Hi guys

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Hi guys

Postby hooty_boy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:24 am

Hi all,

I'm fairly new here, I've been poking around for awhile now reading and listening :-D

I want to start buying my first set of surfing gear at the end of next week! PAYDAY wohoo!

I've been looking for a winter wetsuit and I've found this: http://wetsuits.ocean24seven.com/h44m03 ... 3870-p.asp

Would this be ok for a beginner?
I've seen this also on the same site, it's alot cheaper! (More my kinda price range)
http://wetsuits.ocean24seven.com/pr1207 ... 1297-p.asp

Which would be better for a beginner, I'm not too sure what I should be looking out for, all I know is that I don't wanna get cold and get put off surfing until the summer :?

Thoughts, comments would be apprechiated,

Hooty
hooty_boy

Re: Hi guys

Postby the lush » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:01 pm

If you haven't tried a wetsuit on don't buy it online. They all fit differently and you really need the best fitting suit possible for winter.

If you know the billabong suits fit, try wetsuitoutlet.co.uk as they have previous seasons suits at pretty good prices. However, if you aren't sure, you'll have to go through the sweaty process of dragging yourself into a couple of 5mm suits just to find which brand fits best.

Good luck!
the lush

Postby hooty_boy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:56 pm

I know this might sound like a bit of a silly question but...

Do they really get that warm? Wetsuits I mean
hooty_boy

Postby monkeystyle » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:10 am

Yes and no.

Good ones that fit and don't leak are great, bad ones that leak and don't fit are freezing.

Try shore dot co dot uk and boardriders.c.uk - both are excellent and and have great return services so if it didn't fit you could send it back... fit means no looseness and no tomato coloured head!
I was called off a wave by a hipster who looked like Leo Sayer... whats with the ironic moustache look?
monkeystyle

Postby hooty_boy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:24 pm

monkeystyle wrote:Yes and no.

Good ones that fit and don't leak are great, bad ones that leak and don't fit are freezing.

Try shore dot co dot uk and boardriders.c.uk - both are excellent and and have great return services so if it didn't fit you could send it back... fit means no looseness and no tomato coloured head!

Thanks for that Monkeystyle,

I've popped into Shore a few times as I live quite nearby, never tried on a wettie though
hooty_boy

Postby bakers » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:32 pm

yo! make sure you get yourself a set of boots, ive started wearing mine recently and they do make a lot of difference,
ive got a 5mm hooded excel suit and 5mm split toe excel boots. excels a very good brand.
its definetly worth getting yourself the best set up you can afford as the coldest months are yet to come!
you should also pop to a local sports shop an grab yourself a pair of them tight silky swimming trunks (they should only cost about £3) to wear under your wetsuit. dont have to worry about your wang flopping out when your getting changed in the car park en.
bakers

Postby hooty_boy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:49 am

Yeah, I'll have to look into getting the boots and hood another time, xmas hit my bank balance hard haha!

I did order this last week http://wetsuits.ocean24seven.com/h44m03-billabong-wetsuits-2012-sg5-43mm-gbs-back-zip-mens-winter-wetsuit--barrier-3870-p.asp

I can't wait to get it and get out on the water, a friend of mine will lend me his board to practice on until I get my own ^^
hooty_boy

Postby bakers » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:54 pm

looks like good stuff matey,
tell me about it, gave my bank account a real beating over christmas, invested in a brand new board :D .
enjoy the surf!!
bakers

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:58 am

the lush wrote:If you haven't tried a wetsuit on don't buy it online. They all fit differently and you really need the best fitting suit possible for winter.

If you know the billabong suits fit, try wetsuitoutlet.co.uk as they have previous seasons suits at pretty good prices. However, if you aren't sure, you'll have to go through the sweaty process of dragging yourself into a couple of 5mm suits just to find which brand fits best.

Good luck!

Best advice I've read for a while. There's no substitute for trying suits on before you buy so don't worry too much about which brand (you'll hear praise and sob stories about all of them). Snuggest fit wins the day. When I was buying my first wetsuit I was told that it's much more important to get that right before worrying about a board, it doesn't matter what board you own if your suit won't allow you the comfort to go out and surf it! So take your time and try on a few, don't feel pressured into buying one at the first shop you visit if you're not too sure.
Jim Birtwisle

Return to Learn to Surf