what's the key to riding a shorter board

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

what's the key to riding a shorter board

Postby swoop720 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:35 pm

Hi at what point should you paddle? - is it before the wave lifts your back end or during? I seem to be wasting a lot of energy paddling when i see a wave coming am i paddling too soon only to loose the paddle power when it really counts?
swoop720

Re: what's the key to riding a shorter board

Postby flacky » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:07 pm

Start paddling when you can see the wave stating to take shape, nice smooth slow strokes then as it nears speed it up. Finally as you feel it take the back of your board push your chest forward and paddle like a bastard with big deep strokes and bingo.
flacky

Postby philo » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:15 pm

sometimes takes 1 paddle, sometimes takes 10. its about positioning in the water AND on the wave. I've had a lot more of the 1 paddle drops lately as I lean forward and take the steep drop in. Different styles for different players - I know some people who are like Michael phelps and steam roll a 100m paddle in with ease.
philo

Postby swoop720 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:36 pm

nice one thanks
swoop720

Postby skimmer2 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:44 pm

Yeah - going on what Philo says....I see many good surfers just wait for the wave to take them and only need a couple of strokes. They just know when to take the wave and where to wait for it....buggers! They just take the drop and pop up right at the last moment.
skimmer2

Postby swoop720 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:10 pm

awesome!
I put it to the test today, saw a wave, paddled slowly, then as my back end went up i gave it 3 or 4 good paddles and i was off nearly every time. Cant believe how much easier it is, caught more waves today than in the last 3 months on my new board, in the past ive been padling like the clappers then when the wave comes im burnt out. nice 1 fellas!
swoop720

Postby Jasedrummer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:46 pm

Hi All, some good advice here....I have another question thats related...how do you know when its time to pop up? Will the wave propel you forward for a while if you have paddled hard enough, giving you time, or do you need to pop up and drop down the wave when the back end of the board rises? i've tried this but tend to nose dive too often.....
Jasedrummer

Postby flacky » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:52 pm

You're probably leaning too far forward. If the waves breaking left to right (from behind you) look along the wave into the open face to your right. You should feel the pulse below your board under your chest. 1 big paddle and go. Lean forward into the wave rather than over your front foot.

Hesitation soon goes. You're gonna fall off anyway, so just go for it.
flacky

Postby Poo Stance » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:05 pm

Stand up too early and the wave will pass under you without you on it. Stand up too late and you will fly to the bottom of the wave and have lost all speed by the time you stand up. Your pop needs to be smooth and fast. I find surfing a longer board has a detrimental effect on my pop up speed.

As said, if you angle your take off by looking along the wave during your last few strokes or as you pop up then you can buy yourself a bit more time. The earlier you catch the wave the more time you get to stand up. The faster the wave the less time you get.

Get your pop up sorted on land so you don't need to learn it while also trying to learn timing and paddling at the same time. And just have confidence you will nail it in the water. Don't look at ur feet!
Poo Stance

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:47 pm

Poo Stance wrote:. Don't look at ur feet!

but they're beautiful
ATTMFKH

Return to Learn to Surf