surf near london?

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

surf near london?

Postby muppet » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:30 pm

Hi all,

am completely new to the forum and almost completely new to surfing..have done one lesson on holiday in lanzarote on famara beach and been about 3 times in uk on my own since.

Newgale in south wales

Joss bay in kent

mostly during sept-nov not more than 4ft waves. Have managed to ride one on my knees, not got any further than this yet.

Got hit in the head by my board first time got in, so always keep my hands over my head if go under now.

Got a mini mal board (I think) free from a friend, no idea if it's suitable or not, pic attached for comments, pretty heavy not sure what it's made of.

wetsuit is a 3mm with 5mm patches on chest and back. I also use it for warm water scuba diving.

I have a few (a lot) of questions about surfing for anyone who has the time or patience to answer them:

a) where is the best place to go for surfing near london?
b) where/how is the best way to learn?
c)how fit do you have to be? (any quick fitness tests one can try?)

I would like to do a week's surfing course somewhere in the summer but want to avoid the crowds and getting in people's way. Have heard newquay is best breaks but awful crowded most the time?

How much should I look to pay for a week worth of lessons?

How dangerous is it to surf on your own? How can one REALLY learn about the sea, the wind how it all affects the conditions?

Learning to surf is one my 'bucket list' tasks so am gonna try go for it this summer, any help ppl can give would be most welcome! :D

Muppet
Attachments
my board.JPG
my board.JPG (206.24 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
muppet

Re: surf near london?

Postby roberdy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:43 pm

dude, please re-size your picture it is ree-diculosly large!
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:11 am

That's some 1st post Muppet - have a wee read through the site - try the search function.

London surf club lot under Ride Share - might hook you into some waves.
ATTMFKH

Postby barsky » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:46 pm

For most normal people, learning to surf is long journey, requiring hours and hours of practice. Given your situation, I would definitely recommend getting lessons - ideally this would be a course of lessons over several days. Obviously this may work out quite expensive, but unless you live near to a consistent surf spot I can't see any other option. A good surf instructor will assess your ability and be able to recommned the best sort of board for you.

I don't know anything about surf spots near London so I can't help you there.

In terms of fitness, if you want to get beyond standing in the white water, then you need a pretty good level of fitness. You need good upper body strength for paddling and popping up, good aerobic fitness, and you need to be supple and flexible for popping up. At first you will be using muscles you never knew you had. As a very minimum level the sort of fitness required would be: you should be able to do ten press ups straight off, run for half an hour, swim 10 lengths easily without stopping, when standing, bend over and touch your toes with straight legs. As you progress, you will become much fitter than this.

Learning to surf is hard, but probably the most rewarding thing I have ever done. So get at it.
barsky

Postby muppet » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi thanks for the quick replies guys, I did try the search but it wasn't working for some reason kept crashing my browser, sorry for repeatitive questions.
seems ok now, I did look through the forum a bit manually but mostly seemed to be topics over my head.

Thanks for the tip about the ride share, that could be useful..I was not too far from manobier beach for a few years whilst studying..kicking myself for not taking more advantage!! (though didnt have car and most of dicks in my town would never go to a beach to surf so no poss of ride share)

I think my fitness level is about half what you recommended barsky (Can touch toes and do 5 pressups, swim the lengths but would die on the run if all in one go) so maybe lil baby breaks and work up to the big stuff. Yeh i would love to be able to ride the further waves but I'll settle for standing in the white water first!

I think lessons are the way to go for now, I wouldn't want to get too much in others way if going in a group at mo.

so, anyone got any instructors they can recommend or surf schools? Was looking at this place for a week and £135 don't seem too bad for a week?

I resized my pic, sorry thought it would be small enough as was already on low qual setting.

Cheers all!
Attachments
my board.JPG
my board.JPG (37.12 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
muppet

Return to Learn to Surf