Help with new board!!!

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Help with new board!!!

Postby fishpants007 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:47 pm

Hi my name is james and i am looking for any information or help pleople can advise me on now i am thinking of buying a new custom surfboard.
i have been surfing a good year or so now and have been riding a 7'6" take off mini mal board. i am riding this fine and getting up on most waves and controlling the board ok. i want to buy a 2nd board and go down the route of short board styles.
i have been looking into this and have spoken to shapers and friends with regards to this and i am getting mixed reviews from what friends and shapers are saying so i am looking for anyone else who can input.
i have been looking into getting a board made by cre8tion surfboards (bude) and have spoken with the shaper and he has advised me that the perfect step down for me would be a 6' 8" x 21" x 2 3/8" fish board with a 5 fin set up so can be used as a tri fin or a quad. friends however say that a drop from 7'6" to a 6'8" is to fast to soon and that this wouldn't be advisable!
i mainly surf at woolacombe area but as i live in bristol dont get down there as much as i would like. alot more in the summer than in the winter!
i am 5'10" and weigh around 12 1/2 stone!
please can anyone advise me on a suitable step down board in their opinion or any advise would be great.

Thanks for reading and hope someone is willing to help a surfer in need!

James
fishpants007

Re: Help with new board!!!

Postby skimmer2 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:38 pm

Simply try out a board that size and see how you get on with it. You will soon find out if it is a drop too big. Many folk reckon a fish is a good next board for someone that has just got to grips with the very basics - I disagree - they may have volume but they are a bleedin handful unless you have a bit of experience under your belt. Unless you a re a fit young gun you may struggle...a 7ft egg shaped board might do you nicely.

There's so many variables so I would still try to get hold of a board around the size you are thinking about then see how you get on.....save you a bit of frustration if you go too small too soon.
skimmer2

Postby fishpants007 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:31 am

Thanks for the reply and never thought about an egg shape as really wanna step into shortboard style!
Maybe a good idea to again try one of those out as well and see what I prefer! I forgot to mention though that I will be keeping my mal as well for times when I do get frustrated so I can always fall back onto what I know!
Anyone with anymore input I would also love to hear other opinions or experiences of people who were in the same position!

James
fishpants007

Postby brynn3006 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:10 pm

Just a quick warning. I've just done exactly what you're saying you want to do. I weigh pretty much the same as you and am the same height. I've been riding an 8ft Mal for just over a year and am about the same level as you. I tried to move onto a wide 6'8" fish after the summer and it was too soon. I enjoyed it but found it a bit twitchy. I moved up to a 7'2" super fish to try to get over this but to be honest, I didn't enjoy the surfing as I was having to concentrate too much and not enjoying the ride. What I'm warning you about is not the boards though, it's that changing between boards isn't as easy as I thought. I takes me about 5 surfs to dial in to a board so I was getting back on my Mal and finding I was pretty much back to complete novice stage for a surf. It was really frustrating. Personally, I would suggest sticking with the Mal until you can turn it well and then moving on to an egg or preparing yourself for a slower learning curve. Either is fine but I'm only happy now after going back to the Mal after 4 months of hating every surf session. Try a few boards before you buy and make sure you give them a good try, not just a 1/2 hour. See what feels good. good luck and I hope you find something you like.
brynn3006

Postby KIMBALINOS » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:27 am

it depends on how often you go surfing fella...if your out 3 times a week then give it a go.....it's all in the volume aswell the board your looking at should be easy to progress on....just have fun....most importantly enjoy your wipeout...everything else is a bonus. dont stress too much about boards buy second hand and chop and change....and to be honest you need to have a load of sessions on a board cause they work soo differently in varian conditions....happy surfing :-)
KIMBALINOS

Postby wathout » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:19 pm

I had a cre8tion board, the quality is not great. General color fading and partial yellowing in places, finish feels slightly porous in places, i think the guy does it out of his garage, or rushed it. did contact him a few times about it but always got fobbed off, nevermind sold on ebay.
wathout

Return to Learn to Surf