Thoughts on this board pls?

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Thoughts on this board pls?

Postby nexusfox » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:38 pm

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been discussed before, I'm a beginner and took a few lessons and am interested in getting my own board. I saw online for these soft-top but not sure what you guys think about it.

http://www.softsurfboards.com/Soft%20SurfBoards.htm

They're called liquid shredders and it's vinyl covered soft boards, and they just seem a bit better than the usual beginner foam boards that I've been using in lessons because those could become water logged and difficult to use. Anyone had any experience with them? Or other recommendations?

Thanks!
nexusfox

Re: Thoughts on this board pls?

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:09 pm

People have different opinions on these. Personally I would only stick to a soft top whilst your renting stuff from a surf shop. They are very useful when you first start trying to get to grips with the very basics. However if you're going to be putting in a lot of time in the water and have the determination to learn then I wouldn't buy one of these for yourself. Get a used, custom shaped board suitable to your size (a mini mal is perfect) as soon as you have mastered the whitewater on the foam tops from the shop. It is a bit of a learning curve but nothing you can't cope with if you put the hours in.

These boards might be good for soft top boards but to be honest I don't really know much about soft tops other than they are safe and good for the first sessions in the white water. They are not known for their performance and I thnk you would be looking to sell it in the very near future as soon as you start getting to grips with paddling for unbroken waves. I would buy one of these if I had children and was looking for something to take on holidays to the beach that could be thrown around safely and get learning on.
Jim Birtwisle

Postby nezu » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:15 pm

I've used them (am a beginner) but prefer the usual foamies. The liquid shredders quite stable but can be slippery - well I seemed to go flying off them a lot. The top can also crack making them waterlogged. Having said that I am considering getting one of the big ones for my autistic son because of their stability (but I keep changing my mind so will probably end up getting something different).

I bought a cheap, second hand but watertight foamie and plan to get something a bit better soonish - will probably get something like a mini mal (although I'm ancient and need all the help I can get so I keep changing my mind about that as well).
nezu

Postby nexusfox » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:34 pm

Thanks both. I read a review online on them saying that they are good alternatives to the foamies and since I was getting bruises already even using the foamies I thought about getting them. The review does say you need to wax them though. But seems like going to a minimal is what many are recommending so I'll see if I could find a good used one.
nexusfox

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:17 am

nexusfox wrote: But seems like going to a minimal is what many are recommending so I'll see if I could find a good used one.

Good choice, should be able to get one for no more than £200. If you keep it up and surf as much as you can you'll soon see it's the right way to go
Jim Birtwisle

Postby surfbeard » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:38 pm

Liquid shredders, utter turd! Had some at a centre I worked at. Wooden stringer protruded in no time & then dug in your chest, avoid!
surfbeard

Postby thenouvellesband » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:56 pm

No way, these and foamers are horrible, get a demigun (Fra) (my new "1st board" lol) and learn to ride!!! (Tho tbh i said this about a shorty 2 wks ago and bust bones and board alike!!!)
thenouvellesband

Postby bing » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:09 pm

pm'd
bing

Return to Learn to Surf