Board for the larger surfer

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Board for the larger surfer

Postby tcea80 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:59 pm

I've recently started surfing, had a couple of lessons and renting a board when I can and I'm now keen to get my own board so I can be on the water more often. As surfers go I'm larger than most being 6'7" and about 16 stone, but very active, have windsurfed for years and been SUPing, so progressed on the surf school foam boards quicker than most.

Question is what size board should I get?? Advice seems to be a mini mal but I've been told everything from 7'2" to 10' in terms of size so no idea what to consider. I don't want something that will be stupidly difficult to learn on but equally don't want to be bored after a month. Most of the waves I'm out on at the moment are about 3' to 5'

Any pointers on size and model would be really appreciated

Thanks

Tom
tcea80

Re: Board for the larger surfer

Postby helston90 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:49 pm

A lot of that decision depends on your surfing style really.
I'm 6'2 and 16 stone and have 2 boards depending on my mood/ conditions.

First is a 7'2 thruster- made sure this was nice and wide (21') and pretty thick (2 and 5/8th) therefore giving me enough float to catch the waves. This is my thrash and burn board with a lot of rocker for late drops (depends on the type of wave you're on). or a longboard could be a great next step for you. at 9'8 the foam isn't an issue for float, also planes well and because it gets into the wave earlier and is a slower drop gives me time to pop up (takes longer being taller and heavier) but is then a bit more mellow and chilled out (unless i push it) which can be just as much fun.

Both these would work as a next step board for you- so ask what sort of surfing you're wanting to do/ most likely to be doing then get out and rent a few to see.

Sorry post is all opinion and not fact but hey- should be useful.
helston90

Postby r896neo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:17 pm

I'm 6'5 and 16 1/2st and i too have a 7'2 fatboy flyer type board at 21"x 2 5/8. I also have an 8'6 minmal.

For a while i had a 7'2 nsp funboard type shape and then as i got above very basic beginner stuff i thought I can only afford one board at the minute so i i'll get a board that is middle of the road and will work in most conditions so i sold the nsp and bought the 7'2.

I struggled away on this for about a year only getting up once a month and got my pop-up nailed but still found it really hard to get rides down the line. Then i saw the battered 8'6 on gumtree dead cheap and bought it. My surfing improved so quickly because my wave count was so high. Getting into waves earlier made it easier to get down the line and this all began to score me some great waves. Then my stoke rocketed and i started getting up much more etc etc.

It was literally the first 4/5 sessions riding the 8'6 and getting those first few great rides down the line for something major to click and now another year down the track i can surf the either the 8'6 or 7'2 so much better. I can't say how sorry i am i didn't get the 8'6 first it just sped up my learning so much and whilst i think i would have got there on the 7'2 alone it would have taken so much longer.
r896neo

Postby tcea80 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:25 pm

Thanks for the advice, general theme seems to be not to try and be too ambitious too soon so will ignore the bloke who was recommending a 6'6" fish to me yesterday!

In terms of board brands are the bulk produced NSP/Bic boards any good or to be avoided? Seems to be a lot of snobbery about them without any fact...
tcea80

Postby helston90 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:01 pm

Hmm yeah if you're looking to progress your skills a 6'6 fish isn't the way to go- it'll not give you enough float to get a high enough wave count and will probably be squirrelly as you like- having said that there are some thick and wide fish to take your weight but all will be squirrelly.

If you're not planning on keeping it as a pride and joy then those makes are ok to learn basics on- but you'll definately need something else to take you to the next level- so may be worth just avoiding them and getting something half decent the first time round?
helston90

Postby Rickyroughneck » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:23 pm

r896neo wrote:I'm 6'5 and 16 1/2st and i too have a 7'2 fatboy flyer type board at 21"x 2 5/8. I also have an 8'6 minmal.

For a while i had a 7'2 nsp funboard type shape and then as i got above very basic beginner stuff i thought I can only afford one board at the minute so i i'll get a board that is middle of the road and will work in most conditions so i sold the nsp and bought the 7'2.

I struggled away on this for about a year only getting up once a month and got my pop-up nailed but still found it really hard to get rides down the line. Then i saw the battered 8'6 on gumtree dead cheap and bought it. My surfing improved so quickly because my wave count was so high. Getting into waves earlier made it easier to get down the line and this all began to score me some great waves. Then my stoke rocketed and i started getting up much more etc etc.

It was literally the first 4/5 sessions riding the 8'6 and getting those first few great rides down the line for something major to click and now another year down the track i can surf the either the 8'6 or 7'2 so much better. I can't say how sorry i am i didn't get the 8'6 first it just sped up my learning so much and whilst i think i would have got there on the 7'2 alone it would have taken so much longer.

Out of curiosity, what was it like going from an NSP to an equally sized custom? Most of the people I know graduate from an NSP onto a board a foot or so shorter.
Rickyroughneck

Postby r896neo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:45 pm

In my opinion having tried out mine obviously and then a friends 7'6 the nsp's are noticably better than bics which i have tried (a 7'9 and 7'2) but then i was converted once i rode my first wave on a friends fibreglass board. It was much faster and sat much better in the water, people talk about bics etc being floaty and i now know what they mean.

My 7'2 nsp was a minimal/funboard type shape whereas my 7'2 custom is a shortboard template, although wider and a little thicker than normal. So the difference in float was pretty serious. The massively reduced volume at the nose makes it very different.
r896neo

Postby wannabesurfer2003 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:46 pm

Hey Tcea,

I am only 5'8" but at 13 stone fairly heavy, I trid to progress far too quiclky and it held me back due to a low wave count and frustration getting the better of me. I bought my 7'6" carver which has way more float than the 6'10" I was trying to conquer and also got my hands on an epoxy custard point quad fish, the quad fish is awesome on clean small days as it catches anything and is bullet proof in terms of knocks and dings, the carver is a great all round board for any conditions I am able to handle andhas brought my surfing on no end. I have just bought a 7ft Matt Adams fish with less volume all round and hopefully willcontinue to progress, I guess in my linited experience I am saying don't go too small too quick, enjoy the big boards for they are, wave magnets and training tools.

With ref to pop outs I am not snobby as my daughter rides one but I never got on with them, found them skittish and too corky to ride properly, hope some of this helps, enjoy,

Joe :mrgreen:
wannabesurfer2003

Return to Learn to Surf