leading foot?

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

leading foot?

Postby cyberpedz » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:06 pm

I know a lot say get someone to push you from behind and see what foot you step forward on etc. But even though my right foot is my stronger I still don't feel comfortable ether way. I had the same problem years back when trying skate boarding.
I am not actually standing for very long at all at the mo but want to figure this now rather than later. Anyone else have this problem?
cyberpedz

Re: leading foot?

Postby thomas_rj » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:47 am

Don't worry, be happy. You are free to put either foot in front, and since you don't feel like you have a definitive favourite it is quite likely you can do both. Some people will feel that wrong way is completely awkward for them, but others may feel it doesnt make a lot of difference. If you look to snowboarding, you can see that riding fakie (back end of board pointing forward) is a very common thing to do. Snowboards are quite symmetrical around the middle, there are no fins on one end. Riding fakie is effectively switching the lead foot. I do not find this impossible. It is a brain thing, and it is possible to learn, but it is obvious that some people do this naturally, while others struggle to do the switch.

You may be the lucky one out here, just get up on the board and go whichever way you want. I have been playing around with switching on my longboard, as in starting left foot forward and then do a little dance to turn my body other way round. Results> quite a few holes in the water, but I managed... once :D

If you want more tips on how to find which is better to put forward, mine (left) is the one I stand on when I shoot penalties in soccer. In soccer there are some people that shoot almost equally well with both feet, but that is not me....
thomas_rj

Postby Poo Stance » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:13 am

thomas_rj wrote:when I shoot penalties in soccer.

It's 'football' round these parts laddie. If you want to ingratiate yourself to the natives try learning some of the local lingo :wink:

Pray continue...
Poo Stance

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:17 am

Yep - me too - can crack one off with either hand ............. top tip , sit on your hand for 10 mins before you start , it goes numb , then it feels as though someone else is doing it for you 8) :-D
ATTMFKH

Postby thomas_rj » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:51 pm

Poo Stance wrote:
thomas_rj wrote:when I shoot penalties in soccer.

It's 'football' round these parts laddie. If you want to ingratiate yourself to the natives try learning some of the local lingo :wink:

Pray continue...

O jogo se chama futebol, eu concordo, mais estou na America falando ingles. Estou me approximando mais ao stilo norte-americano do que ingles. Ate morava la nos EUA, isso pode causar danos inconcertaveis na idioma! :lol:

Vamos ganhar Fogão! :twisted:

Secret encoded message above a last attempt to prove my ability to adjust local conditions....I am almost getting used to SPF50 and long-armed lycra shirts as well, tough, but someones got to do it 8)
thomas_rj

Postby dhand62362 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:35 pm

cyberpedz,

I tried the following:-

-slide on the floor and see which foot you put forward, end result my right forward goes forward
- get somone to push you forward, end result my right forward goes forward
- just walk up to your board and see which side you walk to, result being happy to walk to the left hand side.

So I actually surf regular although I should be goofy according to the tests. I have tried popping up goofy (right foot as lead), but it seems wrong. Also saw a video where the guy said your best foot needs to be at the back over the fins just like I surf.

Try the above and see what seems more natural.
dhand62362

Postby Gromsaresostokedlike » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:40 pm

Whatever seems the most comfortable's always good :)
Gromsaresostokedlike

Postby petew » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:29 pm

im an example of under every way of 'determining' which foot i am i go against lol. all the different techniques point me to being left foot leading but i surf/skate/snowboard goofy
petew

Postby bombie » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:10 pm

But if you turn out to be a goofy footer then keep it to yourself, many councils impose a tax for riding the wrong way. The green men will get you when you have the wetsuit down around your ankles, this makes escape impossible.
bombie

Postby luisspellcast » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:07 pm

(i wonder if a couple of months makes this a necro-post)

most likely you will feel comfortable surfing either regular or goofy-- so just keep practicing using both and you'll find great advantages when having to surf to either side of the wave

in my case, i'm surfing regular but i'm a bit ambidextrous: i write with my right hand, but deal cards with my left hand (or use the knife on the left hand), i kick a ball with my right foot but when playing drums i use the left on the bass-drum (but my arms play left-snare/right-hihat); skateboard is even weirder: i am comfortable with either foot ahead (although surfing i can only go regular) but when i thrust i can only do it with my left foot (and my right foot sits on the back of the board)
luisspellcast

Return to Learn to Surf