn't keen on a round toe and heard of the foot slipping so chuffed with the split toe.
Those mutants sound ace,nearly bought them myself before the excels.man all this talk of kit makes me desperate to use it.sucks being a midlander!
skasteppa

Postby flacky » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:45 am

sho nuff. last surf i had knocked me off my arse and have had pneumonia for last week.

feels like my lungs are full of salt.

fuck this cold water, NEW ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEaland
flacky

Postby skasteppa » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:58 pm

yeah wank innit, froze my ass off today at work and daydreamt of hitting the beach. Get better soon mate, night nurse, pizza and shit loads of whisky does the trick :-)
skasteppa

Return to Learn to Surf