Going from a 9'6 to a 7'10 questions..

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Going from a 9'6 to a 7'10 questions..

Postby mako25 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:44 pm

I have gotten pretty good on my long-board with single fin so now I am thinking of going to a 7'10". I would just like to try to do a bit more this spring and figured going to a smaller board would do the trick . So going from a 9'6" to a 7"10" will it be like learning all over again just trying to catch a wave?...My other option is adding the two side fins to my long-board, will this alone give me enough flexibility?
mako25

Re: Going from a 9'6 to a 7'10 questions..

Postby skimmer2 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:52 pm

IMHO adding the two sidebite fins ain't going to give you the different feel that I think you are after. A 7ft 10 will. If you have got good on the longboard then a 7ft 10 will feel very different but I doubt you will struggle with it as much as you think. Why don't you try renting a board around the 8ft size first and see what you think? You'll get plenty off ebay if you decide to buy.
skimmer2

Postby bombie » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:49 pm

Depending on what your objective is you may want to try a shorter board than a 7'10. A 7'10" is still fucking huge and will surf more like a mal than a shortboard - and, unless you've to supernatural powers, you won't be able to duckdive it. You won't need to relearn how to surf by going to a shorter board - you may blow the first few waves and get a bit frustrated initially but you'll figure it out fairly quickly. I'd have a go on something like a 6'5" (for at least 2 days): see how it feels and then decide whether you want more or less volume. What you may need to do, if you aren't doing so already, is take off a bit closer to the peak with the board angled along the face (rather than perpendicular to the wave, as is possilble from further out with the greater speed that a 9'6" permits).

For the removal of doubt - I'm not attempting to suggest that longboard style surfing is bad but that if you are going to have a second board you may as well get a craft that surfs differently and allows you to surf different waves or gives you a different experience to the 9'6". eg. you can sometimes have a lot of fun in a crunching shorebreak on a shortboard but would get eaten for breakfast on a mal in the same waves.
bombie

Postby skimmer2 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:15 pm

bombie wrote:Depending on what your objective is you may want to try a shorter board than a 7'10. A 7'10" is still fucking huge and will surf more like a mal than a shortboard - and, unless you've to supernatural powers, you won't be able to duckdive it. You won't need to relearn how to surf by going to a shorter board - you may blow the first few waves and get a bit frustrated initially but you'll figure it out fairly quickly. I'd have a go on something like a 6'5" (for at least 2 days): see how it feels and then decide whether you want more or less volume. What you may need to do, if you aren't doing so already, is take off a bit closer to the peak with the board angled along the face (rather than perpendicular to the wave, as is possilble from further out with the greater speed that a 9'6" permits).

For the removal of doubt - I'm not attempting to suggest that longboard style surfing is bad but that if you are going to have a second board you may as well get a craft that surfs differently and allows you to surf different waves or gives you a different experience to the 9'6". eg. you can sometimes have a lot of fun in a crunching shorebreak on a shortboard but would get eaten for breakfast on a mal in the same waves.

a 9ft 6 to a 6ft 5 .........reckon he may flail around for a long time....I would go midway first and try that...if you are fine go smaller IF you want to. We are talking a reduction of 3ft in one go which is a big step for most mortals.
skimmer2

Postby Finster » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:49 pm

I hear what bombie is saying, in that buying a 7'10" board is still going to feel like riding a longer board. If you are going to spend the money on a new surfboard, maybe go down a little more in size. Like a mini mal around 7'2" to 7'6".
A smaller mini mal (funboard) is going to be less of a leap than dropping down to a shortboard at 6 1/2 feet.
Finster

Postby mako25 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:11 pm

Thanks for all the feed back, I think I am going to rent a 7'6" and give it a try..
mako25

Postby skimmer2 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:19 pm

mako25 wrote:Thanks for all the feed back, I think I am going to rent a 7'6" and give it a try..

good call
skimmer2

Postby Finster » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:07 pm

That's a good decision. I think you will be surprised at how much easier a 7 to 7 1/2 foot surfboard is to turn and position as the wave is approaching. It's also going to be easier to get through the whitewater, less board to have to handle.
Finster

Return to Learn to Surf