Freezing Irish waters!

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Freezing Irish waters!

Postby rebecca2 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:11 pm

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a winter wetsuit. I surf in the west coast of Ireland. Went surfing in Sligo about two days ago and was absolutely frizzled! The wesuit I have at the moment isn't great...a bit loose to be honest! I think that if I had a warmer wetsuit that I'd stay in the water longer. And with the weather we just had here in Ireland I think it'd be a wise investement to buy a good wetsuit! So, anybody reccommend any? ( a women's wetsuit that is!) I don't know too much about wetsuits so I'd appreciate the advice and opinions....:D

Rebecca.
rebecca2

Re: Freezing Irish waters!

Postby Bran Dog » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:44 pm

a photo to guage your fit would be a help
Bran Dog

Postby Poo Stance » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:19 pm

Ay. You have two options here I'd say.

1) Do a search through the wetsuits threads and get an idea of what makes a wetsuit good for you and which brands are good.
2) Post a picture up and some kind/perverted soul (me) will talk you through it.

For ease, I'd choose option 2. It's what I did when I 1st started posting and it made me lots of friends :wink:

How's you going with the board dilemma aslo Beck2?
Poo Stance

Postby jiggie » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:54 pm

Hay Bec's

Best thing i can say about the wet suit , Just go and try a load on and go for the best fit not just the name .and if its just for the winter go for at least a 5/4 ..Also make sure you have a good pair of boots and gloves because if not you will still freeze your Bits off . :-D
jiggie

Postby i-can-surf » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:07 pm

the o'neill mutant 5/4 wet suit is great for our irish conditions all year round because of it's optional hood. you can use the hood during the winter and then when the weather gets warmer just zip it off. it's also great value. here's a link http://troggs.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15669
i-can-surf

Postby rebecca2 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:01 pm

Hmm...is there a female version of that O'Neill Mutant 5/4...? Prices up in Troggs in N. Ireland are great value! I presume a 6/5/4 is the thicker than the 5/4, yea?.....:)
rebecca2

Postby dhand62362 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:26 pm

rebecca2 wrote:Hmm...is there a female version of that O'Neill Mutant 5/4...? Prices up in Troggs in N. Ireland are great value! I presume a 6/5/4 is the thicker than the 5/4, yea?.....:)

yep female version of the mutant:-
http://www.wetsuitcentre.co.uk/products.asp?pid=1327
dhand62362

Postby rebecca2 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:22 am

So...you wreckin the D-Lux is a good choice....will it keep me warm?...that's the main thing! Anybody have any opinions on the D-Lux? Or does anybody reccommend any other ones?....:D
rebecca2

Postby Bran Dog » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:20 pm

I reckon you just go for 1 you fancy.everyone has their own favourite/preference.I bought a billabong foil 5/4/3 last summer for 150 urines and it's done me fine all winter so far.I just have a rashy underneath.I'm surfin the west coast too and i've found my core heat is fine but as for my hands that's a different story,after two hours plus i'm claw handed and that's with 2mm gloves.Photo?? :-D
Bran Dog

Postby Apta » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:44 pm

It depends in how much money you fancy investing. I went in and started trying on new suits for the winter, when the guy suggested I try on the xcel infiniti suit. I was a bit weary about it as it was £250 but my god was it the best investment I ever made. I got the same boots as the suit a few weeks later and its scary how much warmer it is than my old suit. Would definately recommend if you have the dollar to invest.
Apta

Postby dhand62362 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:07 pm

I have the mutant which is the same as the female version and I am toasty, no need for a rash vest and it has front and back firewalls. For warmth the general opinion seems to be Snugg, oneil, xcel, cskins..

I would always go for a hooded suit for winter which narrows the choice down, best fit for your body means more warmth.. Try them on and see.
dhand62362

Postby slappywagish » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:42 pm

Buying on line is fine but if you're not sure of your size (depending on the brand) you're way better off just going to a surf shop and getting it there. alot of the winter suits will be going on sale about now but my advise would be to just go to a shop and ask em there. the best thing you can do is make sure it fits nice and snug. if it's loose its pretty much not going to work. thermal rash vests help quite a bit. and pick up a hood
slappywagish

Postby insideout » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:55 pm

Well if you're unsure about your sizing to save a lot of time and effort i'd suggest not buying online and perhaps going to a well stocked surf shop and trying out as many suits as you can to see which gives the best fit.

Failing that you always have the option of getting a custom wetsuit, there is several places i know off the top of my head that do them:

http://www.snuggwetsuits.co.uk - based in Newquay, Cornwall.

also

No limits wetsuits made by Greg Owen in Porthcawl - He has a very big following and makes quality products.

57 Fenton Place
Porthcawl
Mid Glamorgan
CF36 3DW
Telephone: 01656 772 202
Fax: 01656 772 202
Web: http://www.nolimitwetsuits.com
insideout

Postby dhand62362 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:40 pm

I have a nice hooded winter suit from Greg @ nolimits and my custom suit is uber warm and mega comfy and he is cheaper than Snugg. You can choose your own colours and make a one off design, give him a whirl !
dhand62362

Postby originbreaks » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:16 pm

My O'neil Mutant with attachable hood is awesome. With the firewall on that baby its plenty even for Irish waters in the winter.
originbreaks

Postby Wilson987 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:33 pm

Hi all!

First post, ex-bodyboarder new to surfing. Been surfing the Irish North coast since Feb this year, was sick of renting tired old suits and freezing my nuts off so decided to buy a wetty and being on a tight budget I was advised by the guys in Troggs that the C-skins Legend 5/3 was the best for the money. Good 6mm boots and C-skins Legend hood gives me as much time in the water as my arms can take, usually 3-4 hours. The batwing and firecore combo is great at keeping your core warm so it gets a big thumbs up from me.

:wink:
Wilson987

Return to Learn to Surf