If the front foot lands in incorrect position..

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

If the front foot lands in incorrect position..

Postby desinaner » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:30 pm

Hey guys

New to the forums here. Hopefully I can contribute as well as learn more about the sport!

I went surfing yesterday in manasquan, nj with my brother, and this one way I caught got my attention. It was a solid good-sized wave, and it was definitely my longest ride of the day, but I couldn't do much on it because of how I popped up. I popped up and made the descent, but I noticed my front foot was way to close to my toe-side rail. How could I have fixed this because I have noticed that in the past if I lift my front foot up the board shoots right up to it because of the pressure from my back foot. I generally do not have this problem with my back foot because I can keep weight on my front foot (center of board) and move my right foot around a little.

Should I be doing a 'shuffle', and then relocate my back foot? I have even tried to put my front hand down to weight the board while I shift..

Thanks for any suggestions!

Mike
desinaner

Re: If the front foot lands in incorrect position..

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:23 pm

Don't get your hands involved once you've popped up. It really comes down to what kind of board you are riding as to whether you can shift around. If you are on a big enough board then you can. You'll often see people on SUP's, long boards and mini mals shuffling about to get their weight in the right place to make the most of the wave. But don't stress too much. If you keep surfing you'll soon be popping up with your feet in the correct position and not even thinking about it 99% of the time.
Jim Birtwisle

Postby desinaner » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:42 am

Thanks for your reply Jim.

I have been surfing for almost five years now though, and for the most part, I pop up into the correct position every time. I'm usually surfing a shortie. Was just curious as to what to do when the front foot happens to land in a bad place because it messes my whole wave up.
desinaner

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:33 am

You're probably more experienced than me then as I've only been surfing 2 years and shortboards for the past 10 months. It just happens now and again I guess. If it doesn't cause you to imminently fall off the board then I suppose the best thing to do is to surf the wave as your stance allows. I occasionally find myself a little to far forward and if I don't have time to adjust I just surf the wave a bit more front foot style rather than back foot.
Jim Birtwisle

Postby baggins » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:46 pm

Jim Birtwisle wrote: I've only been surfing 2 years and shortboards for the past 10 months.

Jim out of curiousity and all that.. what board were you surfing before you went for a shorter board - at what point did you go for a shortboard?

I'm on a minimal and am saying to myself 'get a shortboard once you have pulled off a decent bottom turn then cutback and trimmed'
baggins

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:04 pm

I was riding a 7'4 mini mal. I'm 5'10 and around 10.5 stone so it was a good board for me. After I got to grips with cutting back to the pocket and other basic turns I decided to take quite a big step and went down to a 6'1 Black & White quad. Took a bit of getting used to and perhaps wouldn't reccomend such a steep learning curve to everyone, however I was determined to put in the work and since then it's become my favourite board for most waves. I've also since bought a thruster for bigger days in a 6'0. If you're up and going down the line every time and putting some turns in then go for it. You'll spend a few sessions getting used to where you need to be and how fast the board is but it's a fun challenge.
Jim Birtwisle

Return to Learn to Surf