I know the technique but cannot manage it (popup)

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

I know the technique but cannot manage it (popup)

Postby wjp1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:52 am

I know this has been covered on here before. I've watch these 2 videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibI53NjCyBo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pti202SiePs

If I used my foot I can do it. But it just seems a physical impossibility for me when just using my knees. I'm 39 so perhaps I'm a bit over the hill!

Any tips on how I can train to get this technique working (at home on the carpet)?

cheers
wjp1

Re: I know the technique but cannot manage it (popup)

Postby KIMBALINOS » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:20 pm

just keep at it!!! it will come....practice at home and in the white water as much as you can.........then on small clean days to get your confidence up.....avoid using kness as much as possible(you'll get into all sorts of problems when the waves get steeper doing that!)practice practice and then some more.....most of all just enjoy it!!!you'll get days when you nail it and then days where it just wont happen!!!! dont stress about it, just be stoked that you got wet!!!!!
KIMBALINOS

Postby wjp1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:58 pm

I just have the impression my body won't do that !! :shock:
Its like I've never really been able to touch my toes properly - I have the same feeling when trying to do the above technique. I'll keep at of course, but I just spend most of my time stubbing my toe on the carpet and rolling about on the floor
wjp1

Postby Chris F » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:53 pm

wjp1 wrote:II'm 39 so perhaps I'm a bit over the hill!

Any tips on how I can train to get this technique working (at home on the carpet)?

You might know the technique but your body doesn't. Get the engram wired so it becomes instinctive.

Bollocks are you over the hill. How good a physical shape are you? If you are out of shape do pushups, burpees, situps, popup drills at home. make a crucifix on the floor with masking tape. Lie down with your hands on the short piece, and practice going straight to standing with both feet on the long piece. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

If you are overweight lose weight. stick with it.
Chris F

Postby wjp1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:22 pm

Chris F wrote:
wjp1 wrote:II'm 39 so perhaps I'm a bit over the hill!

You might know the technique but your body doesn't. Get the engram wired so it becomes instinctive.

Bollocks are you over the hill. How good a physical shape are you? If you are out of shape do pushups, burpees, situps, popup drills at home. make a crucifix on the floor with masking tape. Lie down with your hands on the short piece, and practice going straight to standing with both feet on the long piece. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

If you are overweight lose weight. stick with it.

I'm in fairly good shape (just about recovered from a broken leg (motocrossing)) - but I could defo be better. Thanks for the tips - I'll give then a go for a few weeks and see how I get on .

wjp1

Postby Jasedrummer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:48 pm

Don't give up...it took me a while to get this nailed but I did after loads of practice and I'm not that young either!

I got loads of helpful tips from this site before - the best one was get your hands down by your bottom rib. If you don't do this you don't get enough leverage.

even when you get this at home on the carpet, it might take a while to get it in the white water afterwards. Once you get pushed by the whitewater, wait a little while until the board stabilises a bit until you try and pop up.
Jasedrummer

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:57 pm

As above, just keep practicing. Get your head low and forward and as soon as you know the board is planing, put in a couple more strokes in the direction you want to be going and turn you head that way. Avoid bringing your knees into contact with the board at all cost.
Perhaps do some press ups along with trying the pop up at home. Do this on a rug or carpet with a pattern whereby you can aim to get your feet in the same place each time.
Jim Birtwisle

Postby wjp1 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:45 am

thanks everyone. :)

I've been practising each day and I'm getting closer and closer. I want to avoid using my feet even though I'm on a long board, as I want to get the right technique to when/if I move to a shorter board I don't need to relearn.
Stubbing my toe a bit at the moment, but getting closer and closer - I'll just keep at it and then practice in the water when I can.

Do you suggest just practising this in the white water, or is it better to practise on unbroken waves?
wjp1

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:31 am

It really depends on your level of surfing. Have you started riding clean waves yet and what exactly do you mean by "using your feet"? If you can stand in the white water but your getting up slowly then by all means try and nail the pop up in the white water. You can learn to get to your feet quickly, however the feel of the wave will be very different to that of a clean wave. Once you can get up in one fast motion in the white water go straight out and try and get clean waves. You will know when you're ready for this because you will be popping up smoothly in the white water but have nowhere to go and loose speed very quickly as you head in a straight line to the beach.
In the meantime just keep drilling it on land then you wont even have to think about what your doing with your body in the water. That second or so that you save in moving instincitvely will make all the difference when you start paddling for clean waves.
Jim Birtwisle

Postby Chris F » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:21 am

I would say mix it up. On big days when it's a struggle to get out back, and waves break steeper and faster, stick to whitewater and work on smooth popups and try getting the board to move sidways in the whitewater. On smaller days try getting on unbroken waves so you can get a feel for what you should be doing.
Chris F

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:18 pm

Agree with the above, I would only go out the back after clean waves when you know and feel confident you can manage it. Not sure what your local break is like but I remember when I was learning in the white water at mine, on big days you used to get very small clean waves inside the break. Look out for areas in inside the main break where broken waves ride up on top of smaller waves closer to the beach sometimes this will open up a clean, but very small unbroken face. Try paddling for these as it will give you a general feel for what a board will feel like when it starts planing and it will also hold a bit more power than a larger wall of white water.
Jim Birtwisle

Postby Chris F » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:35 pm

You can sometimes get waves reforming as well, found them good to practice on.
Chris F

Postby wjp1 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:54 pm

Jim Birtwisle wrote:Not sure what your local break is like ......

I don't have one :( unfortunately at the moment. Plan to move this year to somewhere where I can have one. So at the moment, its holidays and long weekends only.

Thanks everyone for the tips - I've already start to 'land' some clean popups at home on the carpet. Hopefully if my ankle holds up I'll zip across to Hossigor next week for 5 days cheeky surf while the mrs is away on business. Will let you know how I get on if you're interested.

thanks everyone!
wjp1

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:11 pm

awwwww Group Hugs :-) :-) :-) can be a lovely place MagicSeaweed 8) :lol:
ATTMFKH

Postby Chris F » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:40 pm

Fuck off you dozy twat. You can ram your group hug up your substantial arse.
Chris F

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:29 pm

Chris F wrote:Fuck off you dozy twat. You can ram your group hug up your substantial arse.

define substantial
ATTMFKH

Postby Chris F » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:11 pm

Fat, enormous, and based on recent experience, capacious.
Chris F

Postby roberdy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:50 am

Chris F wrote:Fat, enormous, and based on recent experience, capacious.

Succinct and probably close to true!
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Return to Learn to Surf