Rash and swelling!!?!?!

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Rash and swelling!!?!?!

Postby Stu blu » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:29 am

Every time i go out, i devellop swelling on the left side of my stomach( about level with my lowest rib) redness/ rash and pain in the area.

Im guessing its just from rubbing on the board/suit when paddling. is this common? any one elase suffer this? any ideas to stop/ reduce it?

Thanks!!!!

Stu
Stu blu

Re: Rash and swelling!!?!?!

Postby roberdy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:38 am

yep, common complaint until you build up some core strength. It's exactly as you say, from rubbing/pressure on your ribs. Weird that you only report it on one side though, I normally get it on both sides but only if I haven't surfed for at least two months.

More practise and do some core exercise to strengthen up, this will help you hold your posture better on the board.
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Stu blu » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:19 am

Thanks, at least i know im not a freak now!

Ideas for improving core strength other than getting out there?

already do a fair bit of swimming, running, sit ups, gym etc.
Stu blu

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:22 pm

i had both my lower ribs removed. ....... helps me with other stuff :wink:
ATTMFKH

Postby Stu blu » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:59 pm

Really.

Not sure i want to know much more, but am pleased for your good fortune

If lifes so good without them, makes you wonder why we havent evolved enough to loose them yet. Supose theres plenty of time yet!
Stu blu

Postby Chris F » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:41 pm

had both my lower ribs removed. ....... helps me with other stuff

Like showing off your breasts in a bikini?
Last edited by Chris F on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris F

Postby Black » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:51 pm

any ideas to stop/ reduce it?
Develop a beer belly, this will keep most of the lower chest area free of the board. :D
Black

Postby A.Jarvo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:38 pm

Know all about this, Roberdy is right about core strength. I use to get it everytime I surfed (down devon once a month max) now I am surfing most days im out in just my boardies (living in sydney) and have no problems with "rib rash". I used to find that wearing a rash vest under my wetsuit decreased the rubbing impact on the ribs aswell try that, I saw one bloke in Newquay who put duck tape on both of his lower ribs!? Maybe try that if a rashy doesn't help.
A.Jarvo

Postby jesster » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:18 am

I split the skin on my breasts if I surf for more than 4 hours a day in a wetsuit as they get unnaturally squashed in. It's one reason to keep going to Central America to go surfing I suppose....!
jesster

Postby thomas_rj » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:26 am

Rash sometimes experienced, swelling I haven't seen but then I dont spend a lot of time in front of the mirror after surfing. My advice is to experiment with various clothing until you find something that works for you.. I think I have had some 5 or 6 rash guard t-shirts and most of those are ok, but one of them gave me a bad rash, and I let a friend have it - who also ended up with the same problem. The shirt was passed to another friend with same negative result and is now rotting in a closet somewhere never to be found again.
On the other hand I think that as well as bad products there is a person factor in here, as someone says in this thread that the wetsuit causes problems with rash - to me that is exactly the best solution. However, with summer rolling over to autumn here it is still to hot most days to wear it, so I go on living with the odd rash day now and then. mer rolling over to autumn here it is still to hot most days to wear it.r
PS> if someone said central america was the solution I can at least provide witness that in South America we get rash too. :roll:
thomas_rj

Return to Learn to Surf