2nd surfboard

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

2nd surfboard

Postby Sawosz » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:58 pm

I currently own a BIC 8,4 board but am looking for something better. I guess I pop up on the board ok, manage to catch smaller waves, do bottom turns, go down along the wave and well... basicaly thats it. Since the pop out is so big heavy and generally cumbersome I would like to switch it up for something custom and I think ordering from UK is my best bet (I live in Poland). Usually I surf on vacations (been a couple of times to Portugal, Spain and France) and weekends when there is a wind swell on baltic sea (very inconsistent and low quality wave) so I prolly need something for around knee to shoulder, mushy waves. Id like the board to have decent paddling power and speed but I would be glad if it had at least a bit more maneuvrability than the BIC board has, plus I need to learn how to duck- dive ;) Anone can give me advice on shapers based in the UK plus on shape and size of a board that would be good for me?? Im doing my research on the internet but hearing advice from other possibly more advanced people would be nice too. Thanks!
Sawosz

Re: 2nd surfboard

Postby Finster » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:46 pm

It's not because your 8'4" surfboard is a pop out that it is heavy. It is because of the size /thickness of the board. If you are wanting to move down in size because you want to have more maneuverability and get a surfboard that you can learn to duck dive you can do it with a pop out or a custom shaped board.
Your size and weight will play a role in how small the board should be to meet your needs. Paddling / maneuverability / duck diving.
Finster

Postby Sawosz » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:46 pm

Im around 70 kg and 171 cm. Does a pop out have any benefits over a custom shaped board??
Sawosz

Postby Rickyroughneck » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:35 pm

Sawosz wrote:Im around 70 kg and 171 cm. Does a pop out have any benefits over a custom shaped board??

Price, durability and float normally.
Rickyroughneck

Postby monkeystyle » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:12 pm

I'd go for a mass produced board rather than a custom, unless you are going to get more boards over the years from the same shaper as you get better. The reason being that you could get a dog and be really dissapointed, and you probably won't need to buy another baord for years.

At your weight and experience, I'd recommend a 6'8" fish, 21 inches wide, about 3 inches (or ever so slightly less) thick. Guaranteed to float you above the water and paddle well with stability. have a look at surf industries website for a super fish xl or something similar. The more foam in the board the better if you only surf infrequently, but don't go too long, you don't need length, just buoyancy. Good luck.
I was called off a wave by a hipster who looked like Leo Sayer... whats with the ironic moustache look?
monkeystyle

Postby Red dog » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:45 pm

Recently gone through the same process as yourself. Been using an 8ft Mini mal but wanted something a little more manoevrable and something that wasn`t so damn hard to duck dive with. Phoned a few surf shops and quite a few suggested the Santa cruz 7ft pumpkin seed, so far it`s turned out to be a good choice.
Only a couple of sessions before the `pop up` came easily and turning is much easier now, the board is very buoyant with loads of volume so it hasn`t seemed like that much of a drop. :-)
Red dog

Return to Learn to Surf