Pop Up Problems

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Pop Up Problems

Postby b_smith94 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:00 pm

Hey,

I have recently changed boards from a long-board to a 6ft 4in Short-board. I have managed to get used to the board in respect to actually catching the wave but I am having trouble when it comes to the pop up. On the beach when practising I can get to my feet no problem and seem to have a good technique but when on the board on the wave for some reason my back leg gets on fine but my front leg always ends up going on to my knee and this obviously makes me fall of pretty quick. I understand this is the hardest part of the adaptation to the new board but I am getting frustrated as I feel like I am so close. I have trying for about 2 weeks know and understand that this can take a while to crack but still would like to get some opinions on the matter.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
b_smith94

Re: Pop Up Problems

Postby monkeystyle » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:06 pm

Stretch before you go out. Makes you more in control or where your body is!

Hold the rails until you are on your feet.

Don't think of it as a "pop up", it's a slow smooth movement, seen how good surfers push them selves up, wait until they are in a good position in the lip and then only stand up when they are making the drop. Do it slower and smoother but don't make the mistake of trying to stand up at the bottom of the wave, you stall and bog down.

Good luck :?
I was called off a wave by a hipster who looked like Leo Sayer... whats with the ironic moustache look?
monkeystyle

Postby wjp1 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:31 am

that's quite a jump form a long board (9'+ ?) down to a 6'4 - I went from a 8' to a 7' and it only took a week or two to get comfortable with the pop. But I'm gonna stay on that for a few months now, as there's plenty to learn with this board before jumping down a size.
As someone said above - keep the whole moment smooth, and make sure you're on the good part of the wave (board tilting down the face) and not nearly on the flat, then your front foot should just naturally place on the front.
wjp1

Postby b_smith94 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:56 am

Thanks for your help guys. There is some helpful stuff there.
b_smith94

Postby cckay79 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:09 pm

I;ve just come down from a 7'2 to a 6' chilli (a big drop but its fat so I can cope :-) ) Anyway I found the pop realy hard after using my toes, but I took a look at utube and then I practised on land and I'm practising in the water. You do feel like you have started surfing all over again, but when you get it the buzz is imense - I still mess up but Im getting it more and more. I'm not sure if this will help but I put my hands as close to my hips as possible and throw myself forward (maybe with a little bounce off my thighs). Its helped me to practice on land and in the water - muscle memory and all that - just practice and you'll be fine
cckay79

Postby jesster » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:38 pm

I used to get this problem, could bring my back foot under quick as but found my front trailing. I never used to touch a knee though, had that drilled in to me from the start!

I found that since my right foot was fully automatic and I didn't need to think about it, I just used to concentrate on my left leg alone and visualise it coming through a treat. Worked a charm!

Nowadays, I still find it happens though if I don't surf for a couple of weeks and it also happens if I get cold in the water. So the guy who said about the stretching has a very good point!
jesster

Postby Leven » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:15 pm

Stretch (hips and hamstrings especially), and don't worry about your back foot, that should land automatically if your front foot is right. Picture the place on the board you want it to land, paddle, brief pause to make sure you're in the wave, and then BANG! Practice makes perfect! If you can't get to the beach, do anything to simulate water, even towels/duvets on the floor, with your board on top!
Leven

Postby monkeystyle » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:39 am

Fully agree leven - its muscle memory. Do it 100 times and it becomes second nature. Try wearing your0 wesuit when you do it too
I was called off a wave by a hipster who looked like Leo Sayer... whats with the ironic moustache look?
monkeystyle

Postby martski » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:26 am

Help me.....Am stuck in a rut with getting up on my front knee, then back foot up and then front foot up. I know it is wrong but cannot shake it. Keep telling myself to get front up first but everything happens so damn fast that thoughts fly out of the window!

Any tips to get me out of this fix as I can't seem to progress to bigger clean waves as I am surfing out the bottom of the drop before I can get up...
martski

Postby wigsy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:42 am

Practise Burpees on dry land?

Then start adding a twist at the end after a few sessions?

I know you may think you look a tool, but it'll help!
wigsy

Postby Poo Stance » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:40 pm

If you are catching unbroken waves. Try angling your take off in the direction you want to go. This should give you more time to get to your feet as you are not bombing to the bottom of the wave the minute you catch it. Even try just bodyboarding along the wave for a few waves.

After a while it all slows down, but yeah, when you 1st start everything happens in a flash and it's all over before you even get a chance to react.

Also, as said practice on land. I also like to practice in the water too, when I'm just sitting waiting for waves. The board is less stable so I assume it helps a wee bit, despite looking like a twat. Also can gauge where I'm putting my feet. Really need to work on getting my back foot further back still. Now thats a habit your should be focusing on for sure.
Poo Stance

Postby martski » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:56 am

Thanks, 15 and a half stone from prone to standing in a couple of seconds is never going to be easy!

Practice in the dry and the wet seems to be the only way, as well as lose a couple of pounds/stone.

Cheers gents.
martski

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:55 pm

I just used to add practice pop-ups to my existing workout routine. I found that doing 'hand clap' press ups really helped me with the explosive force needed in that critical moment. After doing a few of these I'd rest for 2 minutes then use some sort of marker as to where I would want my feet to land and just do practice pop-ups until I nailed them every time. If you're outside just chalk a couple of lines on the ground or use the pattern on a matt or rug to guide you. I don't need to do them any more but still do a lot of hand clap push ups. If you do all you can to improve this explosive burst of power and your paddle power in general (cardio is also good of course) you'll start being able to paddle from further back, catch the wave that bit earlier and ultimatley increase the time you have just before dropping in. I agree with the advice above, try body boarding a couple to begin with but try and get into the wave as early as possible, point the nose down so the board starts to tip down the wave and just ride it prone but with your head up and arms locked straight, looking down the line of the wave, you'll soon find that with the pop up assigned to muscle memory and the board angled down the slope you'll be popping up much better. This kinda worked for me anyhow.
Jim Birtwisle

Postby hotzone » Tue May 01, 2012 3:52 pm

dont hold rails on take off. just look up. when you hold rails you can never let go. it is like holding elictrisity. your muscles contract while you are pulling to hold balance. when you look down you block yourself aswell. leave the hands quite far under your shest. pust look forward , then place the backfoot where the knee is and after your front where your hands are. leave your back knee in, both hands aim to the front and keep looking where you want to go.
should be ok then
good luck
kind regards,
oscar
hotzone

Return to Learn to Surf